Author Topic: UNREAL: Senate Deal Changes Rules For Future Debt Ceiling Increases, Congress Would Need Two-Thirds Majority To Stop Obama From Raising Borrowing Limit  (Read 5744 times)

famousdayandyear

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/10/16/unreal-senate-budget-deal-changes-rules-for-future-debt-ceiling-increases-congress-would-need-two-thirds-majority-to-stop-raising-borrowing-limit/

UNREAL: Senate Deal Changes Rules For Future Debt Ceiling Increases, Congress Would Need Two-Thirds Majority To Stop Obama From Raising Borrowing Limit…

Politico buries this towards the very end of their story on the Senate budget deal.

Via Politico:

. . . The Senate plan includes a proposal offered by McConnell in the 2011 debt ceiling crisis that allows Congress to disapprove of the debt ceiling increase, which means lawmakers will formally vote on whether to reject a debt ceiling increase until Feb. 7. Obama can veto that legislation if it passes. If Congress fails as expected to gather a two-thirds majority to override the veto, the debt ceiling would be raised.

The deal would also deliver back pay to furloughed federal workers, require income verification for people seeking health-insurance subsidies under the Affordable Care Act and also allow the Treasury Department to use extraordinary measures to pay the nation’s bills if Congress doesn’t raise the debt ceiling by Feb. 7.

McConnell was pushing hard to include language to give federal agencies more flexibility to implement the sequester, something Reid was objecting to Wednesday morning, sources say. Democrats argue that provision would make it harder to eliminate the sequester in the future and it was not included in the final package. A new round of sequester cuts will be enacted in January without further congressional action, mostly hitting the defense side of spending.

HT: Jay

ZIP | October 16, 2013 8:48 pm |

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rebub's got a real good deal....cowards the lot of them....except for 18 of them...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

famousdayandyear

Rebub's got a real good deal....cowards the lot of them....except for 18 of them...

Huh? 
Without close study, this has "unconstitutional" all over it.  More than cowardice--it's called "treason".

Offline sinkspur

Until Feb. 7.  Did anybody read that? 

After Feb. 7, this provision is moot.

The important part of this deal is that the sequester cuts are still in effect.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

You continue to hang your hat on sequester because you do not understand sequester did not CUT anything from the budget, it just took a miniscule amount out of the 2013 budget.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

Funny, thought you were out busy providing a living for you and your family.

Offline sinkspur

You continue to hang your hat on sequester because you do not understand sequester did not CUT anything from the budget, it just took a miniscule amount out of the 2013 budget.

So sequester cuts, which Democrats screamed and swore would bring down the country, are no big deal to you.

3% of the budget is more than the Republicans cut when they had the Congress and the Presidency.  I'd say that's quite a feat.

Offline sinkspur

Funny, thought you were out busy providing a living for you and your family.

I'm always workin', famous. 

You?

Offline Rapunzel

So sequester cuts, which Democrats screamed and swore would bring down the country, are no big deal to you.

3% of the budget is more than the Republicans cut when they had the Congress and the Presidency.  I'd say that's quite a feat.

It isn't even close to being a major feat... we are 90 TRILLION in debt.

famousdayandyear

I'm always workin', famous. 

You?

Just what I thought--inferring your time here includes your "work"

As for me, none of your business.  I jes done been did my time the hard way--for a startup in Silicon Valley -- doing the work to create what the rest of you enjoy as a luxurious necessity these days.

So my presence here is my down time, attempting (apparently with little success) to preserve the truth as I understand it.

Me?  I like the site and try to contribute to it's success,

Offline sinkspur

It isn't even close to being a major feat... we are 90 TRILLION in debt.

I get it.  You hate politicians. 

Why are you on a political site?  Just to piss and moan?

Offline sinkspur

Just what I thought--inferring your time here includes your "work"

As for me, none of your business.  I jes done been did my time the hard way--for a startup in Silicon Valley -- doing the work to create what the rest of you enjoy as a luxurious necessity these days.

So my presence here is my down time, attempting (apparently with little success) to preserve the truth as I understand it.

Me?  I like the site and try to contribute to it's success,

I think you are preserving the truth and contributing to the success of GOPBR.

I do the same.  We agree on some things, disagree on others.  That's what keeps a site vibrant.

famousdayandyear

I think you are preserving the truth and contributing to the success of GOPBR.

I do the same.  We agree on some things, disagree on others.  That's what keeps a site vibrant.

Appreciate the polite and peaceful response. 
For the record, I am not paid for any time reading or posting on this site.

Offline sinkspur

Appreciate the polite and peaceful response. 
For the record, I am not paid for any time reading or posting on this site.

Neither am I. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is exactly why bills are posted for public viewing two days prior to being voted on and the president won't sign it for five days after it was voted on to ensure it has time to be reviewed....

....oh wait, that was a campaign promise. What was I thinking?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Huh? 
Without close study, this has "unconstitutional" all over it.  More than cowardice--it's called "treason".

It will be a much shorter list to find the things they did Constitutionally than unconstitutionally. For the past few years, you could probably count the former on one hand.

Offline Rapunzel

Offline sinkspur

Offline SlapLeather

I foresee an 11% across the board tax hike... and a down our throat VAT tax.  It's for the children.. don'tcha' know.

a pair of two's..  Good Lord, wake us soon.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

:vote: blij26

Not a chance.  Won't get $$ from me.
http://www.politico.com/politicoinfluence/0813/politicoinfluence11490.html
RNC OUTRAISES DNC BY $2 MILLION: The Republican National Committee has posted another month of strong fundraising, besting its Democratic counterpart by about $2 million. The RNC raised $5.9 million in July, against the $3.8 million posted by the Democratic National Committee. The RNC had $12.3 million cash on hand at the end of July. The DNC has $4.1 million cash on hand but an $18 million debt hole left to work out of. “There’s great energy in the Republican Party, and we stand united behind the cause of building a permanent, nationwide campaign,” RNC chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement.

We will survive somehow.

famousdayandyear

http://www.politico.com/politicoinfluence/0813/politicoinfluence11490.html
RNC OUTRAISES DNC BY $2 MILLION: The Republican National Committee has posted another month of strong fundraising, besting its Democratic counterpart by about $2 million. The RNC raised $5.9 million in July, against the $3.8 million posted by the Democratic National Committee. The RNC had $12.3 million cash on hand at the end of July. The DNC has $4.1 million cash on hand but an $18 million debt hole left to work out of. “There’s great energy in the Republican Party, and we stand united behind the cause of building a permanent, nationwide campaign,” RNC chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement.

We will survive somehow.

You will survive.  For what purpose?  More capitulation and back-door deals to keep the trough full and flowing for the selected feeders?

You will survive.  For what purpose?  More capitulation and back-door deals to keep the trough full and flowing for the selected feeders?
You're using some loaded words Famous.  I wish I didn't have to say I'm a father of 5,  I love my country, and I want a bright future for everybody.  I don't know your position on every issue but I think we probably agree on many goals.  A balanced budget.  An end to abortion.  An end to Obamacare.  The end of illegal immigration.  No erosion of our rights to speech and self protection.  A population that is more self reliant.

Where we disagree is tactics.  I am saddened at my failure to express my ideas so badly that you would believe I want reckless spending and promotion of the parasites of our society.

I don't believe you are stupid because you believe conservatives had the power to stop the SCOTUS upheld ACA law.  I don't think you are evil because you thought some magical grass roots would rise up and force the GOP to sacrifice their careers on a plan with no direction.  I don't believe you must be drunk to suggest principles are what a majority of voters want.  I just think you are wrong.  Not evil.

Lets not insult the motives of each other or this will get boring fast.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:17:37 am by Once-Ler »