Author Topic: Conservatives say Boehner's job is safe  (Read 1776 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Conservatives say Boehner's job is safe
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:09:51 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/328861-conservative-say-boehner-in-no-danger-of-ouster

Conservatives say Boehner's job is safe
By Russell Berman - 10/16/13 01:33 PM ET

House conservatives said Wednesday that Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is in no danger of losing his post, despite presiding over a Republican defeat in the fight over government funding and the debt ceiling.

“I don’t think Speaker Boehner has anything to worry about right now,” said Rep. Raúl Labrador (R-Idaho), a conservative who refused to vote for Boehner in January.

Speaking at an event with fellow conservatives, Labrador said he was “really proud” of Boehner’s handling of the fiscal crisis and that, over the last 2 1/2 weeks, “he has been the kind of Speaker I’ve been looking for for the last 2 1/2 years.”

Boehner acceded to conservative demands that the House Republicans press a shutdown fight over the 2010 healthcare law, but those same members repeatedly opposed his proposals to raise the debt ceiling in the last month. The battle culminated Wednesday night when the Speaker scrapped a final plan to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling because he didn’t have sufficient Republican support.

The representative leading the ObamaCare defunding fight in the House said Wednesday that nobody "questions (Boehner's) leadership."

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) told The Hill, "Conservatives feel like he's fought the good fight. ... You can quote me on that."

The House is now expected to accept a Senate agreement, but the bill could pass without the support of a majority of Republicans.

Other conservatives confirmed that they expected no attempt to oust Boehner.

“There is absolutely no talk of anything along those lines. No talk,” said Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a former chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee who frequently opposes leadership proposals.

Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) said Boehner had enhanced his standing in the last month and predicted that conservative clout would not diminish in the fallout from the shutdown fight.

“I have been so pleased and proud of John Boehner during the course of the last month that I have renewed confidence that conservatives will have an opportunity to influence what happens in our conference,” Lummis said.

Labrador placed the blame elsewhere in the GOP.

“I don’t think he should be ashamed of anything he has done,” he said. “I’m more upset at my Republican conference colleagues. There are Republicans here who apparently always want to fight but they always want to fight the next fight, which has given Speaker Boehner the inability to be successful in this fight. So if anybody should be kicked out, it’s all those Republicans and not Speaker Boehner.”

Boehner’s struggle to unite his conference has worried his allies in the Senate, who shook their heads at the latest defeat of a House leadership proposal.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said Wednesday he “deplores” the way Boehner has been treated by his conference.

"I just bitterly resent some of the things that have been done," Hatch said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Conservatives say Boehner's job is safe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:10:13 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:11 pm »
Snide.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:54 pm »
The representative leading the ObamaCare defunding fight in the House said Wednesday that nobody "questions (Boehner's) leadership."

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) told The Hill, "Conservatives feel like he's fought the good fight. ... You can quote me on that."
Okay, we'll quote you. It's utter BS, but we don't disagree you said it, Mark.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »
The only people who matter in Boehner's future are his fellow Republicans, and they're satisfied with him.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:37:27 pm »
The only people who matter in Boehner's future are his fellow Republicans, and they're satisfied with him.
I should think his constituents might matter to his future and whether he has one in Congress, just a bit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »
Safe until he is voted out of office in the primaries.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 10:52:37 pm »
Safe until he is voted out of office in the primaries.

His job is safe.  I'll take bets that he won't be touched in a primary.  He's got one of the safest seats in the House.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »
Picking on Boehner for this is just too easy.   The fault really lies with the McCain wing of the Republican Senate.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:57 am »
Why is his job safe?  **nononono* **nononono* **nononono* He's the George McClellan of politics! :shrug:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 03:41:50 am »
Why is his job safe?  **nononono* **nononono* **nononono* He's the George McClellan of politics! :shrug:

:shrug:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 07:23:28 am »
:shrug:
You really have no idea why he is safe?

famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:19 am »
Read Tom Price name floated around as new speaker.  Can anybody elaborate?