Author Topic: Boehner: 'We fought the good fight'  (Read 3468 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Boehner: 'We fought the good fight'
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:07:39 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/328889-boehner-we-fought-the-good-fight-we-just-didnt-win

Boehner: 'We fought the good fight'
By Rebecca Shabad - 10/16/13 03:24 PM ET

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Wednesday admitted defeat in the fiscal debate that resulted in the government shutdown and pushed the nation toward a default, saying it was a "good fight."

“We just didn’t win,” Boehner told host Bill Cunningham on Cincinnati radio station 700WLW.

Boehner said he would hold a vote in the House on the deal reached in the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) proposed a deal early this week that solidified Wednesday to reopen the government through mid-January and lift the debt ceiling through mid-February.

Boehner said he would meet with Republicans and encourage them to support the Senate deal.

“There’s no reason for our members to vote ‘no’ today,” Boehner said.

Boehner also said he expects the government will reopen Thursday, after a 16-day shutdown.

House Republicans attempted to overtake the Senate plan with a deal of their own Tuesday, but realized that night they didn’t have enough votes, and scrapped it.

The GOP, Boehner said, did everything it could do to negotiate with Democrats, but Democrats stood firm.

“The House has fought with everything it has to convince the president of the United States to engage in bipartisan negotiations aimed at addressing our country's debt and providing fairness for the American people under ObamaCare," Boehner said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. "That fight will continue."

"But blocking the bipartisan agreement reached today by the members of the Senate will not be a tactic for us," he added.

"In addition to the risk of default, doing so would open the door for the Democratic majority in Washington to raise taxes again on the American people and undo the spending caps in the 2011 Budget Control Act without replacing them with better spending cuts."

Boehner said raising taxes is not a viable option, given the state of the nation's economy.

He added that the drive to stop the "train wreck" of ObamaCare will continue.

"We will rely on aggressive oversight that highlights the law's massive flaws and smart, targeted strikes that split the legislative coalition the president has relied upon to force his health care law on the American people.”

Tea Party Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) spearheaded the movement to bring down the healthcare law in the budget and debt-ceiling debates. Moderate Republicans have since blamed him for the shutdown.

Asked by Cunningham what Boehner thinks of Cruz, Boehner said, "Because we’re Republicans, we’re more independent-minded than our friends across the aisle. Some are a little more independent-minded than others.”

The radio host compared Boehner to a soldier at the Alamo who remained with his flag in the ground, knowing he would die. Rumors about the end of his Speakership intensified amid the latest stalemate.

“Listen, there’s no giving up on our team. None. And there’s no giving up in me,” Boehner said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Boehner: 'We fought the good fight'
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:33 pm »
Orange you sorry we can't defeat Obama on anything, Mr. Boehner?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »
Orange you sorry we can't defeat Obama on anything, Mr. Boehner?

You forgot the sequester and gun control.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Olivia

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:23 pm »
He should be crying!  I'd like to see his crybaby ass thrown out on his head!
Tomorrow he'll be playing golf with Obama and all his perks will be intact!
The American people are the ones that should be crying!!     :nometalk:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:14:51 pm »
All Boehner proved is Obama no longer has to bother with the GOP at all and can do whatever he wants for the next three years.  That is a surrender of congress and the right of all spending and funding starts in the House of Representatives.  John Boehner is a loser - LOSER!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:56:19 pm »
Just heard and interesting interview with Sen. Cruz on Mark Levin.

Cruz, too, thinks the House stood strong for two weeks.  But the Republicans in the Senate chose to fight them instead of rushing "like the Calvary" to help.

I do put the fault for this outcome on the long-term, dead weight Republican Senators. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:56:53 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." -Winston Churchill
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 11:03:57 pm »
The GOP, Boehner said, did everything it could do to negotiate with Democrats, but Democrats stood firm.

Let's see.  the Democrats won because THEY STOOD FIRM.  Jeez. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:16:21 pm »
Just heard and interesting interview with Sen. Cruz on Mark Levin.

Cruz, too, thinks the House stood strong for two weeks.  But the Republicans in the Senate chose to fight them instead of rushing "like the Calvary" to help.

I do put the fault for this outcome on the long-term, dead weight Republican Senators.

Just exactly how was Obamacare supposed to be defunded when Harry Reid didn't even have to take up the bills sent over by the House?  And, even if he had, and the GOP Senators had somehow been able to muster some Democrats to accomplish defunding, where do they get 67 Senators to override Obama's veto?

The GOP Senators had ZERO power.  Obama and Harry Reid held all the cards.

What's more, Cruz KNEW they held all the cards, but, hey, he raised $225K in the last two weeks.

Which is what this was all about for him.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »

What's more, Cruz KNEW they held all the cards, but, hey, he raised $225K in the last two weeks.

Your insistence on harping about how much money Cruz raised shows just how incredibly out of step you are. If what Cruz was doing was not popular he would not have raised one red cent!  The fact he raised money shows just how pissed off most of us WHO CARE ABOUT THIS COUNTRY ARE and that we will support people who stand up for us instead of Wall Street... of course since your claim to fame is never giving one cent to any politician and your abject support for Obamacare (maybe we should rename it Sinspur-Care) I don't expect you to "get it."
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
Your insistence on harping about how much money Cruz raised shows just how incredibly out of step you are. If what Cruz was doing was not popular he would not have raised one red cent!  The fact he raised money shows just how pissed off most of us WHO CARE ABOUT THIS COUNTRY ARE and that we will support people who stand up for us instead of Wall Street... of course since your claim to fame is never giving one cent to any politician and your abject support for Obamacare (maybe we should rename it Sinspur-Care) I don't expect you to "get it."

Just who is worried about investments? I would give every dime I have to see justice for the American people, at least for those of us who care.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:14 pm »
Just who is worried about investments? I would give every dime I have to see justice for the American people, at least for those of us who care.

Well you just go right ahead and give all your money to these dopey politicians. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »
and this is what Rush said today on his program..........   :amen:

They're covering Ted Cruz every damn day.  Ted Cruz gets coverage any time he wants it.  Why is that?  They hate Ted Cruz.  They despise Ted Cruz.  And yet Ted Cruz has gotten his message out.

Ted Cruz proves two things.  You can go over the media and get to the American people, or you can use the media and get to the American people.  So I don't buy this argument, "Well, they won't cover what we say."  Yeah, if you call a dull, boring press conference and sit there and whine and moan like Ryan did in the vice presidential debate, nobody's gonna notice you.  I mean, you sit there get lambasted by Plugs Biden and you don't react to it?  Jeez.

and this is what drives people like Sink crazy.   He hates Cruz and what he stands for, he did not support Cruz in the election - supported Dewhurst - and is swore NO WAY would Texans vote for Cruz...  well they did and he told them he would fight to overturn Obamacare... so did a lot of other people who did nothing to support Cruz/Lee - who in fact fought them every step of the way.  Just as Americans voted out the GOP in 2006 for lying and being no different than Democrats they will remember this in 2014 and it isn't going to be pretty.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 11:43:19 pm »
Just exactly how was Obamacare supposed to be defunded when Harry Reid didn't even have to take up the bills sent over by the House?  And, even if he had, and the GOP Senators had somehow been able to muster some Democrats to accomplish defunding, where do they get 67 Senators to override Obama's veto?

The GOP Senators had ZERO power.  Obama and Harry Reid held all the cards.

If Cruz raised money ... it means people appreciate his fight and want him to continue.  This is a good thing.

Please stop telling me the GOP Senators have ZERO power .... they have the House and a microphone.  They chose not to join the House and support them.  Such unity would have been very effective.   But the GOP Senate is filled with frightened, little men and women.

We need more with the guts of Senator Cruz, Lee and Paul.   They're the reason the GOP still has a pulse.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45:45 pm »

I'm not out of step.  I know EXACTLY why Cruz is raising his profile.  He's a winner here, even though he was at the forefront of the losers.

I'm proud of never having given a penny to a politician.  Why anybody does is beyond me.

I don't support Obamacare (no matter how many times you spew that I do).

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 11:49:21 pm »
and this is what Rush said today on his program..........   :amen:

and this is what drives people like Sink crazy.   He hates Cruz and what he stands for, he did not support Cruz in the election - supported Dewhurst - and is swore NO WAY would Texans vote for Cruz...  well they did and he told them he would fight to overturn Obamacare... so did a lot of other people who did nothing to support Cruz/Lee - who in fact fought them every step of the way.  Just as Americans voted out the GOP in 2006 for lying and being no different than Democrats they will remember this in 2014 and it isn't going to be pretty.

Don't lie.

I never said Texans wouldn't support Cruz.  I didn't think he'd win, but he did. 

You are DESPERATE that the Republicans lose the House in 2014 as a punishment for Cruz having his ass handed to him. 

You remind me of the guy who puts a gun to his own head and says "Stop, or I'll shoot." 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »
Don't lie.

I never said Texans wouldn't support Cruz.  I didn't think he'd win, but he did. 

You are DESPERATE that the Republicans lose the House in 2014 as a punishment for Cruz having his ass handed to him. 

You remind me of the guy who puts a gun to his own head and says "Stop, or I'll shoot."

Your pal McConnell sold us out for 2 billion dollars and you rail that Ted Cruz raised $225,000 from HONEST American's.  You bitch and moan about Cruz as if he is the freaking Anti-Christ and ignore the CROOKS in DC. I do want the crooks gone - every last one of them and I don't care if they have an R behind their name or a D.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 11:54:04 pm »
Your pal McConnell sold us out for 2 billion dollars and you rail that Ted Cruz raised $225,000 from HONEST American's.  You bitch and moan about Cruz as if he is the freaking Anti-Christ and ignore the CROOKS in DC. I do want the crooks gone - every last one of them and I don't care if they have an R behind their name or a D. 

:thumbsup:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 11:55:24 pm »

What 2 billion dollars? 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 11:56:32 pm »
What 2 billion dollars?

Try reading other articles here for a change... Myst posted the deal he made with Reid here a few minutes ago.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »
Try reading other articles here for a change... Myst posted the deal he made with Reid here a few minutes ago.

Hey, calm down.  I read stuff as I get to it.  You're a real piece of work.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:59 am »
Hey, calm down.  I read stuff as I get to it.  You're a real piece of work.

Relax.  Van Jones agrees with you. 

Offline evadR

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:23 am »
Quote from: Rapunzel on Today at 07:51:45 PM

What 2 billion dollars?

heh...at least he wasn't cheap.
For 2 billion, I'd sell us out too.

Don't take it so hard...down deep we all knew the fix was in from the get go.

And now the clown Boner has us doing the Lucy and the football act by saying we'll be back in December.

FK em..all of em.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:18 pm »
now I hear it was 3 billion...gets better by the day.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.