Author Topic: Unbelievable: Autistic Child Suspended From School for Drawing "Bomb" Cartoon  (Read 1315 times)

Offline happyg

Dear gosh. The things kids can get suspended for these days. Bear in mind, too, that the school repeatedly said they knew the child was harmless and non-violent. But did that matter to them? Of course not. Their collective decision was swift and unmerciful: Suspend that boy!

The Blaze has the details:

Drawing a picture of a cartoon-like bomb on a piece of notebook paper and showing it to other kids was reportedly enough to get a special needs student in South Carolina suspended.

Amy Parham said her son Rhett was suspended from Hillcrest Middle School, even though she says administrators conceded the drawing was non-violent in nature and posed no threat to students.

“They actually reiterated to me they knew he was non-violent,” Parham told WHNS-TV. “They knew he was not actually having a bomb, creating or making a bomb.”

“But that they could not go with out making an example of him and take some type of action because they were worried about their perception,” she continued. “Perception is actually the word he used. Perception is reality, and parents might think you have a bomb or [might be] violent.”

According to Parham, Rhett, who is autistic, made the drawing over the weekend because he is a fan of the video game “Bomber Man.” When he took it to school he showed it to some of his peers, he was reported to the school administration and eventually suspended, she said.

Such a hysterical reaction is difficult to imagine, let alone comprehend. Do school administrators really fear the wrath of unhinged parents so much these days that they’re willing to punish students for…drawing cartoons? When I was in middle school (which, admittedly, wasn’t too long ago) one got suspended for fighting or cheating or mouthing off to a teacher. But drawing pictures? C’mon. I mean, couldn’t the boy’s “infraction” have been handled less dramatically -- say, by kindly asking him to keep his drawings to himself or sending him to the principal’s office for a strongly-worded “talk”? Suspension seems rather uncalled for in this situation. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

My sense is that these jittery administrators didn’t punish the child to “teach” him a lesson; they punished him to protect their own behinds. From what, exactly, remains unclear. But I suppose we should all just get used to these kinds of horror stories. After all, they seem to be happening more and more frequently these days.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/danieldoherty/2013/10/16/insane-autistic-child-suspended-from-school-for-drawing-bomb-cartoon-n1724553?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Offline NavyCanDo

Good God, what would they do with us kids of the 1970s - who use to use our Pee-Chees as our canvas, especially during our rebellious adolescent years of JR High when gross was cool.    Always competing with the other snot-nose kids and their creative art,  I use to gently erase limbs from the track runners, baseball & basketball players replacing the limbs with bloody stumps using a red felt tip pen.    Thought it was funny then in my brain-dead JR days,  but I turned our allright.

The only time my art got me in trouble was in 10th Grade German language class.   The teacher didn't appreciate the pitcher I drew of Hitler sitting on a toilet on the cover of my German  language Book cover.   I don’t know why she drug me out of class by the ear, I thought the picture was pretty dang hilarious, and well done.  Like Picasso, true artist aren’t appreciated until they are dead.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:36:48 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Good lord.

My history exercise book had multiple pages of space battles, carefully and lovingly drawn in 6 colors (I had one of those neat 6 color pens and hated history class.)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Liberal_Spy

Kids are getting kicked out of school for pretending to shoot each other with their fingers.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
As my grandkids would say - "Retreaded."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

Kids are getting kicked out of school for pretending to shoot each other with their fingers.

My High School as did all the high schools in our district had a competitive rifle club. My Highschool yearbook has a photo of the club posing on the steps of the school all holding their rifles and shotguns.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn