Author Topic: Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, avert default  (Read 4349 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, avert default
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=CD199D1B-1B28-4A64-AB45-6414A2E93112

Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, avert default
By: Burgess Everett and Jake Sherman and Manu Raju
October 16, 2013 09:30 AM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell will soon announce an agreement to reopen the government and avert default on U.S. debt, according to several sources familiar with the talks.

The leaders are expected to unveil the accord on the Senate floor at noon.

The House is prepared to move on the Senate’s bill first, sources say, a move that would clear a path to end the first government shutdown in 17 years and avoid an economy-shaking default on U.S. debt. House Republican leadership said there’s no decision yet on whether to move the bill first.

“No decision has been made about how or when a potential Senate agreement could be voted on in the House,” said Boehner spokesman Michael Steel.

It remains unclear when a final vote would occur in the Senate. If no senator blocks action there, that chamber could hold a vote before the House.

Sen. Ted Cruz, who led the crusade to dismantle the health care law in the government funding bill, declined to answer repeated questions from reporters Wednesday morning about whether he would block the deal.

But Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said he felt lawmakers were ready to end the fiscal crisis that has consumed Capitol Hill for more than two weeks.

“If I had to guess, I think people are ready to vote,” Paul said.

If the House passes the bill first and sends it to the upper chamber, it would eliminate some burdensome procedural hurdles in the Senate and require just one procedural roll call with a 60-vote threshold needed to advance the bill toward final passage in the Senate.

It could be an extraordinarily risky play for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), because it’s far from clear any Senate proposal would garner the majority of the House Republican Conference. House Republicans have clung to the so-called Hastert Rule, a mantra that the House speaker should not try to pass a bill that doesn’t have the support of the “majority of the majority.” In this case, that would mean 117 Republicans must support the bill to avoid getting crosswise with the rule. Top GOP sources say it’s unlikely they will reach that level of support.

House Democratic leadership expects an overwhelming majority of its caucus will back the Senate deal.

Financial markets cheered news of an agreement. The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged more than 200 points on Wednesday morning.

The fact that House Republicans are now planning to go that route marks a stunning reversal for the speaker who had backed his conservative wing’s drive to gut Obamacare as part of the government shutdown fight, now in its third week.

It still is not assured that Congress will send President Barack Obama a bill to sign by Thursday, when the Treasury Department warns the country will start running out of cash to pay its bills. Any senator can also hold up the bill in the Senate past the Thursday deadline, but originating the legislation in the House is the fastest path toward passage for lawmakers and is a sign of urgency in the Capitol.

The bill will barely scathe Obamacare, however, and putting it on the floor will mark a huge concession by the House after sparking a 16-day government shutdown over insistence that the health care law be defunded or delayed as a condition to keep the government open. Dozens of conservatives in the House will be disappointed by the proposal and Boehner will need Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to deliver a bevy of votes to pass the bill.

The deal Reid (D-Nev.) and McConnell (R-Ky.) will announce will reopen the government through Jan. 15, lift the debt ceiling through Feb. 7 and develop a bicameral budget committee that would be required to develop a conference report by Dec. 13.

The plan includes a proposal offered by McConnell in the 2011 debt ceiling crisis that allows Congress to disapprove of the debt ceiling increase, which means lawmakers will formally vote on whether to reject of the debt ceiling increase until Feb. 7. Obama can veto that legislation if it passes. If Congress fails as expected to gather a two-thirds majority to override the veto, the debt ceiling would be raised.

The deal would also deliver back pay to furloughed federal workers, require income verification for people seeking health-insurance subsidies under the Affordable Care Act and also allow the Treasury Department to use extraordinary measures to pay the nation’s bills if Congress doesn’t raise the debt ceiling by Feb. 7.

McConnell was pushing hard to include language to give federal agencies more flexibility to implement the sequester, something Reid was objecting to Wednesday morning, sources say. Democrats argue that provision would make it harder to eliminate the sequester in the future and it was not included in the final package. A new round of sequester cuts will be enacted in January without further congressional action, mostly hitting the defense side of spending.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, avert default
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »
Alex Pappas ‏@AlexPappas 3m

Cruz says he wont vote for McConnell-Reid deal
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28:18 pm »
toddstarnes ‏@toddstarnes 3m

Cruz just announced he will not delay Senate vote. #sigh So much for holding the line...
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »
toddstarnes ‏@toddstarnes 33s

Cruz: "The Washington establishment is refusing to listen to the American people."

Patrick Dollard ‏@PatDollard 1m

In this shutdown process, the @GOP proved that it is a lie that it will do whatever it takes to stop ObamaCare

[yep]
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:36:49 pm »
Byron York ‏@ByronYork 2m

RT @JessicaTaylor: Cruz: "Had Senate Republicans united and joined House Republicans, the outcome on this might have been different"

yep
Support the USO

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
toddstarnes ‏@toddstarnes 3m

Cruz just announced he will not delay Senate vote. #sigh So much for holding the line...

Despite what the left, the media, and certain other dolts think, Cruz cannot stop a bill unless there are 40 other Republicans who vote with him.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:03 pm »
Despite what the left, the media, and certain other dolts think, Cruz cannot stop a bill unless there are 40 other Republicans who vote with him.

He can object to a cloture vote, which would force a 3 day delay on voting for cloture and then another day before a final vote.

I'm frankly surprised he didn't object.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:45 pm »
Rush Limbaugh
Do you know the Republican Party now can't wait to move on amnesty? Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, they can't wait. Obama can't wait. After this cave on the shutdown or whatever you want to call it, the next move at light speed is gonna be for amnesty. The Republican Party is leading the way! It doesn't make any sense to me, not in the traditional political sense.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:55:44 pm »
Mark Levin
They win, country loses: debt climbs, Obamacare in place
Support the USO

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:15:43 pm »
If the GOP Establishment thinks things are bad for them now, just wait until they try to win elections without the support of conservatives.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:23:12 pm »
If the GOP Establishment thinks things are bad for them now, just wait until they try to win elections without the support of conservatives.

Go ahead and pout.  If you want to pick up your marbles and go home, the GOP will muddle along the best it can.

One thing's for sure, if the Tea Party adopts that strategy:  none of your candidates will get elected.

The mainstream of the Republican Party needs the Tea Party, but the Tea Party can't get any of its candidates into office without the mainstream Republicans.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:24:36 pm by sinkspur »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »
He can object to a cloture vote, which would force a 3 day delay on voting for cloture and then another day before a final vote.

I'm frankly surprised he didn't object.

Do you have paying job?  Just curious because your two cents seem to littering this forum lately on a 24/7 basis.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »
Do you have paying job?  Just curious because your two cents seem to littering this forum lately on a 24/7 basis.

What an odd question.  What does that have to do with anything? 

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:35:00 pm »
Go ahead and pout.  If you want to pick up your marbles and go home, the GOP will muddle along the best it can.

One thing's for sure, if the Tea Party adopts that strategy:  none of your candidates will get elected.

The mainstream of the Republican Party needs the Tea Party, but the Tea Party can't get any of its candidates into office without the mainstream Republicans.

I'm not planning on pouting - I'm going to be organizing.

As for the GOP, why should I, or any conservative support them?

I'm tired of being bleeped up the keister. I don't want to be bleeped up the keister.

If I wanted to be bleeped up the keister, I'd put on a wig and hang out at wine and piano bars, or call Barney Frank for a date, but I don't.

You know why?

Because (a) I'm not gay, (b) Barney's fat and homely, and (c) any new takers would have to get in line behind the GOP leadership.

Maybe they can take turns with each other. I don't really care. In any event, as the late Samuel Goldwyn once said: "include me out".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 05:35:28 pm »

Big WHOOP!   Everyone knows the GOP is good at "muddling".       :silly: 

If the political party wants to survive, the GOP needs to embrace a Tea Party renewal within its charter.  Otherwise the GOP will assume the mantle of the Whigs. 

I can live with either choice.    :smokin:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 05:37:21 pm »
Rush Limbaugh
Do you know the Republican Party now can't wait to move on amnesty? Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, they can't wait. Obama can't wait. After this cave on the shutdown or whatever you want to call it, the next move at light speed is gonna be for amnesty. The Republican Party is leading the way! It doesn't make any sense to me, not in the traditional political sense.

So then Rush and Mark and Sean can race to the ramparts and lead the fight. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:40:22 pm »

If the political party wants to survive, the GOP needs to embrace a Tea Party renewal within its charter.  Otherwise the GOP will assume the mantle of the Whigs.

I absolutely agree with that statement! No question about it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Olivia

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 05:42:05 pm »
Even though I knew this would happen, I'm still depressed with the republican party and their capitulation.  Obama must be laughing all the way to the ninth green.  :nometalk: :nometalk:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »
Even though I knew this would happen, I'm still depressed with the republican party and their capitulation.  Obama must be laughing all the way to the ninth green.  :nometalk: :nometalk:

Me too.... **nononono*
Support the USO

Offline Olivia

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 05:45:37 pm »
Big WHOOP!   Everyone knows the GOP is good at "muddling".       :silly: 

I can live with either choice.    :smokin:

I think the republican establishment is satisfied with being the cave-in party.  After all, nothing  being done is affecting their perks, nor will it in the future.
It's the American people that have to pay the price for their stupidity.  Our leaders have turned into rulers and that includes the republican party.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 05:50:00 pm »
I think the republican establishment is satisfied with being the cave-in party.  After all, nothing  being done is affecting their perks, nor will it in the future.
It's the American people that have to pay the price for their stupidity.  Our leaders have turned into rulers and that includes the republican party.

Yep, politics as usual. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:28 pm »
WOW! Sinkspur is even communicating his BS to Rush Limbaugh!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »
What an odd question.  What does that have to do with anything?

You just seem to have a lot of time of your hands all day long .... and always seems to be looking for a fight.

Just wondering if a paying job might help you focus better.

That's all.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 06:42:10 pm »
I absolutely agree with that statement! No question about it!

:beer:

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »

The Republican Party will return to its conservative roots, or it will cease to be.

The American people will no longer allow a one party system in Washington, DC.