Author Topic: Mainstream Republicans Show No Fight  (Read 3951 times)

Offline happyg

Mainstream Republicans Show No Fight
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:08:52 pm »
By: David Limbaugh

Every time we have a congressional impasse over budgetary issues, we hear from liberals predicting Shutdown-mageddon. Why don't they ever join us in expressing concern over the inevitable financial collapse that will result from their policies?

We always seem to hyperventilate over these mini-crises involving the temporary shutdown of small parts of the precious federal government, while we totally ignore the real financial catastrophe we're headed toward unless we begin to move in the direction Sen. Ted Cruz and other congressional Republicans are insisting on in these budgetary battles — defunding Obamacare, reining in spending, and reforming unsustainable entitlements.

Indeed, President Obama, his Democratic Party, the media and some establishment Republicans are railing against a group of spirited, principled, patriotic Republicans doing their best to fulfill their congressional watchdog obligations against the unprecedented recklessness emanating from Washington.

Every single time Republicans try to take meaningful action to honor their mandate against the further unfolding of these federal government train wrecks, they are slandered as irresponsible.

But who is more responsible, those driving the United States over the fiscal cliff or those willing to allow us to drive over a small hill in order to stop the guaranteed financial free fall awaiting us if we don't begin to put on the brakes today?

It's maddening to hear Democrats, the media, and the establishment join hands in condemning the tea party and Reagan conservatives as fanatical extremists who are just spitting against the wind.

Well, if opposition to Obamacare and our current unsustainable level of spending and entitlements makes us extremists, then God bless the extremists. In fact, those who are trying to fight the current lawless assaults on our liberty and our healthcare system are quite the opposite of extreme.

Rather, it is those who are behind the policies guaranteed to destroy the nation who are extreme — unless you think it's extreme to want to preserve this nation as the greatest nation in world history.

How I wish establishment Republicans would quit piling on against Sen. Cruz and others trying to draw a line in the sand against President Obama. How about, at the very least, they join us in calling needed attention to the radicalism of the true extremists — President Obama and the Democratic Party leadership.

The establishment cites polls purportedly showing that Republicans are losing even more popularity as a result of the government shutdown and says this proves the folly of the Cruz approach. I don't buy this for reasons I've already articulated, but I think that, in any event, public perception would be less negative toward the conservative position if all Republicans would unite behind those who are trying to stop Obama now and call attention to his extremism and intransigence.

If the establishment would put half as much energy into fighting Obama as they have into fighting Cruz, we might have a better chance of turning these loaded polls around.

The establishment line is that Cruz et al. have no strategy. To the contrary, they know that grass-roots conservatives (and many other Americans who have no voice) are frustrated and feel disenfranchised. They want to know that their votes matter and that they have representatives in Washington who'll fight for them.

The Cruz-ers aren't guaranteeing short-term victory, but by fighting fiercely and drawing attention to Obama's excesses and recklessness, they are increasing their chances to stop him eventually.

Meanwhile, what is the establishment's strategy? It's been urging caution since the very first budget impasse with Obama. Establishment types always tell us to wait until the next election or we'll get shellacked. They seem to continue to get their way, but we get shellacked anyway, and an increasing number of people are coming to believe there is no longer any difference between the parties.

And here's another little secret: Even if conservatives do lose the public relations battle over the government shutdown, we're more than a year away from the 2014 elections, and Republicans are likelier to get hurt then by not having fought than they are by contributing to an impasse that led to an ultimately harmless government shutdown.

I respect the position of the establishment faction way more, I think, than its members respect our position. But I can't help but wonder how much progress we could make if instead of heeding their perennial admonitions to go soft on Obama — for example, with fights over the budget and Romney's taking on Obama on Benghazi — they would unite with us in going to the mat against Obama now (not one year, two years, or three years from now) and let the chips fall.

Besides, if we can't win a PR battle with Obama over Obamacare in the very midst of its nightmarish rollout, what makes our establishment friends think we can win in 2014 after having rolled over for Obama without "firing a shot," blurred the lines of distinction between the parties, and killed each other with not-so-friendly fire?

The stakes are too high not to draw the line today. We can't continue to kick the can down the road forever. God bless Sen. Cruz and his fellow line drawers.

http://www.newsmax.com/Limbaugh/Mainstream-Republicans-Shutdown-Cruz/2013/10/16/id/531348

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Mainstream Republicans Show No Fight
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:11:00 pm »
The stakes are too high not to draw the line today. We can't continue to kick the can down the road forever. God bless Sen. Cruz and his fellow line drawers.

Hear, hear!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:15:44 pm »
No fight?  Boehner got the sequester enacted, the only time in modern history that government spending has actually been CUT!!

Limbaugh thinks that, somehow, the GOP was going to get Obama to agree to defund or delay his prime achievement.

If, instead, there had been no shutdown, the disaster that is Obamacare would be front and center and we could be capitalizing on it with ads and hearings and a "countdown clock" and all kinds of things pointing out its failures.

You lost, David.  Now, help the Republicans regain some respect after your boy Teddy's slash-and-burn tactics failed.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:16:01 pm »
The Cruz-ers aren't guaranteeing short-term victory, but by fighting fiercely and drawing attention to Obama's excesses and recklessness, they are increasing their chances to stop him eventually.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:!

This is the entire argument in a nutshell! Well done David Limbaugh!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »
You lost, David.  Now, help the Republicans regain some respect after your boy Teddy's slash-and-burn tactics failed.

That's an odd statement by a *fellow republican*.......you need to turn on Rush, he is talking about all the liberal/moderate republicans like yourself.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »
Government spending has NOT been cut even under the sequester!

All that has happened is that the rate of increase has been very slightly diminished!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:34:03 pm »
That's an odd statement by a *fellow republican*.......you need to turn on Rush, he is talking about all the liberal/moderate republicans like yourself.

Oh, so now I'm a "moderate" or even a "liberal" because I opposed Teddy's tactics?

Listen here.  Cruz led this party down a rat hole with his insistence on leading the House off the defunding cliff.  It's just as much my party as his, and I am not going to support somebody who has no chance of success.  He had no chance of prevailing on defunding or even delaying Obamacare, and he knew it.

Rush was just as wrong as Cruz about this shutdown. 

Did it work?

What did the GOP get out of shutting down the government? 

I can tell you what Teddy got:  $250K in donations the last two weeks.

Which, after all, is what this was about in the first place.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:36:42 pm »

All that has happened is that the rate of increase has been very slightly diminished!

No.  It's an actual cut:

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/03/underselling-the-sequester-cuts/

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »

If, instead, there had been no shutdown, the disaster that is Obamacare would be front and center and we could be capitalizing on it with ads and hearings and a "countdown clock" and all kinds of things pointing out its failures.

Obamacare will not be harmed in the slightest by computer "glitches", failed systems or even many people seeing increased premiums.  It was not enacted as a technocrats solution to something...it was enacted as an overall governing philosophy.  That philosophy will not be harmed by technocratic failures, those failures will simply result in "perfecting solutions" and fixes.  The philosophy of univeral healthcare "coverage" will stand unharmed and unshaken by any campaign, or any cute little marketing gimics - we will just be pointing fingers while others take the mantle of "fixers".  Good intentions will always defeat technical problems in the court of public opinion.  The fight Cruz took on might have a been loser - but the fight you are suggesting here is just as much a complete losing proposition.

The only thing being "accomplished" today is more band-aids on the stock market, keeping it together as long as possible because when it goes - and eventually enough debt and enough entitlement spending will do it in - every single pension, public and private, in the United States goes with it.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:00:15 pm »
I repeat!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:54 pm »
I repeat!

YOU ARE WRONG!!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »
Apparently there is someone posting here that cannot even read and properly interpret the evidence HE posts as evidence for his arguments nor does he have even the most remote idea as to how baseline budgeting works!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:16 pm »
No.  It's an actual cut:

Not exactly. FactCheck is usually pretty fair, but what they did in this analysis was utilize Washington's favored budgeting assumptions (non-GAAP analysis), opting to count as "cuts" reductions in planned cuts from an inflated baseline. Federal spending will still be higher this year ($3.685T) than last year ($3.537T), and is projected to be even higher next year ($3.778T).

And the present assumptions going forward include current CBO projections for ObamaCare costs, which are laughably low. It ain't gonna be pretty...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:13:42 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:17:44 pm »
Federal spending will still be higher this year ($3.685T) than last year ($3.537T), and is projected to be even higher next year ($3.778T).

Thank you! Exactly right!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Thank you! Exactly right!

Those of us who are experienced in private sector financial analysis and budgeting (in my case, that's 20+ years worth) can only shake our heads and roll our eyes at what passes for such analysis at the Federal level. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »
Those of us who are experienced in private sector financial analysis and budgeting (in my case, that's 20+ years worth) can only shake our heads and roll our eyes at what passes for such analysis at the Federal level.

Ain't that the truth!

But it REALLY boils down to the very simple fact that (as you correctly pointed out) the government will STILL, even with the sequester in place, spend more this year than last and even more than that next year!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:30:18 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 08:45:03 pm »
YOU ARE WRONG!!

Good God Sink go back to selling software, clearly accounting and finance is not your strong suit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:45:19 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »

You're right.  28 years on my end....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:05 pm »
Oh, I get it. Calling someone named Ted "Teddy" is supposed to put him in his place.
Another intellectual triumph!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
No.  It's an actual cut:

Just a total fallacy.
The federal budget has NOT been cut by the Obama administration...EVER!
It hasn't been cut in the past, it isn't cut now and there are no plans to cut it in the future.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

rangerrebew

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »

Not after today!!! :nono:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 09:06:36 pm »
No.  It's an actual cut:

Just a total fallacy.
The federal budget has NOT been cut by the Obama administration...EVER!
It hasn't been cut in the past, it isn't cut now and there are no plans to cut it in the future.
The federal budget wasn't even cut by the Reagan administration. The rate of growth of the federal budget was cut, and it has been claimed that is all that is needed, to balance the budget.

Easier said than done. For both parties, it has been easier to say cut the budget, than to do it.

Both parties answer to various interest groups.

Liberals cave to geographic jobs interests, for military spending cuts. Conservatives cave to farm subsidies.

Give Cruz a while longer in office, and I predict his sheen wears off, too.

As I repeat, the key for conservatives getting what they want is winning elections. And few want to talk about how to do that.

Like it or not, a pragmatic person would listen to Rove about winning elections, not Limbaugh, Levin or Beck.

I know you don't like that statement, but it is nonetheless true.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

rangerrebew

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »
Apparently there is someone posting here that cannot even read and properly interpret the evidence HE posts as evidence for his arguments nor does he have even the most remote idea as to how baseline budgeting works!

The truth is liberals never bother with such things as facts.  Though a big liberal in his day, Daniel Patrick Moynahan, said "you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts."

rangerrebew

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:35 pm »
Give Cruz a while longer in office, and I predict his sheen wears off, too.

Given enough time in office, the other politicians in the District of Corruption will put a hit on him and share the cost. :2gunz:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »

Like it or not, a pragmatic person would listen to Rove about winning elections, not Limbaugh, Levin or Beck.

The Rove that got his ass kicked in 2008 and 2010 and 2012.  I don't think so.