Author Topic: Doctors, hospitals demanding patients pay entire deductible up front thanks to Obamacare  (Read 15816 times)

rangerrebew

Doctors, Hospitals Demanding Patients Pay Entire Deductible Up Front Thanks to Obamacare

by Breitbart News  15 Oct 2013 22  post a comment 

The rocky rollout of Obamacare isn’t limited to website problems. According to a report from Bloomberg, many doctors and clinics are now demanding that people pay the entire deductible on their insurance before they will be seen. Obamacare will increase that practice, since a huge number of plans under Obamacare have low premiums with huge deductibles.

The second-cheapest Obamacare plan in California has a $2,000 annual deductible. Hospitals want deductibles paid up front to ensure they receive their cash rather than being stiffed on the back end. Meanwhile, employers are jumping on the high deductible bandwagon, with 34 percent of insured workers having deductibles higher than $1,000.

There are 15.5 million people with high deductible plans, an increase of 12.5 million since 2005. Both doctors and hospitals at New York University Langone Medical Center insist on full payment of deductibles before care, according to administration.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/15/Obamacare-deductible
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:20:15 am by rangerrebew »

Offline NavyCanDo

If signing up for a plan is slow and cumbersome if at all even possible depending on the system working, wonder how much of a nightmare it’s going to be for the Doctors and Hospital’s to process their claims. My wife is in the health care industry and processes claims and I know it’s not always a smooth process, and often payments from the insurer are delayed for many reasons.    That is only going to get much worse now with Obamacare, and I don’t blame the Doctors for wanting to see cash up front, because they are not entirely confident that they are going to get paid from the insurer in a reasonable amount of time, and that there staff will be bogged down fighting with the insurance companies.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

rangerrebew

they are not entirely confident that they are going to get paid from the insurer in a reasonable amount of time,

If I were a doctor I'd be damned concerned I would get paid by the government, too, and when they are the only payer, I'd get out of the business. :bolt:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Lessseeee here.....

I sign up for ObamaCare, for some bronze, silver, or what-have-you plan that has a $10,000 deductible.

Then I have to go to the hospital for something, and they demand that I pay my entire deductible "up front" before they will treat me.

That sure is "affordable" care, now, ain't it ???

Offline Rapunzel

A new child will soon enter your life. Despite the fact that it's not your child, you will pay for its healthcare for the rest of your life.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

The rocky rollout of Obamacare isn’t limited to website problems. According to a report from Bloomberg, many doctors and clinics are now demanding that people pay the entire deductible on their insurance before they will be seen.

This doesn't make sense.  How can a doctor require that an ENTIRE DEDUCTIBLE be paid before the doctor even knows what the patient's problem is?

Something doesn't sound right about this.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Simple Sink so I will try to explain it too you in language even you should be able to understand.

-You go to the doctor because your stomach hurts.  You pay whatever the co-pay is for the doctor visit, or most likely pay for all of it in cash because the doctor doesn't take insurance anymore.
-You have to get an ultrasound, which you have to pay 75%, 90%, 100% of out of pocket because your insurance doesn't cover any of it or your overall deductible is $10,000.
-You find out you have gallstones and have to have the gallbladder removed.  The cost is going to be $12,000.  Before you can have the surgery, you pay the surgeon, hospital, anesthesiologist, etc. and are now out $10,000 or more before ever having the surgery.

Of course, you don't care how many people will be hurt and screwed by this since it just means more money for you.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline SlapLeather

This doesn't make sense.  How can a doctor require that an ENTIRE DEDUCTIBLE be paid before the doctor even knows what the patient's problem is?

It's easy... 2 + 2 = 5... really it does.  And soon, twitter will know what the problem is.  NSA has it all covered.  Plus we have hopeychangey "navigators".  What could possible go wrong? Who's on your buddy list? What did you have for breakfast?  Any guns? Rashes? What color is that? Any prayer content? LGBT? We know... don't you?

Get with it!

Offline sinkspur

Simple Sink so I will try to explain it too you in language even you should be able to understand.

-You go to the doctor because your stomach hurts.  You pay whatever the co-pay is for the doctor visit, or most likely pay for all of it in cash because the doctor doesn't take insurance anymore.
-You have to get an ultrasound, which you have to pay 75%, 90%, 100% of out of pocket because your insurance doesn't cover any of it or your overall deductible is $10,000.
-You find out you have gallstones and have to have the gallbladder removed.  The cost is going to be $12,000.  Before you can have the surgery, you pay the surgeon, hospital, anesthesiologist, etc. and are now out $10,000 or more before ever having the surgery.

Of course, you don't care how many people will be hurt and screwed by this since it just means more money for you.

Hey pal.  Stuff your condescension.

You did not answer the question.  The article says "Doctors are requiring the payment of the full deductible BEFORE THEY WILL SEE YOU."

I'd appreciate a discussion without all the snide ad hominems.  I didn't get one from you.

Offline Rapunzel

A walk in clinic here will not see ANYONE without a cash payment upfront - even if the patient is Medicare or Medicaid...... I know this crushes you to hear these Obamacare horror stories, but they are only going to become more, not less,  common.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
One of my doctors is going to cash only on January 1st.  Almost every other doctor I know of in private practice is doing the same.  Only those part of large organizations or affiliated with hospitals are still going to be taking insurance.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

With electronic claims come immediate electronic checking with your insurance carrier... if you have not met your deductible - pay up - cash now. If you have a $50 co-pay - pay up.. if procedure isn't covered - pay up....

Offline sinkspur

A walk in clinic here will not see ANYONE without a cash payment upfront - even if the patient is Medicare or Medicaid...... I know this crushes you to hear these Obamacare horror stories, but they are only going to become more, not less,  common.

You didn't answer the question either. 

How can a clinic require "THE ENTIRE DEDUCTIBLE UP FRONT BEFORE THE PATIENT IS SEEN"?    Is the article wrong?

THis doesn't make any sense.

And, you, too.  I'd appreciate you leaving out the snide comments. 

Offline sinkspur

With electronic claims come immediate electronic checking with your insurance carrier... if you have not met your deductible - pay up - cash now. If you have a $50 co-pay - pay up.. if procedure isn't covered - pay up....

Claims are after the fact.

Offline Rapunzel

You didn't answer the question either. 

How can a clinic require "THE ENTIRE DEDUCTIBLE UP FRONT BEFORE THE PATIENT IS SEEN"?    Is the article wrong?

THis doesn't make any sense.

And, you, too.  I'd appreciate you leaving out the snide comments.

I just explained it to you.  We know before you see the doctor what your deductible is and if it has been met or not, what your insurance covers and doesn't cover... patients no longer skate by with "bill me for the balance".. you pay or you do not get seen by the doctor.

Offline Rapunzel

Claims are after the fact.

I know all about claims...

Offline sinkspur

How is someone supposed to pay a deductible BEFORE a doctor visit?  The deductible is dependent on a diagnosis.

Offline Rapunzel

How is someone supposed to pay a deductible BEFORE a doctor visit?  The deductible is dependent on a diagnosis.

Every patient has a co-pay.  They collect it upfront. If the patient has a deductible that has not been met they have a FEE Schedule... they collect the fee schedule amount and then IF there is a credit after the claim is submitted to the carrier the patient receives a refund.

Offline sinkspur

Every patient has a co-pay.  They collect it upfront. If the patient has a deductible that has not been met they have a FEE Schedule... they collect the fee schedule amount and then IF there is a credit after the claim is submitted to the carrier the patient receives a refund.

So the article is wrong.  Deductibles are not collected BEFORE the patient sees the doctor.  ONly the copay is collected upfront.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
So the article is wrong.  Deductibles are not collected BEFORE the patient sees the doctor.  ONly the copay is collected upfront.

You are thinking of the normal world before this monstrosity.

Now, who knows what is in there. I would have it printed and delivered but the government printing office has decided that a reasonable price for printing is now $1/page.

As more and more of this is hashed out, I'm sure we'll find a lot of crazy stuff happening that we wouldn't believe at first.

Offline Rapunzel

Definitely the co-pay.  Used to be doctors would bill the co-pay - no longer.  But if the patient has a $2000 deductible and it hasn't been met they will collect the fee for an average OV upfront from the patient as well.    Also at the start of the year they collect the full Medicare deductible from Medicare patients... but the clinic I know of locally collects cash for every visit -  every patient - no exceptions and if the people don't like it they tell them they can leave... they tell you they will send you a refund (if you have one)...  But if you have an emergency you go there or you go to the ER and our ER can leave you sitting for an hour or longer.

Offline raml

I have to pay a co pay for my hospital stays it is $400. When I went in the hospital for a surgery a couple of years ago I had to pay the $400 a week before I had the surgery they had me pay it when I went for my pre-surgery check up. They know how much you need to pay due to they have your insurance coverage on file or you give it when going for your pre-surgery check up. They do not wait till the surgery is over sinkpur. Yes they do collect a deductible before you have surgery that has been happening for years not just since Obamacare. I sold medical insurance for years with Aetna and I can tell you that does happen. A hospital isn't going to trust you to pay that deductible later since now many deductibles are for $2500 or more. You pay it up front and Obamacare since it is all about large deductibles will hurt people who are on a strict budget and can't afford it. This is just an insurance scheme we saw these types of policies all the time when I was working and we didn't sell them and we called them money makers not insurance.

rangerrebew

This is the reason for the death panels; people who can't afford to pay the deductibles for the "free" medical care. :Obounce:

Offline Olivia

What about our seniors?  Most of them have worked all their lives, saved for retirement and now will spend their life savings on medical bills.  Doesn't matter that they've paid into Medicare & SS all their lives and even carry a supplement policy.

A one week hospital stay could wipe out all their assets with one visit.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

rangerrebew

A one week hospital stay could wipe out all their assets with one visit.

Yet another reason for death panels. :thud: