Author Topic:  (Read 1124 times)

Offline happyg

« on: October 15, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »
I wonder if John Roberts wishes he could have a "do-over".  I listened to Levin tonite.  He was compelling.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »
I wonder if John Roberts wishes he could have a "do-over".  I listened to Levin tonite.  He was compelling.

I want to know why Roberts changed his vote and if he thinks - now - it was worth whatever he was trying to hide.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
I want to know why Roberts changed his vote and if he thinks - now - it was worth whatever he was trying to hide.

Roberts was not trying to "hide" anything.  Sheesh.

Roberts reaction was offputting, but his categorization of Obamacare's mandate as a tax is a huge gift:  a tax can be overturned with 51 votes in the Senate, and tax bills cannot be filibustered. 

All we need is a Republican government, and Obamacare could be repealed in a heartbeat.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:22 AM »

Roberts reaction was offputting, but his categorization of Obamacare's mandate as a tax is a huge gift:  a tax can be overturned with 51 votes in the Senate, and tax bills cannot be filibustered. 

All we need is a Republican government, and Obamacare could be repealed in a heartbeat.

It COULD have been a gift if our side had the balls to run with it. I do believe Roberts changed his vote at the last minute, as is seen in the odd writings of the court briefs which indicated an opposite reaction to the end result. I believe this may have been Robert's Trojan Horse for whatever reason made him vote the way he did. The Administration's side didn't argue it was a tax, Roberts pulled that one out of somewhere. Maybe someday, a decade or two from now, we'll hear the whole story.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:28 AM »
It COULD have been a gift if our side had the balls to run with it. I do believe Roberts changed his vote at the last minute, as is seen in the odd writings of the court briefs which indicated an opposite reaction to the end result. I believe this may have been Robert's Trojan Horse for whatever reason made him vote the way he did. The Administration's side didn't argue it was a tax, Roberts pulled that one out of somewhere. Maybe someday, a decade or two from now, we'll hear the whole story.

If I recall correctly, they sorta argued it was a tax, although it wasn't a prominent part of their argument.  My recollection is that their argument was somewhat like a 10 page paper which argues that the mandate is a penalty, with a sentence at the end that says "But if you don't agree with our reasoning could you just please please please consider it a tax and rule in our favor on that basis?"
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »

Having a "Republican" party at this point - at least THIS Republican Party -  is not going to gain us a thing.  Nothing, zilch, nada.  these clowns are bought and sold by K-Street and big money and it doesn't matter what they have behind their names McCain, Graham, McConnell, and even your beloved Cornyn do not give a tinkers damn about you, me or any of us, all they care about is keeping their power and sitting on the throne of power.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »

On this we can agree.  I just don't trust the voters to refrain from selecting representatives who legislate largesse at taxpayer expense.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

IF the Republicans in office mean what they say, and believe what they campaigned on, this is true.

They ALL voted against it, but now some seem to be cowards in not being willing to fight it off.

They say they are united against Obamacare, and only disagree on how to do it, but I'm not sure that they actually would repeal it if we had a majority in both the House and Senate.

They've disappointed us before when they were in power.   I just hope this is important enough to them (and that they actually know what a disaster this policy is for America.........not sure of that since they're so insulated) to actually ACT on their words when they get back into power.

(That is, if Obama hasn't destroyed the country and the election process enough in the next few years to actually allow us to regain the majority).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
On this we can agree.  I just don't trust the voters to refrain from selecting representatives who legislate largesse at taxpayer expense.

I don't know if we can ever overcome the massive voter fraud the Dems have been able to get away with, and the media lies about who Republicans are, and what we stand for.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
As long a McConnell and Tammy Fay Boehner are the republican "leaders", Obamacare will never be overturned, even if they have total control of both houses and the presidency.  One derogatory comment from a newspaper and they will fly to the comfort zone of doing nothing.  Oh, there will be lots of huffing, puffing, and threatening from the two but in the end they will do what they have always done - run from the issue. :bolt:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »
As long a McConnell and Tammy Fay Boehner are the republican "leaders", Obamacare will never be overturned, even if they have total control of both houses and the presidency.  One derogatory comment from a newspaper and they will fly to the comfort zone of doing nothing.  Oh, there will be lots of huffing, puffing, and threatening from the two but in the end they will do what they have always done - run from the issue. :bolt:

Correct..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf