Author Topic: Stunned Republicans React to Canceled Vote By Jonathan Strong  (Read 9003 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Stunned Republicans React to Canceled Vote
By  Jonathan Strong
October 15, 2013 7:43 PM

Referring to his plan to preemptively send the Senate a House-passed bill, Speaker John Boehner told his conference this morning that he’d “rather throw a grenade than catch a grenade.” But with his right-wing troops abandoning him again, it was the speaker who was left holding the bomb.

After a day of furious negotiating with fellow Republicans over how to tweak a bill he had unveiled in the morning, it was left to stunned members of his leadership team to confirm to reporters that the vote had been canceled.

“They’re trying to work it out,” said Representative Greg Walden, the National Republican Congressional Committee chairman.

Pete Sessions, chairman of the Rules Committee, kept in character and put a positive spin on an obvious disaster for the GOP.

Boehner “made a decision that what we’re going to do is allow us to take the night and make sure all of our members know what’s going on. We’re trying to make sure that what we’re doing, people know about and they can prepare and study for,” Sessions said, going on to pin the lack of action on the Senate. “You know what? We’re waiting for the Senate to get their work done. We had no reason to necessarily have to do anything,” he added, when I asked him what it says about the House GOP that Boehner couldn’t bring the bill to the floor.

“It’s all over. We’ll take the Senate deal,” says a senior GOP aide. Senator Mitch McConnell’s office quickly noted to reporters that the Kentucky Republican would be taking back the lead.

A key moment in the fight came when Heritage Action announced it was “key voting” against the bill. Support was already flagging, and the decision made up the minds of many members sitting on the fence.

“People are thinking about primaries, they really are,” says a GOP chief of staff.

Although leadership had been working to amend the bill throughout the day to cater to GOP critics, the final iteration Boehner landed on provoked head-scratching among much of the GOP conference.

Conservatives had pushed to eliminate the repeal of the medical-device tax, worrying that it appeared to be crony capitalism benefiting a small business constituency, and to apply the Vitter amendment’s language to staffers as well as lawmakers, thinking it appeared hypocritical.

Leadership went along with both changes but added nothing new to the bill. One argument in favor of that, put forward by Representative Steve Womack of Arkansas, was simplicity. Womack said including only one additional provision would have made it far easier to beat the messaging war drum in favor of the bill.

But for many others, the smallness of the “Vitter amendment,” coupled with removing what was a significant, if targeted, policy victory, provoked confusion and wrath.

“You ever think you’d see the day where Republicans would demand removing language that delays a tax?” wondered a third GOP aide, “I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone.”

The canceled vote was no Twilight Zone episode, however, but something far too familiar. Republicans eagerly compared it to the fiscal cliff’s famous “Plan B” episode, when Boehner brought lawmakers into a closed-door meeting in the Capitol basement, said the serenity prayer, and told them the vote was canceled.

The Christian rite accompanying legislative chaos today was Florida representative Steve Southerland’s rendition of “Amazing Grace” – “all three verses,” said Representative Michael Burgess (Texas) afterwards in amazement.

But Southerland is an undertaker by trade, and the song is normally sung at funerals. It’s not hard to see’s today’s failure as the death of the House GOP’s role, in at least this standoff.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Stunned Republicans React to Canceled Vote By Jonathan Strong
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:37 am »
 Reid, McConnell Continue Talks as House Flounders
By  Andrew Stiles
October 15, 2013 7:35 PM

Following the news that House Republicans have cancelled a vote on a GOP plan to end the budget stalemate, Senate Leaders Harry Reid (D., Nev.) and Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) are re-upping their efforts to craft an agreement, aides said Tuesday.

“Senator Reid and Senator McConnell have re-engaged in negotiations and are optimistic that an agreement is within reach,” Reid spokesman Adam Jentleson said on Twitter.

As of Monday evening, the Senate leaders were said to be close to a deal. According to the Treasury Department, the country’s borrowing authority will run out on October 17.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:28:16 am »
When you all don't stand together you fail....
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:43 am »
When you all don't stand together you fail....

McCain, Graham and McConnell are not working for the good of the GOP in these negotiations.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:36:05 am »
If Boehner brings the senate bill to the floor without caucus support, his speakership is going to be in big trouble.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:48:11 am »
“It’s all over. We’ll take the Senate deal,” says a senior GOP aide. Senator Mitch McConnell’s office quickly noted to reporters that the Kentucky Republican would be taking back the lead.

The House will pass whatever Reid sends over. 

If Boehner loses his speakership, I'd bet he won't care.  Who wants to try to govern with these FreedomWorks sock puppets calling the shots?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:56:49 am »
The House will pass whatever Reid sends over. 

If Boehner loses his speakership, I'd bet he won't care.  Who wants to try to govern with these FreedomWorks sock puppets calling the shots?

Freedom Works, Tea Party.....who else do you hate....is that you McCain?.....Rove?
Support the USO

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:57:58 am »
Freedom Works, Tea Party.....who else do you hate....is that you McCain?.....Rove?

You Left out the Heritage Foundation :tongue2:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:03:40 am »

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:43 am »
Every single time the Dems own a failure, the GOP manages to somehow start infighting and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm frustrated with the entire elite power structure, be they 'liberals', 'moderates', or 'conservatives'.  Ted Cruz doesn't have the interest of the GOP in mind, either, but  I do think he has the interest in a strong USA in mind by his actions.  I'm not a fan of Cruz, either, but I don't think he's is setting himself up for so much abuse from his own party because he craves attention.

Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:05:48 am »
I thought you guys loved Rove.

I hate Rove....worst adviser ever imho....
Support the USO

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:00 am »

I'm frustrated with the entire elite power structure, be they 'liberals', 'moderates', or 'conservatives'. 

:beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:18 am »
I thought you guys loved Rove.
Not since 2006.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 01:09:38 am »
There again is that dreaded "common ground"

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 01:19:07 am »

Don't hate 'em.  I just think they're digging the hole deeper for Republicans.

They forced the House GOP to postpone a vote; now a bill comes from the Senate that will be worse than the one they were debating.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 01:26:13 am »
If the Rebubs would just one time stand together and fight something they might actually win..but no..there is nothing but infighting and one-up man-ship..you never see the Dems do this..no matter what, right or wrong they stick together...Repub's are easy marks and Obama knows it..
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:29 am »

:beer: :beer: :beer:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 01:32:04 am »
If the Rebubs would just one time stand together and fight something they might actually win..but no..there is nothing but infighting and one-up man-ship..you never see the Dems do this..no matter what, right or wrong they stick together...Repub's are easy marks and Obama knows it..

Think about it for a minute.  How do you win a fight from one House of Congress?  The Senate can shut it down, and the President can veto it if the Senate passes it.  3/4 of each House is required to override a veto.

We have to pick fights we have a chance of winning.  To think we could defund Obamacare was one of the most colossally stupid propositions I've heard in my life.  Yet Ted Cruz thought he could do it.

Or maybe he knew he could never do it, and raising his profile was what this was all about.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 01:33:42 am »

Actually, he wasn't.  He managed two Bush victories.  He also managed Bush to two victories as Texas governor.

You don't like him, but he's good, which is why FOXNEWS hired him.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 01:40:32 am »
..he also allowed the Dems and media beat Bush up for almost 8 years without fighting back...Rove now says that was a mistake...too late the damage is done and he still lives with the never ending ridicule from the left......that is why I hate Rove!
Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 01:48:29 am »
..he also allowed the Dems and media beat Bush up for almost 8 years without fighting back...Rove now says that was a mistake...too late the damage is done and he still lives with the never ending ridicule from the left......that is why I hate Rove!

Why was it Rove's job to defend Bush?  Rove's job was to get him elected.  Bush's "aw shucks" manner, and thinking the best of everyone, was his downfall.

Bush doesn't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks of him, which is the big difference between him and Jug Ears, whose narcissism knows no bounds.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 01:55:09 am »
Rove himself admitted that he was the one who advised Bush not to respond to all the negative press and what all the Dems and press constantly spewed about him....it was my impression Bush wanted to fight back and Rove advised him not to.....it's in his book btw
Support the USO

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 01:55:22 am »
Think about it for a minute.  How do you win a fight from one House of Congress?  The Senate can shut it down, and the President can veto it if the Senate passes it.  3/4 of each House is required to override a veto.

We have to pick fights we have a chance of winning.  To think we could defund Obamacare was one of the most colossally stupid propositions I've heard in my life.  Yet Ted Cruz thought he could do it.

Or maybe he knew he could never do it, and raising his profile was what this was all about.

It appears you've been right about this. At this point, there isn't a win for the GOP. And, in a time when the administration's beyond incompetent roll out of Obamacare should be the story, the schism in the GOP takes the limelight.

If the fragile economy crashes because of this, the GOP is going to get barbequed.

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:04 am »

I must be missing all of the GOP members who aren't beat up by the media.  Hell, McCain was shocked, SHOCKED, when the same media that adored him for years turned on him during the 2008 election to the point they were accusing him of having affairs.   The amazing thing is that McCain didn't learn his lesson at that point, and is once again trying to be the "Maverick".

NOBODY is going to save any GOP leader from being attacked by the MSM.  How do you fight back?  If the media won't cover you fighting back, it never happened in the minds of the Zombie Voters in this country. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:39 am »

If the fragile economy crashes because of this, the GOP is going to get barbequed.

Yep.