Author Topic: Stunned Republicans React to Canceled Vote By Jonathan Strong  (Read 9021 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Stunned Republicans React to Canceled Vote By Jonathan Strong
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 02:00:55 am »
It appears you've been right about this. At this point, there isn't a win for the GOP. And, in a time when the administration's beyond incompetent roll out of Obamacare should be the story, the schism in the GOP takes the limelight.

If the fragile economy crashes because of this, the GOP is going to get barbequed.

That's exactly right.  Every negative economic effect for the next six months will be because the Republicans shut down the government.   

I'm not that smart, and I had this figured out in mid-September.  That's why I think this whole thing was a cynical effort by Ted Cruz to raise his profile in the Republican Party.  He knows the Tea Party's got his back, no matter how self-serving this whole thing's been.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 02:03:06 am »
That's exactly right.  Every negative economic effect for the next six months will be because the Republicans shut down the government.   

Not to mention you'll never hear the end of it in 2016.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:38 am »
I must be missing all of the GOP members who aren't beat up by the media.  Hell, McCain was shocked, SHOCKED, when the same media that adored him for years turned on him during the 2008 election to the point they were accusing him of having affairs.   The amazing thing is that McCain didn't learn his lesson at that point, and is once again trying to be the "Maverick".

NOBODY is going to save any GOP leader from being attacked by the MSM.  How do you fight back?  If the media won't cover you fighting back, it never happened in the minds of the Zombie Voters in this country.

Not now...Rove let it happen for eight years and now no one fights back on anything...the Dems *play* the Repubs all the time and get away with it.

Bush should have taken the podium [he had the bully pulpit..this is one thing that Obama does that is effective] and call them on their lies instead he let them stand and they became fact in peoples eyes....people expect someone to stand up and fight and call your opponent on them.....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:48 am »

I'm not that smart, and I had this figured out in mid-September.  That's why I think this whole thing was a cynical effort by Ted Cruz to raise his profile in the Republican Party.  He knows the Tea Party's got his back, no matter how self-serving this whole thing's been.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 02:10:06 am »
Not to mention you'll never hear the end of it in 2016.

Well, by then, Obamacare will have failed, and Hillary will have that failure smeared all over her.

That's why she's no where to be found defending Obamacare.

Offline Carling

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 02:12:42 am »

Bush should have taken the podium [he had the bully pulpit..this is one thing that Obama does that is effective] and call them on their lies instead he let them stand and they became fact in peoples eyes....people expect someone to stand up and fight and call your opponent on them.....

Bush then would have been painted as a paranoid man, much like Nixon was painted that way.  The absolute worst thing Bush could have done is to lower himself to the level of the media and their masters, the Democratic party.  His entire presidency would have ended up being a joke had he called the media together to lecture them.  Obama and Carney can do this behind closed doors, though, because they are all on the same team.

At some point, you have to be realistic about how biased the media really is, and how they can spin any event into a positive for Democrats, and a negative for the GOP.  I'm just happy that somehow I ended up on the minority's side in terms of media coverage, because it opened me up to the Rush Limbaughs and William Buckleys, people I never would have sought had I bought the "Dems good/GOP bad" media mantra I was immersed in as a young mushy mind.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:31 am »
Well, by then, Obamacare will have failed, and Hillary will have that failure smeared all over her.

Very true.  Plus, she just ripped Biden today on opposing the bin Laden raid, which means she must be feeling confident, since she so completely botched and covered up Benghazi.

I still can't believe that an obvious lie about a YouTube video being to blame is now down the memory hole.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 02:16:54 am »

Many here seem to think that the left will spin the facts and make Obamacare sound like a success when it isn't.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 02:18:13 am »
Very true.  Plus, she just ripped Biden today on opposing the bin Laden raid, which means she must be feeling confident, since she so completely botched and covered up Benghazi.

I still can't believe that an obvious lie about a YouTube video being to blame is now down the memory hole.

That video will haunt her in 2016.  She was a big proponent of that as the reason for the raid. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 02:19:50 am »

The evidence is there for all to see. Look at the crappy economy. The media, all liberals, and many in the center will tell you the economy is garbage because Bush crashed it.

Obama has little to no responsibility in their eyes. The media is very powerful because the public is so stupid.

Offline Relic

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 02:25:14 am »
Many here seem to think that the left will spin the facts and make Obamacare sound like a success when it isn't.

I am one who thinks that. We've seen how it works. At first, the media will point out flaws, to get their "objective" status. Then, they gradually circle the wagons, and produce happy stories about people who couldn't get aspirin suddenly having access to all kinds of wonders to heal their chronic conditions.

As the election nears, the media will be downplaying any shortcomings in Obamacare and professing amazement at the great things our king Obama has saw fit to give to us.

Watch.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:04 am »

Millennials voted for the guy and he screwed them big-time with this fiasco.  The price of health insurance on the exchanges for a healthy 20-30 year old is about double what it was before Obamacare, and the coverage isn't even as good.  There are high deductibles and limited access to doctors and facilities. 

You'd think it would be impossible to market your way out of such an obvious boondoggle, but if Obama has shown anything, it is that Millennials can be sold anything, and will march into the showers without complaint.  So long as they have their consumer electronics, and their perception of themselves as "cool," they don't seem to think anything else matters.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:05 am »
What a mess.  It was ALL stacking up against Obama.  Everything.  IRS. NSA. Syria. Putin. Benghazi.  Now? 

Good Lord.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:17 am »
What a mess.  It was ALL stacking up against Obama.  Everything.  IRS. NSA. Syria. Putin. Benghazi.  Now? 

Good Lord.

Yep.  Syria was killing Obama, and Ted Cruz threw him a lifeline.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 03:12:46 am »

Lots of young leftists were outraged over him wanting to bomb Syria.

Offline Carling

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 05:57:41 am »

I've said it before, I'm no fan of Cruz, but I do believe his thoughts are in the right place.  Politically, though, the guy is a disaster, and he is to blame for shifting the conversation.  There is no way that ObamaCare will not be funded.  None at all.  That is reality, and Cruz and his FantasyLand believers who think differently sadden me.

Again, Cruz is right, but the actions were wrong.  You can't cork the champagne twice, and now we just need to hope BammyCare implodes over the winter, spring, and summer, which it will. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:52 am »
McCain, Graham and McConnell are not working for the good of the GOP in these negotiations.
This story has nothing to do with the Senate.  The National Review has reported that Boehner gave conservatives the changes they asked for, "But with his right-wing troops abandoning him again, it was the speaker who was left holding the bomb."  How can it be McCain's fault that Boehner screwed up again?  He trusted conservatives.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 11:00:54 am »

Good Lord.
It still is. Obama is not exactly getting rave reviews on his handling of this whole fiasco, either. Pretty much everything out there right now says both sides are taking the heat for this. The only ones that are saying "GOP to blame" are the ones forcing people to choose one over the other, and since most of the polling samples these days are D+8 or somewhere in that vicinity, it's no surprise that the results are D+8 as well.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:02 pm »
Lots of young leftists were outraged over him wanting to bomb Syria.

I'm curious, what's your opinion of Obama?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:47 pm »

Good Lord.

I'm beginning to wonder if the whole thing isn't a psyop to improve Bambi's image after the trouncing he took from Putin and Assad.

You know, show some 'leadership' by defeating the 'evil Republicans' and saving the nation...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »
It's very easy to point fingers. 

It is a flawed assumption to think that had the GOP done nothing, and given OPapaDoc his spending increases along with his debt ceiling increase, the media would be focused on the failure of Obamacare and Benghazi instead of the budget stalemate.  How focused was the media on Benghazi BEFORE the stalemate?

As for all the worry about whether we will be seen as "extreme" if this activity continues, was OPapaDoc harmed or helped by OWS?  How did we do in 2010 after the Tea Party activity of 2009?  Compare that to Romney's safe, non-extreme campaign of 2012. 

The Democrats are not going to feel any pain whatsoever until their welfare state is shut down.  A GOP that is driven by fear and corrupted by Wall Street bankers is no party I want to be associated with anyway.  The House Republicans have passed their spending measures.  At this point, anything they do is inauthentic capitulation and will be seen as such by the voters.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:29 pm »
I'm curious, what's your opinion of Obama?

That's kind of a complicated question for me. I believe him when he expresses his desire to help people and make the economy stronger, but I feel he falls short and is an ineffective leader. I think he got in there and was disappointed that things didn't start just going his way. I also think part of his (and many presidents) ineffectiveness is a result of the corruption in our government.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:22:20 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »
I must be missing all of the GOP members who aren't beat up by the media.  Hell, McCain was shocked, SHOCKED, when the same media that adored him for years turned on him during the 2008 election to the point they were accusing him of having affairs.   The amazing thing is that McCain didn't learn his lesson at that point, and is once again trying to be the "Maverick".

NOBODY is going to save any GOP leader from being attacked by the MSM.  How do you fight back?  If the media won't cover you fighting back, it never happened in the minds of the Zombie Voters in this country.

I'll tell you how you fight the media back - you just walk around them and move forward.  You start your own media - an alternative media.  We are the foot soldiers in this movement and we have a job to do as well.  WE spread the word, we blog, email, text, twitter and all the places we can.  We mock and belittle them and counter their every attack.

We never give up - even when it is all but certain we will fail, we fight for what is right - even if it makes us unpopular.  And, when one of our guys is standing in the arena, taking all of the heat - we cover his back and use our considerable numbers to rally - not depress the fight. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 01:35:58 pm »
It's very easy to point fingers. 

It is a flawed assumption to think that had the GOP done nothing, and given OPapaDoc his spending increases along with his debt ceiling increase, the media would be focused on the failure of Obamacare and Benghazi instead of the budget stalemate.  How focused was the media on Benghazi BEFORE the stalemate?

As for all the worry about whether we will be seen as "extreme" if this activity continues, was OPapaDoc harmed or helped by OWS?  How did we do in 2010 after the Tea Party activity of 2009?  Compare that to Romney's safe, non-extreme campaign of 2012. 

The Democrats are not going to feel any pain whatsoever until their welfare state is shut down.  A GOP that is driven by fear and corrupted by Wall Street bankers is no party I want to be associated with anyway.  The House Republicans have passed their spending measures.  At this point, anything they do is inauthentic capitulation and will be seen as such by the voters.
:amen:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 04:35:59 pm »
That's kind of a complicated question for me. I believe him when he expresses his desire to help people and make the economy stronger, but I feel he falls short and is an ineffective leader. I think he got in there and was disappointed that things didn't start just going his way. I also think part of his (and many presidents) ineffectiveness is a result of the corruption in our government.

Then there is little hope fir yo if you think he care about ANYONE but himself. The know lies when there I no reason to lie.. case in point his interview yesterday.  And since he's been President black people and the poor are worse off.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776