Author Topic: Study: Oreo Cookies As Addictive As Cocaine  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Study: Oreo Cookies As Addictive As Cocaine
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:08:22 am »
This is true and its particularly bad if you snort or inject them.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Research out of Connecticut College shows that “America’s Favorite Cookie” may be as addictive as cocaine.

Connecticut College psychology professor Joseph Schroeder and four students studied in rats whether high fat, high sugar foods can be as addictive as drugs of abuse.

The research looked at the behaviors and the effects the cookies had on the brain.

“We found that the behavior they exhibited was equally strong for Oreo cookies as it was for cocaine or morphine,” Schroeder, the director of the Behavioral Neuroscience program at Connecticut College, told WCBS 880. “When we looked in the pleasure center of the brain, we found that the Oreo cookies activated the pleasure center more so than cocaine would activate the same center.”

The study came about when a student expressed interest in researching the obesity epidemic, noting that low-income areas tend to have a prevalence of fast-food options.

“Overall, it lent support to the hypothesis that high fat, high sugar foods can be viewed in the same was as drugs of abuse and have addictive potential,” Schroeder told WCBS 880. “It could be used to explain why some people have a problem staying away from foods that they know they shouldn’t eat or that they know are addictive.”

And that's your science lesson for today.  :silly:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/15/study-oreos-as-addictive-as-cocaine/

P.S. If you go to the link you can vote on this and be a scientist yourself, apply for grants, and maybe get a Nobel prize.

Are Oreos Addictive?

Yes

No

No, but another snack is!
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline musiclady

Re: Study: Oreo Cookies As Addictive As Cocaine
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:41:32 am »
Only if you separate the cookie, eat the plain side first, and then the side with the filling.    ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:48:10 am »
I like to take the cookie whole, and dunk it in milk.  Heaven. ^-^

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:51:43 am »
I saw the title of this thread and went and got a couple of double stuffed oreos...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Liberal_Spy

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:56:26 am »
I've a sordid history with that monkey on my back. I was doing double creams one after the other. When I stole my daughter's stash I knew I'd hit bottom. So I kicked it. Yeah I kicked it.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:34 am »
I saw the title of this thread and went and got a couple of double stuffed oreos...lol

I have a package in the pantry that I bought a couple of weeks ago and forgot about!  Hmmmm...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:49 am »
I've a sordid history with that monkey on my back. I was doing double creams one after the other. When I stole my daughter's stash I knew I'd hit bottom. So I kicked it. Yeah I kicked it.

sure you did junkie....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:59:15 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:00:15 am »
I have a package in the pantry that I bought a couple of weeks ago and forgot about!  Hmmmm...

I keep mine in the fridge....for the grandkids ya know...cough, cough
Support the USO

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:00:20 am »
I think regular is way better than double stuffed.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:21 am »
Buzz kill...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:00 am »
Cream's the best part

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:53 am »
I keep mine in the fridge....for the grandkids ya know...cough, cough

:silly:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 02:08:45 am »
I'm with Lipstick.. dip in milk.  Speaking of milk my local health food store now sells non GMO whole milk - you know with the cream on top - in glass bottles.  Worth the money - it is amazing how different it tastes from regular grocery store milk... as in a better way!  It comes from grass-fed cows.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 02:16:39 am »
I think regular is way better than double stuffed.

Me too.  I think the filling to cookie ratio is just right with the regular ones.  There are so many Oreo choices anymore when you go to the store, but I always go back to the originals.  I buy them for my Dad, but I'm bad to grab one every time I pass them.  And yes, they are divine with milk!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 02:21:20 am »
I'm with Lipstick.. dip in milk.  Speaking of milk my local health food store now sells non GMO whole milk - you know with the cream on top - in glass bottles.  Worth the money - it is amazing how different it tastes from regular grocery store milk... as in a better way!  It comes from grass-fed cows.

How much does it cost?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 02:32:02 am »

:silly:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 02:38:42 am »
How much does it cost?

$5.95 - and that is if I bring the bottle back every week... otherwise add $1.50 for the bottle. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:39:42 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:22:19 am »
How does one get the cookie through the straw or rolled currency up one's nose?  :pondering: :pondering: :pondering: :whistle:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline raml

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 03:22:52 am »
I must be a strange one then because I can take them or leave them and I haven't had one in ages. I did try the double cream and I hate them. I really only like the outside of the cookie when I do eat one. I don't like frosting on a cake either and if I am making a cake that is only for me I don't put frosting on it. I am not big on sweets unless it is real fruit or pies.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:17 am »
I must be a strange one then because I can take them or leave them and I haven't had one in ages. I did try the double cream and I hate them. I really only like the outside of the cookie when I do eat one. I don't like frosting on a cake either and if I am making a cake that is only for me I don't put frosting on it. I am not big on sweets unless it is real fruit or pies.

I'm really not that big of a fan either. That and I've completely stopped eating junk food.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 10:42:10 am »
I'm really not that big of a fan either. That and I've completely stopped eating junk food.

Same with me. Then, one day a Girl Scout knocked on my door. Sure, it started with mint thins. But soon I was hitting my connection, 2–3 times a day. Yeah, that's right, the 7–Eleven. And none of the 'lite' stuff either. No, not me. Nothing but the big boys for me

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 02:48:55 pm »
I'm with you, raml. Oreos and other sweet treats do nothing for me (and cocaine probably wouldn't either, if I ever was stupid enough to try it). My bad habit is Wheat Thins.   :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »
I'm with you, raml. Oreos and other sweet treats do nothing for me (and cocaine probably wouldn't either, if I ever was stupid enough to try it). My bad habit is Wheat Thins.   :laugh:

I could be hooked on anything that tastes good.

I can't even eat almonds (one of the world's healthiest food) without fighting the urge to grab a few hundred of them.   ^-^

My best solution (and it works!) is not having anything in the house that tempts me.

And that includes both Oreos and Wheat Thins!