Author Topic: Reid: House bill DOA in Senate  (Read 952 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Reid: House bill DOA in Senate
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:41:45 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/328557-reid-pans-house-plan-as-a-blatant-attack-on-bipartisanship

Reid: House bill DOA in Senate
By Ramsey Cox - 10/15/13 11:41 AM ET

The House's latest plan to raise the debt ceiling and end the government shutdown won't pass the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said on Tuesday.

“It’s unproductive and a waste of time,” Reid said. “The House legislation will not pass the Senate.”

Senate leaders are working on a deal that would end the shutdown, fund the government through Jan. 15 and raise the debt ceiling until February.

House Republicans met Tuesday morning to discuss preempting the Senate by passing their own plan to raise the debt ceiling and end the shutdown.

The House bill would delay Obamacare's medical device tax and scrap healthcare subsidies for members of Congress and top Cabinet officials, among other provisions. Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said no firm decisions about the plan have been made.

Reid said the bill is a non-starter even if Boehner finds the votes he needs to pass it.

“It’s a plan to advance an extreme piece of legislation and its nothing but a blatant attack on bipartisanship. ... We felt blindsided by the news from the House."

"Everyone needs to know that the measure under discussion in the House is no part of what we have negotiated here in the Senate."

Reid has criticized linking the medical device tax to the budget plan as "stupid" idea.

A spokesman for Boehner questioned why Reid is unwilling to accept a delay of the tax, given the broad support among Senate Democrats for repealing it.

"Is Senator Reid so blinded by partisanship that he is willing to risk default on our debt to protect a 'pacemaker tax' that 34 Senate Democrats are on the record opposing, and he himself called 'stupid'?" Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said.

Sen. John McCain criticized Democrats for their swift dismissal of the House legislation.

“I don’t understand that visceral reaction in a most negative fashion,” McCain said from the Senate floor.

McCain suggested that the House and Senate could both pass debt-ceiling bills and then go to conference to work out their differences.

“I believe it’s a good faith effort from the Speaker of the House,” McCain said. “Let’s stop the condemnation. Let’s consider the Republican House proposal as a serious proposal.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Reid: House bill DOA in Senate
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:46:46 pm »
Mccain standing up for house republicans! Wonder what THAT'S all about!

Could it be that YOU are finally getting through to him just a little!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »
Rush Limbaugh
The Democrats in Congress are willing to hold this country hostage and risk default rather than give up their Obamacare subsidy. Don't think that's not part of what this is about. Members of Congress and Senate want 75% of their Obamacare expenses paid for, and they are willing to hold the country hostage and shut down the government and risk the credit rating and all that garbage for their own personal gain.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »
Mccain standing up for house republicans! Wonder what THAT'S all about!

Could it be that YOU are finally getting through to him just a little!

I about fell out of my chair when I heard that soundbyte....lol
Support the USO