Author Topic: Five thoughts on the Obamacare disaster By Ezra Klein  (Read 2000 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Five thoughts on the Obamacare disaster By Ezra Klein
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »

Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

Re: Five thoughts on the Obamacare disaster By Ezra Klein
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Shutting down the government was the biggest mistake made by the GOP in the last ten years.  Obamacare's failure was right there for the taking...........
...........but no..........idiot Republicans had to knock that off the front page with their losing strategy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
Shutting down the government was the biggest mistake made by the GOP in the last ten years.  Obamacare's failure was right there for the taking...........
...........but no..........idiot Republicans had to knock that off the front page with their losing strategy.

You're a freaking broken record.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »
You're a freaking broken record.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

When this shutdown is over and the GOP gets nothing (as it certainly appears is likely), my "I told you sos" are going to be all over this forum.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »

When this shutdown is over and the GOP gets nothing (as it certainly appears is likely), my "I told you sos" are going to be all over this forum.

You are not going to spam threads with that!

Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

Where it is applicable to the topic, I certainly will.   The majority of posters on this forum had the misguided idea that they could defund Obamacare by shutting down the government.  Those tiny few of us who said otherwise were vilified and are still vilified.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
You and Rapunzel have a total of 261,651 posts versus sinkspur's 9,515 posts.

That means for every one of his posts, you two make 27.5 posts.

Yet you warn him he won't be able to post, if it does not follow the approved popular position?

That is quite a big change, from a site once formed to allow discussion of Rudi Giuliani, because that speech was blocked on a former site.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »

Yet you warn him he won't be able to post, if it does not follow the approved popular position?

That is quite a big change, from a site once formed to allow discussion of Rudi Giuliani, because that speech was blocked on a former site.

I have so many posts since I have posted the majority of articles up to several months ago...which I don't have to explain to you or sink.

No one is allowed to spam threads and when it happens I will take them down..

For once..just one time I would like to see you two stand with the conservatives in this fight against the libs...this is exactly why we are losing this battle because there are too many people on *our side* sabotaging us!

Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
I have so many posts since I have posted the majority of articles up to several months ago...which I don't have to explain to you or sink.

No one is allowed to spam threads and when it happens I will take them down..

For once..just one time I would like to see you two stand with the conservatives in this fight against the libs...this is exactly why we are losing this battle because there are too many people on *our side* sabotaging us!

We stand with you in the objective (repeal Obamacare) but not the tactics.  As it turns out, the tactics have proved not only futile, but are in fact damaging to the conservative cause. 

"We" are losing because too many people bought into the insane notion that Obama was going to agree to defund or delay his only significant achievement. 

The only good thing to come out of this is that the Republicans will never adopt the shutdown strategy again for at least another decade, maybe longer.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
No one knows what the right tactics are, this is all new territory with a Prez like this who refuse to negotiate but it sure was nice seeing a few conservatives stand up and say what we were thinking whether it worked or not!.....and I agree with Rush...this isn't playing well outside of DC..they can all believe their phony baloney polls where they poll 10-15% more Dems at their risk.

Support the USO

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
I have held for months that the only way to kill Obamacare is to allow it to asphixiate itself under its own weight. 
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
And I wonder what the Republican leadership thought the best possible outcome could be following the tactics they employed.  Or, the worst.  Where on that spectrum do you think they are landing?
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
No one knows what the right tactics are, this is all new territory with a Prez like this who refuse to negotiate but it sure was nice seeing a few conservatives stand up and say what we were thinking whether it worked or not!.....and I agree with Rush...this isn't playing well outside of DC..they can all believe their phony baloney polls where they poll 10-15% more Dems at their risk.
Then why if "no one knows what the right tactics are," would you expect everyone here to have the same opinion, and threaten to stifle non-conforming speech?

It takes a 2/3 majority to override a Presidential veto. That is a fact that no amount of emotionalism will reverse.

This entire episode reminds me of a commander, who after he is informed his forces are seriously outnumbered and outgunned, says charge to their death.

Washington used strategic retreat, to live to fight another war. Eisenhower waited until his forces and conditions were ready, to do Normandy properly.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

You're kidding, right?  Even Ted Cruz couldn't explain how he was going to force Obama to defund a healthcare law he scratched and clawed to pass.  Nobody living in reality could have thought he was going to yield on that.  And why would he negotiate?  What did the Republicans have that he wanted?  He knew conservatives would get the hell beaten out of them in a shutdown, and they have.

No this isn't playing well outside of DC, but Republicans are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to who smells best.

So instead of beating HIM over head with the disastrous Obamacare rollout, the GOP is suffering from having shut the government down over nothing.

Nothing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:27:41 PM by sinkspur »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »

Juvenile.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »
And I wonder what the Republican leadership thought the best possible outcome could be following the tactics they employed.  Or, the worst.  Where on that spectrum do you think they are landing?

Boehner knew this wouldn't work, but he has that group of 40 that he has to placate if he wants to get anything done.  So, he takes the entire party over the cliff to please a minority. 

Maybe he thought, somehow, Obama would breakdown and negotiate.  But, why would Obama negotiate when he's holding all the cards?  There's one small glimmer of hope, that the Republicans can keep the sequester cuts in place in budget negotiations in January.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »

When Sinky's "I told you so" count approaches that of your obsessive Todd Akin/Deroy Murdock posts, we will have reached obsessive/compulsive, er, free speech nirvana.  :laugh:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
When Sinky's "I told you so" count approaches that of your obsessive Todd Akin/Deroy Murdock posts, we will have reached obsessive/compulsive, er, free speech nirvana.  :laugh:
Thanks for your deeply insightful additions. I'll be sure to keep that in mind in the future.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
My pleasure, hon. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
I would much rather have heard in recent news how the Republicans were getting traction on the IRS scandal, Benghazi, the NSA, Syria and Putin's gain... in addition to the disastrous roll-out of ACA.  But, we haven't.

Ultimately, I may be wrong and I hope I am... but we sure have f'd up a lot.  At this point, it seems to me we have f'd it ALL up.

And, Ted Cruz' filibuster is already yesterday's news.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

Deroy Murdock is a journalist.  You must mean Richard Murdock.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
I would much rather have heard in recent news how the Republicans were getting traction on the IRS scandal, Benghazi, the NSA, Syria and Putin's gain... in addition to the disastrous roll-out of ACA.  But, we haven't.

Ultimately, I may be wrong and I hope I am... but we sure have f'd up a lot.  At this point, it seems to me we have f'd it ALL up.

And, Ted Cruz' filibuster is already yesterday's news.

Yes we did 'ef it up.  Or rather, Ted Cruz and Mike Lee 'effed it up.  Rand Paul has kept his hands rather clean from all this mess and looks like the statesman of the three.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

Gee, I guess you missed the obvious - the reason Myst and I have such high counts is WE post the majority of articles on this site. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
Gee, I guess you missed the obvious - the reason Myst and I have such high counts is WE post the majority of articles on this site.

And, count me among the grateful!

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:27 PM »
Deroy Murdock is a journalist.  You must mean Richard Murdock.

I have no idea.  Talk to truth_seeker.  He's always whining about Deroy. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf