Author Topic: Cory Booker poll numbers in free fall 2 days ahead of N.J. Senate election  (Read 1256 times)

Offline happyg

Democrat Cory Booker’s lead over Republican Steve Lonegan in the race to fill New Jersey’s vacant Senate seat has shrunk to 10 points with about 48 hours to go before Wednesday’s special election.

Mr. Booker, the mayor of Newark, still enjoys 52 percent of support from state voters compared to Mr. Lonegan’s 42 percent, according to a Monmouth University poll.

While he is still expected to win, Mr. Booker’s edge has faltered from the 13-point lead he had two weeks ago and a 16-point lead he held over the summer in his bid to replace the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg in Washington.

The poll found that 12 percent of voters are undecided or could change their minds, and Mr. Lonegan — the conservative former mayor of Bogota, N.J. —holds a 48 percent to 43 percent lead among independent voters.

“Concerns about Cory Booker’s intentions to serve New Jersey continue to persist and his favorabilityratings continue to drop,” said Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute. “At the same time, voters clearly prefer Booker’s political views over Lonegan’s. The message seems to be that Garden State voters don’t like to feel that their support is being taken for granted.”

Mr. Murray was referring to poll results that showed more voters think Mr. Booker is putting the national spotlight over the opportunity to serve New Jersey.

The pollsters also raised another question: Will anyone show up at the polls?

“Turnout continues to be a big question in this unprecedented situation: a mid-October Wednesday election held just three weeks before the regularly scheduled November election for governor, state legislature, and a variety of local offices,” the university said.

Both candidates are crisscrossing the Garden State on Monday with numerous campaign stops, even though it is a federal holiday, the Newark Star-Ledger reported.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2013/oct/14/cory-bookers-lead-nj-senate-race-down-10-points-po/print/#ixzz2hnQovNfl
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Booker will win simply because of the overwhelming number of Democrats in the state, his skin color, and any voter fraud the Democrats decide is needed to ensure victory.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline collins

Well, I agree with AC above that Booker will probably win due to "election irregularities" but I don't think it will be on the up-and-up at all - NJ is not as liberal a state as many think, but political corruption there is rampant from what I hear. The state DID elect that fat guy for governor, but . . .  Booker doesn't even live in Newark.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This reminds me almost to the letter of what happened in New York governor primary about 3 years ago. Rick Lazio was in the lead for months, right up to the day of the primary. Then Carl Paladino won, and won big. (The Dems, along with a coordinated Albany press corp, made sure that such an upset wouldn't happen again and ran the most slanderous campaign on the planet against Paladino in the general.)

Polls are a lagging indicator. If they are breaking in one direction, expect that trend to be magnified come the time of the actual vote. Lonegan is going to be very close. I won't guarantee victory, but it is well within the realm of plausibility at this point.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:25:23 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline olde north church

I was considering voting for Booker just out of a desire to see nobama's attention focus be diminished.  Now I will be voting Lonegan because he actually has a shot.  Not a big one but a shot nonetheless.
There is a game being played on Booker, it seems, by the Jackson and Clinton types.  Like "he would be getting our coffee". 
Strategically dripped leaks and info about Booker.  Gay.  Not a resident of Newark.  Stuff a lockstep campaign or party wouldn't allow.
New Jersey politics at it's finest.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.