Author Topic: Government shutdown unleashes racism  (Read 2289 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Government shutdown unleashes racism
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
OK, those of you who said the slob with the confederate flag during the Veterans protest would be the focus nailed it 1000%.
I am not excerpting this time, so you do not have to give Politico the page views unless you wish to do so.

---------------------------------------

Question: If Ted Cruz and John Boehner were both on a sinking ship, who would be saved?

Answer: America.

Harsh? Look around you at what is happening to America and you will see harsh. I am not talking about closed parks and monuments. I am talking about the funds cut to nearly 9 million mothers and young children for food, breastfeeding support and infant formula.

That is harsh. Making a war against babies is harsh. And for what? Because Cruz, Republican senator from Texas, has grown so drunk on the sound of his own voice and so besotted with illusions of his own grandeur that he believes halting government today will propel him into the White House tomorrow?

As The New York Times ably pointed out, this shutdown did not just happen. It was plotted for months by a coalition of more than three dozen conservative groups led by Edwin Meese III. The groups were funded in part by the billionaire right-wing Koch brothers, who wanted to cripple Obamacare. (Koch Companies denies it has supported using the shutdown as a tactic.)

You remember Meese. He was Ronald Reagan’s attorney general, who was forced to resign in the Wedtech scandal while under investigation by a special prosecutor. Today, Meese sees himself not as a sleazy hustler but America’s savior. And he wants to save us from health care.

Shortly after Obama began his second term, Meese went to work gathering conservative influence-peddlers and members of the Tea Party Caucus in Congress to repeal Obamacare. Cruz was happy to act as Obamacare’s willing executioner in the Senate, and pushing a shutdown of government to do so.

House Speaker Boehner eventually went along. It was a blackmail on a massive order: Stop Obamacare or we will never reopen the government.

It is now evident that both houses of Congress have the votes to end the shutdown. But, so far, Boehner will not let that come to a vote. If he does, he is afraid the tea party conservatives will strip him of his job.

“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?” the New Testament asks.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever seen Boehner’s suite of offices in the Capitol? It would make Midas blush.

Boehner does not bend to the will of his Kamikaze Caucus because he is an evil man. He does so because he is a weak man. To borrow a line from Theodore Roosevelt, I could carve a better man out of a banana.

There is a price to be paid for all this. Even if the immediate problems are somehow solved and a government default avoided — for now — the scab has been torn off our political wounds.

This weekend, racism came out of the closet. (Which assumes it has ever been in the closet.)

Protesters marched through the streets of Washington on Sunday with a Confederate flag and then a protester lounged against the White House fence with one. Displaying the Confederate flag in front of a home occupied by a black family was meant to send a particular, and particularly repellent, message.

There were other signs of our descent. Remember Samuel Wurzelbacher? Known as “Joe the Plumber,” he was selected by John McCain as his presidential campaign mascot in 2008 with the same care McCain used to select Sarah Palin.

Over the weekend, Wurzelbacher posted an article on his blog titled: “America Needs a White Republican President.”

“Admit it,” the article said. “You want a white Republican president again. Wanting a white Republican president doesn’t make you racist, it just makes you American.”

America has come to a sorry pass. Not because there are still racists among us, but because the racists among us think they can tell us what makes an American.

These people are like the man in the cartoon: He has climbed out on a tree limb and is sawing off the limb behind him, imagining that the tree will fall and not him.

They are wrong about that. America will not fall. It will withstand this moment and these people.

I started with a joke and so I will end with one:

Question: What is the difference between the people who shut down the government and the people who have been furloughed?

Answer: The people who have been furloughed actually want to work.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/government-shutdown-racism-roger-simon-98272.html#ixzz2hn07lFni

---------------------------------

The comments are particularly poisonous.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

famousdayandyear

Re: Government shutdown unleashes racism
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:45:10 am »
It is a practice personally to never respond/read anything published by Politico.  Nothing. Nada for the Hispanics. 

Good Morning, EC.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:47:49 am »
Morning famous! Hope today will be an awesome one for you!  :beer:

I try not to read politico also, but this one made me so damned mad and fulfilled what people were saying on the live thread so perfectly it was worth posting.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:59 pm »
Edwin Meese?  I didn't realize he still was alive, and certainly hadn't heard he's behind the tea party.  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »
And what of Obama? He, too, must hate mothers and infants. Because as president of all the people in a constitutional republic he is duty bound to negotiate a settlement. And yet he has steadfastly refused to talk to the representatives of the people! Why is that? One can only conclude he hates infants suckling at their mother's breast or receiving formula or seeing young children get their food.

Oh, what a petulant, cruel, evil, heartless man Obama is.

Sheesh, Politico--give us a break.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:11 pm »
Politico?  Give us a break?  Their entire purpose is to push the Obama agenda.  Heck, that redneck flag-waver was probably an Occupier cousin of one of their employees.

Did you ever see a true redneck sporting shiny new boots?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »
This daily dose of "Right thought, Wrong thought" is brought to you by the letter O.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:00:15 pm »
Politico?  Give us a break?  Their entire purpose is to push the Obama agenda.  Heck, that redneck flag-waver was probably an Occupier cousin of one of their employees.

Did you ever see a true redneck sporting shiny new boots?

As a tried and true redneck flag-waver (with shiny new boots), do I have the right to be offended like every other minority.  I want to be protected, dammit.
 :silly: :seeya:

Offline rustynail

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:27 pm »
We need to know more about the man with the 'flag'.  My first thought was provocateur.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »
We need to know more about the man with the 'flag'.  My first thought was provocateur.

Why?  And which flag are you speaking of.  I suggest you know more about the flag first.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »
Well Famous, I lived in Texas for 28 years, and never recall seeing a true redneck sporting shiny new shit-kickers.   Maybe this guys's rich liberal uncle at Politico bought them for him.   :shrug:

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »
Why?  And which flag are you speaking of.  I suggest you know more about the flag first.

I'm sure he's speaking of the flag that's guaranteed to set off liberal cries of racism in the press. 

famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »
I'm sure he's speaking of the flag that's guaranteed to set off liberal cries of racism in the press. 

Cannot he not speak for hisself? 
What be dat flag you be discussin? And why does it "set off" folks>

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:12:02 pm »

Yep, they have the luxury of ignoring middle America–but we can't ignore them and all their mythologies because the left owns the media. And we are forced to deal with it.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 01:27:37 pm »
Yep, they have the luxury of ignoring middle America–but we can't ignore them and all their mythologies because the left owns the media. And we are forced to deal with it.

Solution:  REFUSE to deal with it.  Nobody should force you to accept their crap.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »
Famous, I get your perspective. But they set the agenda; they own the stadium, the equipment, the players, the production crew that carries the game. And so we are forced to correct the record. We can't ignore it. In fact, it's our job to set the record straight. That's how we change minds.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 01:46:26 pm »
Famous, I get your perspective. But they set the agenda; they own the stadium, the equipment, the players, the production crew that carries the game. And so we are forced to correct the record. We can't ignore it. In fact, it's our job to set the record straight. That's how we change minds.

AC, I get your perspective, as well.  I just disagree.  The liberals from the northeast and elsewhere are never going me to force me to take any action to defend their lies.  The facts of history are there--they are quite simply too lazy, incompetent and indoctrinated to do their own work. 

Even if I did the work for them and presented the record (setting it straight), it would quite simply be ignored.  Frankly, I'm tired of fighting the lies and the idiots that produce them.  Facts never matter to leftists with an agenda to fulfill.

Thank you for presenting your view politely and respectfully.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 02:10:14 pm »
I guess it's the journalist in me. I want folks to have the facts. But I respect your POV and agree with much of it. You can't win the game by always being on defense.