Author Topic: The CW trims 'Reign' masturbation scene  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

The CW trims 'Reign' masturbation scene
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:11:24 am »
It might have been the most risqué scene in The CW’s history had it aired uncut.

The pilot for 16th century-based castle drama Reign featured a steamy masturbation scene in the version that was sent to advertisers and media after the show made the network’s schedule last May. But the final cut of the episode that was recently sent to critics and will air on the network this week has been toned down.

In the sequence, the Queen of Scottland (Adelaide Kane) has joined her teenage ladies-in-waiting in France and attend a wedding. After the ceremony, they secretly spy on the newlyweds’ “bedding ceremony” — where the couple has sex before a group of elders who are present to ensure the marriage is consummated (more on this practice below).

The bedding is actually not the raunchy part. The moment that raised eyebrows among reporters at press tour this summer is what happens next: The aroused handmaidens scatter around the castle to find relief among various paramours. One of them, Kenna (Caitlin Stasey), assures she’s alone in a secluded stairwell, hikes up her gown, reaches under and starts … yep. Her self-pleasure is unexpectedly interrupted by none other than the King of France (Alan van Sprang), who smugly offers his assistance (“May I?”) and takes over.

All of this still happens in the premiere.

But now viewers see the barest suggestion of Kenna’s actions in a few quick shots, then king’s hand snatches hers from her lap. The moment went from a clear “I can’t believe they’re actually showing this” to “Was she doing what I think she was doing?” It still might inspire an outraged Parents Television Council press release (what doesn’t?), but probably won’t result in parents watching the show with their kids actually having to have any awkward conversations.

Interestingly, the new version also adds a couple scenes, and one is a quick shot of a man’s beheading complete with his neck stump spurting blood. So Reign may take on European history, but it’s content censors are definitely American.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/14/reign-masturbation-scene/

Without comment.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

Re: The CW trims 'Reign' masturbation scene
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »
So Reign may take on European history ...
I believe I've read that the producers of this show haven't even attempted to portray history accurately, from the costumes to the events depicted. Not that it matters to the low-information, Miley Cyrus-level audience...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »
I believe I've read that the producers of this show haven't even attempted to portray history accurately, from the costumes to the events depicted. Not that it matters to the low-information, Miley Cyrus-level audience...

Which is what the CW is.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:46 pm »
I rather like costume dramas and after having watched "The White Queen" on AMC was considering giving this show a go.

Not so much anymore.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:25:48 am »
I'm watching it.  So far so good.  The costumes are beautiful as is the scenery.  The young girl playing Mary Queen of Scots is beautiful.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:41 am »
From what I have read so far, no wonder I gave up TV and cable 10 years ago.
What a cesspool.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:09 am »
Going on three years without a TV... Or a wife... who was always watching TV.

I got a Twofer in this deal.

By the way, what is CW anyway?

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 06:04:15 am »

From its own website:

The CW Network was formed as a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation. The CW is America's fifth broadcast network and the only network targeting women 18-34.

The network's primetime schedule includes such popular series as The Vampire Diaries, Arrow, America's Next Top Model, Reign, Hart of Dixie, The Tomorrow People, Supernatural, Nikita, Beauty and the Beast, and The Originals.

CW is one of those networks which have proliferated since the advent of cable. I have never watched much of what they offer and despite Rapunzel's reserved approval of "The Reign" shall probably not watch that show either. OTOH, the deleted masturbation scene may have been put out there for the publicity it garnered. Either way, a part of the show or for publicity, that is too indicative of the kinds of creepy minds behind the network and this production.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 07:39:35 am »
There wasn't any sex scenes.  The costuming and the scenery were magnificent,. Definitely aimed at the 18-34 age groups as the music they used in one scene was definitely out of place for the era, but over all very mild compared to The Tudors - though the Tudors is definitely more "adult" entertainment being on Showtime.  The young lady playing Mary is very, very pretty (Mary was not reported to be particularly pretty) and the kid playing Francis is okay..  Oh another thing all her ladies in waiting have names other than Mary.  Anyone who knows the real history is aware all her "ladies" - ever single one - was named Mary same as her.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »

From its own website:

CW is one of those networks which have proliferated since the advent of cable. I have never watched much of what they offer and despite Rapunzel's reserved approval of "The Reign" shall probably not watch that show either. OTOH, the deleted masturbation scene may have been put out there for the publicity it garnered. Either way, a part of the show or for publicity, that is too indicative of the kinds of creepy minds behind the network and this production.

Thank you for the information. I guess I really meant to ask what the CW stands for. The only CW I could think of is country and western. Obviously wrong.

I prefer entertainment not push the limits of decency. Prior generations of filmmakers used imagination as part of the film viewing experience—of course there were standards then. Now, it's all in your face.

Subtlety and innuendo can go a long way. I just wish we could go back to leaving some things to the imagination.