Author Topic: Outrageous treatment of Army First Lt. Clint Lorance: Sentenced 20 Yrs For Icing Taliban  (Read 3491 times)

famousdayandyear

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/allen-west-out-foxhole/2013/oct/14/more-outrageous-treatment-our-military/#ixzz2hjUCHLaL

Obama's military contempt: The outrageous treatment of Army First Lt. Clint Lorance

Monday, October 14, 2013 - Allen West

A recent case against a young Army soldier shows once again how our military is under fire from all sides here at home.

WASHINGTON, October 14, 2013 – If the fact that the Obama Administration has blocked aging veterans from visiting the World War II memorial and denied death gratuity benefits for fallen warriors doesn’t seem to indicate contempt for our military, how about this most recent story?

Army First Lieutenant Clint Lorance, a 28-year-old combat leader in the 82d Airborne Division from Celeste, Texas was recently found guilty of two counts of murder in Afghanistan and sentenced to 20 years in Ft. Leavenworth.

SEE RELATED: Fort Hood: The difference between Nidal Hasan and Aaron Nemelka

The story of First Lieutenant Lorance has not been covered by a single major media source.

In July 2012, Lorance was ordered to take command of a platoon in the southern Afghanistan province of Kandahar, a region where I also spent two and a half years training and advising the Afghan National Army. The platoon Lorance now commanded had lost its previous leader to enemy attack.

During a patrol in enemy territory, Lorance ordered a marksman to engage two unarmed Taliban fighters on a motorcycle operating as scout spotters.

In Afghanistan and Iraq, a common enemy tactic is for unarmed fighters on motorcycles with cell phones to track unit movements. In fact, enemy combatants had previously used the tactics against this same platoon.

SEE RELATED: Nidal Hasan: Let the law apply

Lorance, who was operating in a combat zone, saw the scout spotters and assessed them as a threat to his platoon. Aerial surveillance later backed up Lorance’s on-the-ground assessment.

It seems obvious that enemy scouts reporting a unit position and movements in order to facilitate an ambush would define “hostile intent.” But not according to the watered-down Rules of Engagement with which our warriors must contend.

In little more than a year, First Lieutenant Lorance was tried and sentenced to prison. Swift justice to be sure, but why then did it take four years to try and convict Nidal Malik Hasan, who fatally shot 13 and wounded more than 30 during his 2009 rampage at Ft Hood Texas?

The irony of the dilemma currently facing our troops, those who have volunteered to protect and defend our freedoms, is appalling. Shall they fight and kill the enemy but then risk imprisonment because of insidious rules by lawyers?

Or shall they be killed and denied their rightful benefits for their families, because of insidious declarations by lawyers and politicians?

We are sending the wrong message to our enemies, and we are clearly sending the wrong message to those who would sacrifice their lives for our nation.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:30:23 pm by famousdayandyear »

Offline Rapunzel

Disgusting.  I want us out of Afghanistan - actually the entire Middle East - NOW.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

Disgusting.  I want us out of Afghanistan - actually the entire Middle East - NOW.

And what about Lt Lorance?  We let him sit in Leavenworth for 20 years for trying to defend his platoon.  Generalizations are great, but do not address this specific case.  Thank God Allen West seems to have his back--not that that does any good with the idiot Hagel as SecDef.

Liberal_Spy

Here, here!  :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

And what about Lt Lorance?  We let him sit in Leavenworth for 20 years for trying to defend his platoon.  Generalizations are great, but do not address this specific case.  Thank God Allen West seems to have his back--not that that does any good with the idiot Hagel as SecDef.

My opinion in THIS case is this young man did the right thing and his life - like many others during this war - is being destroyed because of it. 

Yes, Hagel is an idiot, I didn't think Gates was much better frankly and I think what Petraeus did in Afghanistan to make our men kow tow to citizens is pure bull... I watched the special on HBO which showed the brutal truth of what our soldiers are dealing with in Afghanistan and it only served to make me want to pull out all our soldiers and bomb the place to smithereens.    But what I think and what I can do anything to change is two different things when even my GOP senator is one of the enemy.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Unbelievable. It used to be you assumed everyone was armed in a combat zone.  If you are in a combat zone and appear to be supplying intelligence, you are an enemy combatant and a potential target. A soldier can't stop, search someone for a weapon, fill out a threat analysis, consult a lawyer, and take a poll all before shooting an enemy combatant.

Liberal_Spy

Unbelievable. It used to be you assumed everyone was armed in a combat zone.  If you are in a combat zone and appear to be supplying intelligence, you are an enemy combatant and a potential target. A soldier can't stop, search someone for a weapon, fill out a threat analysis, consult a lawyer, and take a poll all before shooting an enemy combatant.

I've had battle buddies get killed because they were too worried about shooting what did end up being a hostile.

Offline sinkspur

What's the Army's side of the story? 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

famousdayandyear

What's the Army's side of the story? 

Workplace violence.

Offline sinkspur

Offline Cincinnatus

Workplace violence.  :silly: (sufficient explanation for those slow on the uptake?)

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Cincinnatus

Yea, here. http://tinyurl.com/3dmmatf

Thank you. My second good laugh on a thread that is covering something not much laughable.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

Yea, here. http://tinyurl.com/3dmmatf

Oh, I know said poster is being a smart-ass.  Apparently nobody here is interested in what led the Army to do what they did.

After further reading, it appears this guy WAS railroaded.  I would agree with his mother:  Get your kids and husbands out of the military.  Why anyone in this day and age would volunteer for Obama's Armed Services is beyond me.

The Services are full of politicized bleep who are more concerned about appearances than actually winning anything.  This is especially true of the brass, who love to parade around with their bars while kissing every ass of everyone above them.

Offline Cincinnatus

Oh, I know said poster is being a smart-ass.

Or was she simply making a clever and witty comment that really shouldn't elicit such an unpleasant response?

Offline Rapunzel

Just a heads-up Megyn Kelly is going to cover this on her show tonight.  So far I've noticed she gives more time to cover subjects on her new show than you see on either BOR or Hannity.

famousdayandyear

Just a heads-up Megyn Kelly is going to cover this on her show tonight.  So far I've noticed she gives more time to cover subjects on her new show than you see on either BOR or Hannity.

Great news that she is addressing what is happening here.  There is also the case of Lt. Michael Behenna--who is still incarcerated in Leavenworth.  Thx for the update.