Author Topic: Colorado 6th Graders, Parents, Required To Take “Righty/Lefty” Survey  (Read 1762 times)

Offline happyg

Today we received an email from one of our Stand Up For The Truth listeners about a very disturbing assignment given in the Aurora Public School District in Colorado:

Attached is an assignment given to my 12-year-old great-nephew in his 7th grade social studies class. It is an outrage, and I’m so proud of my niece (his mom) who was able to articulately respond why this assignment is so inappropriate for this age group – and unlawful to request a families private beliefs/information.”

The assignment was titled, “Righty or Lefty?”

Here are the instructions, followed by just a few of the examples of survey questions under the headings, Guns, Abortion, Crimes & Punishment, Environment, Health Care, Education, Free Speech & Religion, Gay Marriage, Defense, and Taxes.  Notice the subtle tone:

Each student was asked to tally his or her score and determine where on the scale between the two extremes they landed. And finally, the request for parents to take the survey too. This was enough for the mom, who wrote her response

Here is the transcript of the letter to the school:

am appalled by the “Righty or Lefty” poll. First of all it is nobody’s business what mine or my 12-year-old son’s political views are. Secondly, my own son does not even know what half of these issues mean until after discussing them with him. His answers vary greatly during discussion. His views will always change as he grows and as new issues arise and he learns that these things have an effect on his life.

As I am reading these topics, I have noticed the entire thing is pro-Liberal and con-Conservative, being completely skewed towards “Lefty-nicey/meany conservatives” ideology, which I do not approve of. The entire thing is unbalanced and an unfair and inaccurate representation. My family is NEITHER and I do not appreciate you or the school trying to pawn this assignment off on students who are too young to have valuable opinions on these subjects!

I do not know what importance this has as being an assigned worksheet for a “major grade” (has he has informed me). I do not want to hear about it being for a government assignment! Learning about government is one thing – but it is none of your business to try and pry personal information out of a child on extremely private information. I am excusing my son from this assignment and expect this NOT to be counted against his grade.    Sincerely, _____.

The great-aunt of the student concludes,
If this assignment doesn’t necessarily fit the Common Core agenda, it certainly fits the agenda of those collecting private information on students and parents for the Jeffco School District nearby here in CO by a grant from the Gates Foundation.   This assignment is clearly an attempt to collect private data from my niece and her family through her 12 year old son.

We are attempting to contact the district for further comment as to whether this is part of the Common Core curriculum, or simply a teacher who thought this survey might be a good idea.

http://standupforthetruth.com/2013/10/colorado-6th-graders-parents-required-to-take-rightyleftysurvey/

Offline Rapunzel

Bravo to your niece.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
They were a lot nicer than I would have been.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline NavyCanDo

My 6th grader brought home a reading assignment they gave him at school last week, an anti-meat Op-ed.  The assignment was to read the story and write using your own words what the author was trying to say.  They gave him a score of 1 because he didn't do the assignment. The reason he didn't do the assignment was because he was disgusted by the topic. He was smart enough to see the anti-meat message and refused to do it.     

The op-ed was from the New York Times

Not Grass-Fed, but at Least Pain-FreeBy-Adam Shiver

A quick BING search for the Op-ed found a reprint in the Animal Liberation Front (terrorist group) web page.

I'm not bothered by his score of 1, because in my book he used his brain. In my book he got a 100.    Oh by the way my wife cooked up a prime rib that night.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline happyg

My 6th grader brought home a reading assignment they gave him at school last week, an anti-meat Op-ed.  The assignment was to read the story and write using your own words what the author was trying to say.  They gave him a score of 1 because he didn't do the assignment. The reason he didn't do the assignment was because he was disgusted by the topic. He was smart enough to see the anti-meat message and refused to do it.     

The op-ed was from the New York Times

Not Grass-Fed, but at Least Pain-FreeBy-Adam Shiver

A quick BING search for the Op-ed found a reprint in the Animal Liberation Front (terrorist group) web page.

I'm not bothered by his score of 1, because in my book he used his brain. In my book he got a 100.    Oh by the way my wife cooked up a prime rib that night.

It's too bad they didn't tell the students to just write whether they agree with the article or not, and why. Even so, they are not in hs speech class.

Offline Cincinnatus

Congrats to your son, NavyCanDo.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There's only one solution when public schools act like this.

That is, take the kids OUT OF public school, and get them into parochial or private school.

If one is unwilling to do this, one must accept the reality that their kids are going to be indoctrinated against their own parents, and their parents' value systems and beliefs, by the leftists who control "public" education.

It's really quite simple.
Anyone should be able to understand this.