Author Topic: Bob Costas: Redskins Name 'an Insult, a Slur'  (Read 1366 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bob Costas: Redskins Name 'an Insult, a Slur'
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/10/13/Costas-Redskins-Slur

by Breitbart Sports 13 Oct 2013

During halftime of NBC's Sunday Night Football telecast of the NFC East battle between the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys, sports anchor Bob Costas again interjected himself into a political issue, saying the Redskins name cannot honor a heritage or a "noble character trait" and is an "insult" and a "slur."

Costas, who politicized gun control after the tragic murder-suicide of Kansas City Chiefs player Jovan Belcher last year, said the Redskins name "can’t possibly honor a heritage, or noble character trait, nor can it possibly be considered a neutral term."

"It’s an insult, a slur, no matter how benign the present-day intent," Costas said. "It is fair to say that for a long time now, and certainly in 2013, no offense has been intended. But, if you take a step back, isn’t it clear to see how offense might legitimately be taken?"

Costas said it seemed like an "appropriate time" to acknowledge the controversy about the "Redskins" name.

After conceding that there is "no reason to believe that [Redskins] owner Daniel Snyder, or any official or player from his team, harbors animus toward Native Americans or wishes to disrespect them" and that even a majority of Native Americans may not be offended, Costas said there is "still a distinction to be made" after "having stipulated that."

He said that objections to names like "Braves," "Chiefs," and "Warriors" strike a lot of Americans as "political correctness run amok" and said those names "honor, rather than demean" and are like "Cowboys," "Patriots" "Seminoles" or "Blackhawks." He then noted colleges like Stanford, Dartmouth, St. John's, and Miami of Ohio that have changed nicknames.

"Still, the NFL franchise that represents the nation’s capital has maintained its name," Costas said. "But think for a moment about the term Redskins, and how it truly differs from all the others.  Ask yourself what the equivalent would be, if directed toward African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, or members of any other ethnic group."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Bob Costas: Redskins Name 'an Insult, a Slur'
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »
Costas is a sanctimonious hypocrite.  How many times has this clown used the term "Redskin" in his job; now he's running like mad to jump on the "ban the name Redskins" bandwagon.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:32:49 pm »
Costas is a sanctimonious hypocrite.  How many times has this clown used the term "Redskin" in his job; now he's running like mad to jump on the "ban the name Redskins" bandwagon.

Not only that, he makes the case for it to be a trivial issue, with very few taking offense, and some native Americans taking pride in the name. And then concludes with hand wringing that would make any liberal proud.

Bob Costas is past his prime. Go away Boob, er Bob.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »
If they changed their name to the Washington Shrimp, would Bob take that as a slur to those as vertically-challenged as he?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline collins

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »
Yeah, I was watching the Redskin/Cowboy game and almost decided to skip their halftime show when I saw that this twit was going to opine on this. The teaser said they'd review the earlier games and go a little in-depth on the Saints/Patriots game as well, but Costas ended up crying the majority of the time. That little tool is just doing what his Lord Obama told him to do, but it's annoying to many football fans. Costas pulled this same stunt last year over gun control - idiot NBC liberals can't keep their politics out of even a football game.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:27:59 pm »
As a Native American, I am very insulted, not by the name "Redskins" but by all of these people trying to erase every instance of Native culture from society just so they can have an issue to play 'champion' of to act like they are caring. In reality, Redskins is NOT insulting. Even ESPN did a poll of Native Americans a few years ago and over 90% said it wasn't insulting. At that, the origin of the word was an honor and something Natives called each other's warriors (based on warriors painting their faces red). Heck, the State name Oklahoma translates roughly to Red Skin and was a word to honor warriors.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:06 pm »
idiot NBC liberals can't keep their politics out of even a football game.

I usually don't watch the Sunday night game for that very reason.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
As a Native American, I am very insulted, not by the name "Redskins" but by all of these people trying to erase every instance of Native culture from society just so they can have an issue to play 'champion' of to act like they are caring. In reality, Redskins is NOT insulting. Even ESPN did a poll of Native Americans a few years ago and over 90% said it wasn't insulting. At that, the origin of the word was an honor and something Natives called each other's warriors (based on warriors painting their faces red). Heck, the State name Oklahoma translates roughly to Red Skin and was a word to honor warriors.

And in spite of the facts, the left has decided Redskins is offensive. By virtue of controlling the media, the left has made the Washington professional football team nickname an issue.

It's instructive to watch this play out. It shows the power of the left, and it illustrates that the left doesn't need reason or logic to push a point.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:59 pm »
Bob Costas is an insult to my intelligence!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »
Bob Costas is an insult to my intelligence!

I find the name Washington insulting to Native Americans. We don't want to be associated with that cesspool.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:26 pm »
I find the name Washington insulting to Native Americans. We don't want to be associated with that cesspool.

I don't blame you! Not a bit!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien