Author Topic: New Book: Margaret Thatcher worried about U.S. under Obama  (Read 1503 times)

rangerrebew

New Book: Margaret Thatcher worried about U.S. under Obama
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:18 am »
Newsmax  http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/thatcher-obama/2013/10/13/id/530787?promo_code=10731-1&utm_source=10731Daily_Caller&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

New Book: Margaret Thatcher Worried About U.S. Under Obama

Sunday, October 13, 2013 06:57 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Late British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was concerned by the United States' lean to the left after President Barack Obama took office in 2009, authors of a recently released book about "The Iron Lady" claim.

Thatcher never commented publicly on President Obama's leadership, though the Obama administration's big government agenda runs counter to everything she believed in, former Thatcher aide Niles Gardiner and writer Stephen Thompson, authors of "Margaret Thatcher on Leadership: Lessons for American Conservatives Today"  told The Daily Caller.

But even though Great Britain's first female prime minister didn't speak out publicly about Obama, she was privately concerned about the direction the United States had been taking since 2009, along with the declining leadership of the United States as a world power.

Urgent:  Should GOP Stick to Its Guns on Obamacare? Vote Here.

The book, released this month, is a guide from conservatives that combines her life story with principles and help for conservatives use toward solving their challenges, cutting through bureaucracy and standing up to "aggressive regimes," an Amazon book description says.

Gardiner in particular was very familiar with the late leader. He directs the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom at the Heritage Foundation, and was a foreign policy aide to her after she left Downing Street.

Thompson, a writer and consultant from Washington D.C., lived in the United Kingdom throughout Thatcher's term in office.

The former prime minister was always a conservative and greatly admired Sir Winston Churchill, Britain's Conservative prime minister during World War II and from 1951 to 1955.

The authors said Thatcher was a great leader because she was a "conviction politician" with "a clear set of conservative beliefs and principles which she led by" and was a "remarkably decisive leader" with "tremendous physical and political courage."

While Thatcher distrusted liberals, Democrats in the United States also did not honor her conservative viewpoints. In April, shortly after the late prime minister died, Senate Democrats came under fire for blocking a resolution honoring the long-time friend of the United States.

And Obama was slammed for declining to attend Thatcher's state funeral, citing a busy week from the aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing.

Urgent:  Should GOP Stick to Its Guns on Obamacare? Vote Here.

Downing Street was reportedly angered by rejections from Obama, his wife Michelle and Vice-President Joe Biden. However, the United States was also not represented at the funeral by former Republican Presidents George W. Bush or George Bush Sr., nor by Democratic former Presidents Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter.

Related Stories:

Thatcher, Freedom and Free Markets

Margaret Thatcher's Battle Against Stroke-Caused Dementia

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:18:26 am by rangerrebew »

Offline musiclady

Re: New Book: Margaret Thatcher worried about U.S. under Obama
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:46:54 pm »
Lady Thatcher was bright enough and strong enough to know danger when she saw it.

And Obama, of all previous Presidents in her long lifetime, is deeply and frighteningly dangerous for all that America, and freedom-lovers around the world hold dear.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
I'm sure Thatcher would have a huge disdain for Obama and his policies, but by 2009, her dementia was advanced. Her memory loss began as far back as 2000, according to her daughter, and when her husband died in 2003, she kept forgetting he was dead. This is an iffy story, so am waiting for more to come out. I'm not saying it's impossible, but unlikely.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:22:16 pm »
I'm sure Thatcher would have a huge disdain for Obama and his policies, but by 2009, her dementia was advanced. Her memory loss began as far back as 2000, according to her daughter, and when her husband died in 2003, she kept forgetting he was dead. This is an iffy story, so am waiting for more to come out. I'm not saying it's impossible, but unlikely.

Perhaps a moment or two of lucidity in her dementia?

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:46 pm »
Perhaps a moment or two of lucidity in her dementia?

Could be, but you have to have something to remember in the first place. I can only go by my husband and other experiences with dementia. Pat did not know about Obama. He quit reading the paper, and would just stare at the tv. By 2008, I had to quit work to care for him full time, and he died in 2012.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:36:44 pm »
Could be, but you have to have something to remember in the first place. I can only go by my husband and other experiences with dementia. Pat did not know about Obama. He quit reading the paper, and would just stare at the tv. By 2008, I had to quit work to care for him full time, and he died in 2012.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband (I didn't know).  That must have been extremely difficult for you to go through.  I can't even imagine how hard it is to watch one you love dearly disappear like that.....

Your point is good regarding needing something to remember.  If the onset of the dementia was as early as 2000, she wouldn't have been aware of what Obama was doing when he was elected in 2008.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:50:59 pm »
My father had early-onset Alzheimers which manifest itself by the late 1980s. By election day 1992, he was pretty far gone. In May 1993 he was taken from home to a hospital, thence to a nursing home where he died in Nov. 1993. That means he was in pretty bad shape when Bill Clinton was inaugurated on Jan. 20, 1993.  Nevertheless, my father still was able to understand that  Clinton was a jerk and a disgrace and would say of him, "He's not my president."

Just one of the many curiosities of Alzheimers, I guess.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »
Just one of the many curiosities of Alzheimers, I guess.Just one of the many curiosities of Alzheimers, I guess

Aside from it being such a devastating illness, Alzheimer's has many faces. I worked on an Alzheimer's unit at the same time my husband was first diagnosed. I recognized some of the symptoms, but all the residents were unique. One woman, who had been a psychologist, was brought there by her husband because she called 911, and said there was a strange man in her bed.  Another had been a preacher, but cussed up a storm. Some were downright mean, while others were gentle as a lamb. We were very careful doing their progress notes and designing their care, just like in other parts of the hospital, because of their differences.

As an aside, my dad died the year before of ALS. I had it from both ends of the medical spectrum.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:00:24 pm by happyg »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »
She was fine, though slightly disconcerting, in 2009. My wife is cabin crew, doing first class much of the time, and she had the honor of meeting Lady Thatcher in 2009. She was, at the time, all there, interested in everything and willing to chat on a long and boring flight.
The disconcerting part - she didn't drink, eat or use the loo once on a 10 hour flight. Wife still talks about that.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
I've just about finished reading the novel "Still Alice," by Lisa Genova, about a 50-year-old professor with early-onset Alzheimers. It offers an interesting perspective of the disease's effects from the patient's point of view.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:14 pm »
I've just about finished reading the novel "Still Alice," by Lisa Genova, about a 50-year-old professor with early-onset Alzheimers. It offers an interesting perspective of the disease's effects from the patient's point of view.

I read a book about a lady who had onset Alzheimer's, who began keeping a journal, so that she could read it to remind herself later on. As her disease progressed, she forgot about the journal, and then, couldn't read what she wrote when family members gave her the journal. So sad! Pat forgot how to read, but he recognized his name. I would right his name, and he would say, "That's me!", and just smile!