Author Topic: South Dakota ranchers reel after 'catastrophic' storm leaves up to 100,000 cattle dead  (Read 813 times)

Offline DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades.

Offline SouthTexas

South Dakota ranchers reel after 'catastrophic' storm leaves up to 100,000 cattle dead
   By Joshua Rhett Miller

With our continuing drought, beef prices will probably start to rise and since this is only October, prices may skyrocket if there is any more damage to the northern herds.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline SouthTexas

Don't they carry insurance to cover for those losses?

Some do and some don't.  Even with insurance against loss, any gain is lost and as demand rises, you cannot afford to replace them.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Some do and some don't.  Even with insurance against loss, any gain is lost and as demand rises, you cannot afford to replace them.

Yep. You spend decades carefully breeding to build up a high quality herd. Insurance doesn't cover that sort of loss.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
I just spoke with a friend visiting from Wyoming. He said some ranchers lost their entire herds.
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf