Author Topic: Police: 5 shot at Hmong festival in Tulsa, Okla.  (Read 1293 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Police: 5 shot at Hmong festival in Tulsa, Okla.
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:49:37 am »
Via AP: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TULSA_SHOOTINGS

TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Police have arrested two Hmong suspects in an attack at a Hmong New Year's festival in Tulsa, Okla., in which five people were wounded.

Capt. Mike Williams says police don't know a motive for Saturday night's shooting at the Green Country Event Center.

He says a police helicopter that was in the area spotted a suspicious vehicle driving away with its headlights off. He says officers arrested the two suspects after pulling them over and recovered a semi-automatic handgun they believe was used in the attack.

All five victims are Hmong. Williams says two are being treated for torso wounds and the other three are being treated for arm or leg wounds. He says one victim is in critical condition and another may lose a leg.

Too short to excerpt.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Re: Police: 5 shot at Hmong festival in Tulsa, Okla.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:42:34 pm »
As a former resident of Tulsa, I was a bit surprised to find there was a substantial Hmong community there. The local newspaper reports:
Two men have been arrested in connection with a shooting that hospitalized five people who were at the Green Country Event Center on Saturday night for a Hmong New Year’s celebration.

Boonmlee Lee, 21, and Meng Lee, 19, were arrested late Saturday and booked into the Tulsa Jail early Sunday on five counts each of shooting with intent to kill, according to jail records.

About 400 members of the Tulsa Hmong community were attending the celebration at the center at 12000 E. 31st St., Tulsa police said.

"I think it's some type of personal grudge," Capt. Mike Williams, said.

Two victims were shot in the torso and three others were shot in their arms and legs, police said. The victims were transported to St. Francis Hospital and St. John Medical Center. Ages of the victims range from the late teens to the early 50s, police said.

“I was shocked, I was speechless. ... People were screaming, crying,” said Long Xiong.

A bullet whizzed through 75-year-old Nhia Vang’s shirt.

He left the center in a borrowed blazer after police collected the shirt as evidence.

Vang was shaking and told reporters he was six feet away from the shooter, who opened fire after a toast.

A "person of interest" was taken into custody after being spotted from the police helicopter and a 40-caliber semi-automatic handgun was recovered, police said.

The suspects were arrested at 10:59 p.m. Boonmlee Lee was booked into the jail at 1:06 a.m., according to jail records. In addition to the five counts of shooting with intent to kill, he also faces complaints of possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. His bond was set at $390,000.

According to arrest reports, Tulsa police stopped a suspicious vehicle in which Meng Lee was the driver and Boonmlee Lee was a passenger a few block away from the event center. Officers in the Tulsa police helicopter detected a heat signature from a handgun that had  apparently been thrown into the grass near the vehicle, the report said.

The vehicle in which Boonmlee Lee was in was described by witnesses as leaving the scene moments after the shootings, according to the report.

In addition to the five counts of shooting with intent to kill, Meng Lee faces a complaint of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. His bond was set at $385,000.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:03 am »
IIRC, there was some serious violence in rural WI a few years back perpetrated by Hmong refugees/immigrants.

Anyone remember that?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 01:22:53 am »
[[ IIRC, there was some serious violence in rural WI a few years back perpetrated by Hmong refugees/immigrants.
Anyone remember that? ]]

Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember that being reported.

But keep in mind that all cultures are equal, right?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:22 am »
[[ IIRC, there was some serious violence in rural WI a few years back perpetrated by Hmong refugees/immigrants.
Anyone remember that? ]]

Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember that being reported.

But keep in mind that all cultures are equal, right?

Oh, yes indeed they are.....   /heavy sarcasm

The incident I'm thinking about was in 2004 and involved a Hmong man shooting at WI hunters, but I saw in a quick search that there has been a significant amount of violence in WI by Hmong gangs.

Of course, the leftists blame it all on the racism of whites (which I am not denying exists, btw), but it looks as though there's been a significant amount of violence in that immigrant community.

(And from the search, I also see they don't treat women very well either.  NO surprise there.  The only cultures who treat women well are those which have been influenced by the teachings of Jesus Christ, whose teachings about women were revolutionary).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:09:02 am »
I had forgotten about the WI incident, ML.  good reminder.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:03 am »
I had forgotten about the WI incident, ML.  good reminder.

It was just creepy enough for me to remember it.

The guy was on some kind of hunting platform, IIRC, shooting white hunters.

Of course the left blamed the hunters, but that made no sense.

I believe Hmong men have a tendency towards violence.

(Remember as well, that they had no written language, until I believe they came to America.  They were hill people - very backwards, very uneducated.  Therefore it MUST be our fault that they are violent................right??)

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:16:46 am »
It was just creepy enough for me to remember it.

The guy was on some kind of hunting platform, IIRC, shooting white hunters.

Of course the left blamed the hunters, but that made no sense.

I believe Hmong men have a tendency towards violence.

(Remember as well, that they had no written language, until I believe they came to America.  They were hill people - very backwards, very uneducated.  Therefore it MUST be our fault that they are violent................right??)

Isn't it always "our" fault when someone else hates us and our society? 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:19:28 am »
Isn't it always "our" fault when someone else hates us and our society?

100% of the time.