Author Topic: Remarkable 3D images of a foetus in a womb reveal how a baby's touching of its face is indicative of its physical and psychological development  (Read 1267 times)

Offline happyg

Researchers led by Durham University said touching different parts of face can indicate a baby's physical and psychological development in the womb
Scientists, also from Lancaster University, said babies could be ill if they are not able to anticipate touch by certain points of the pregnancy
The study is the first to demonatrate that foetuses can predict and not just react to touch and sheds more light on when a baby is ready to be born.

Babies learn how to anticipate touch while in the womb and how they touch their face and head can be an indicator of how well they are developing physically and psychologically before they are born.

For the first time, psychologists discovered that foetuses were able to predict, rather than react to, their own hand movements towards their mouths as they entered the later stages of gestation compared to earlier in a pregnancy.
The researchers believe their findings could improve understanding about babies, especially those born prematurely, their readiness to interact socially and their ability to calm themselves by sucking on their thumb or fingers.

Being able to predict, rather than just react to touch is a characteristic normally seen in the later stages of pregnancy. Here, a foetus can be seen opening its mouth before placing its hand inside at 32 weeks

They also said the results could also be a potential indicator of how prepared babies are for feeding.

Scientists believe anticipation is a key marker in a healthy baby’s development and it could be a sign of illness if babies don’t do it by certain points of the pregnancy.
 Only when the ability to anticipate touch and move with intention - for example opening the mouth to suck - has developed is a baby ready to leave the safety of the womb, they added.

The 32 week-old foetus begins by parting their lips in the anticipation of touching their mouth area with a limb (pictured left) then the foetus begins to stretch open its mouth (pictured right)

Psychologist Dr Nadja Reissland explained: 'Increased touching of the lower part of the face and mouth in foetuses could be an indicator of brain development necessary for healthy development, including preparedness for social interaction, self-soothing and feeding.'

The discovery comes after a previous study found babies make faces in the womb, potentially as practice before coming in to the world.

Dr Reissland and a team of researchers from Lancaster University and Durham University, which led the study, used '4D' ultrasound scans - 3D scans that can be seen in real time - to image eight girls and seven boys once a month between the 24th and 36th week of pregnancy.

Many more pictures at link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2448713/Remarkable-3D-images-touch-reflects-unborn-childs-development.html

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

I have long supported mandatory 3D ultrasound before a person can have an abortion and they have to look at it, take it home and look at it for 48 hours before they commit this act......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Liberal_Spy

I have long supported mandatory 3D ultrasound before a person can have an abortion and they have to look at it, take it home and look at it for 48 hours before they commit this act......

I don't support taking away a woman's right to an abortion, but I do kind of like your idea. A lot of women have abortions and secretly mourn the baby they never had for the rest of their lives. It might change their perspective to see their living baby and then have to decide.

Offline olde north church

This is how you fight abortion, not from the pulpit.  Religion holds no reality for people and abortions aren't being performed on those filling the pews, at least those who will admit.
The photo of the unborn reaching and holding the finger of the doctor would be another choice, photoshopped or not.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

This is how you fight abortion, not from the pulpit.  Religion holds no reality for people and abortions aren't being performed on those filling the pews, at least those who will admit.
The photo of the unborn reaching and holding the finger of the doctor would be another choice, photoshopped or not.

There is more than one way to fight the killing of the unborn under the false guise of "choice" for women.

But I agree that science/biology/technology is the most effective in a secular society.

Nothing like finding out the left has been lying through its collective teeth about the "tissue" inside you, by seeing your baby touch his or her face.

This is good stuff, and will save babies' lives.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.