Author Topic: Flesh eating drug ("krokodil") makes appearance in Joliet, Ill.  (Read 15163 times)

rangerrebew

Flesh eating drug ("krokodil") makes appearance in Joliet, Ill.
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:21:01 am »

Flesh-Eating Drug Makes Appearance In Joliet

Homemade heroin substitute "krokodil" originated in Russia and is now in U.S.

By Haley BeMiller

|  Thursday, Oct 10, 2013  |  Updated 6:09 PM CDT

Krokodil first became popular in Russia and now has made its way across the ocean and to a Chicago suburb.

Dr. Abhin Singla of Presence St. Joseph Medical Center said the Joliet facility this week treated three patients who said they used the drug known as "krokodil."

The substance is similar to morphine, Singla said, and possesses some of the same properties as methamphetamine. However, it's cheaper to obtain, and like meth, users can make it with codeine and everyday products such as gasoline and paint thinner.

Krokodil, which is the Russian word for crocodile, causes gangrene and abscesses on the user's body, Singla said, noting it has maimed his patients' arms and legs.

“It is a horrific way to get sick," he said. "The smell of rotten flesh permeates the room. Intensive treatment and skin grafts are required, but they often are not enough to save limbs or lives.”

Singla said some cases are so serious that muscles and bones become visible. The dead skin can also lead to infections that result in amputation or even death.

The drug can be injected or taken orally and has become a cheap alternative to heroin. Because of this, Singla said, these incidents might not mark the end of its use in Joliet.

“Will County’s already burgeoning heroin epidemic may have created a tolerance level to the point where users are now looking for cheaper and better highs,” he said.

Krokodil originated in Russia, but made its first U.S. appearance in Arizona at the end of September.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/health/Flesh-Eating-Drug-Makes-Appearance-In-Joliet-227124291.html#ixzz2hP4WNYv2

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Flesh eating drug ("krokodil") makes appearance in Joliet, Ill.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:25:39 am »
As a public service to both members and guests:

DO NOT GOOGLE THIS! The tamest pictures are horrific.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:39:40 pm »
Maybe someone will send some to Nazi Pelosi and Harry Reid. :patriot: :seeya:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »
Aren't there enough real drugs out there anymore?

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:42:57 pm »

That was a Dirty-Double-Dog-Dare, wasn't it?
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:45:08 pm »
So..............do I understand this right?

People are doing this to themselves on purpose??   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:08:06 am »
That was a Dirty-Double-Dog-Dare, wasn't it?

Would I do that to you?   :whistle:

So..............do I understand this right?

People are doing this to themselves on purpose??   **nononono*

Yep. Some people will do anything to escape, and junkies are not what you'd call good at long term planning.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 06:22:23 am »
Via HuffPo, so make of that what you will:

Krokodil Cases Being Investigated: DEA 'Very Concerned' Over Reports Of Flesh-Eating Drug (UPDATE)

DEA Statement:

“The DEA is very concerned about the recent news that several patients who were treated at Presence St. Joseph Medical Center in Joliet, [who] had symptoms consistent with the use of the drug Krokodil. Our agents and task force officers are on the street canvassing the area, and trying to track down any leads. We want to be pro-active and get out ahead of the curve on this, but until we can get our hands on the drugs and people who are trafficking in it, we won’t know the extent of what we’re dealing with. What we do know is that if this is Krokodil, it is extremely dangerous and we’re doing everything within our authority to stop it."

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/11/krokodil-not-threat-dea-flesh-eating-drug_n_4086107.html

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:26 am »
My intention is not to open a can of worms here, BUT, this kind of self-abuse is the result of drug prohibition.

I will now draw a warm bath and await the onslaught.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:12:53 am »
You have to be kidding. It's bad enough now, but once the Government get their mitts on it and start taxing? Have you seen the prices of the two legal addictive substances lately? I'm spending $20 per day on cigs already, I don't need the cost of the odd joint to skyrocket as well.  :laugh:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:32:46 am »
You are a gem ... See you Monday

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 12:17:49 pm »
You'd think so, wouldn't you? I'll pass on the paint thinner "high," thanks.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »

Drug addicts make and use this stuff because it gives a heroine like euphoria, but for a fraction of the cost. You can pretty easily make this stuff with cheap, everyday things you have laying around your house. The part where it causes necrosis doesn't matter to them, because for a drug addict all that matters is the here and now.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:20:15 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »

Yep. Some people will do anything to escape, and junkies are not what you'd call good at long term planning.

I guess you're right.

But even for a junkie, taking a drug that eats your flesh seems a bit beyond the proverbial pale......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 01:42:25 pm »
As a public service to both members and guests:

I just went to the link to watch the video, and the images aren't bad at all--this is a clip that went on a local TV  newscast.   The video itself is quite instructive--I would recommend everyone who is curious about this problem to watch it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 01:50:10 pm »
Okay, I couldn't stay away.

Exactly! You and the vast majority of people will pass on using any drug whether prohibited or not.

So, let's remove prohibition, institute treatment in it's place and empty overcrowded jails of nonviolent drug "criminals."

Savings and benefits to society will easily outstrip the current cost of funding an interdictive police state with it's infringements on liberty and other unintended consequences of prohibition—like flesh eating drugs.

This is how we stop these outbreaks of self abuse. Stop "hardening" non violent drug users by helping them make a better life rather than by making criminals of them. Drug abuse should be seen in the same light as other personality disorders. You wouldn't make it a crime to be obsessive-compulsive? Would you?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 02:03:26 pm »
I am going to agree and disagree, my friend. This applies to hard core addicts, not casual users.

It's a fairly open secret that I am an alcoholic. Different drug, same mechanism. Addiction isn't something that may be cured. Only controlled, and only if the sufferer wants to do so. Most, simply, do not. My friends at AA/NA say the same thing. The impulse is always there. Sometimes it sleeps for a while, but the bugger always wakes up again, usually at the worst possible time.

Now, should we criminalize drug users? I do not think so, unless they are an active danger to themselves and those around them. Will they consent to learn to control their addiction? Not until they are ready.

Casual users, the ones who can take it or leave it - who cares? Let them take the odd hit if it makes them feel better.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 03:25:10 pm »

You can actually get that one working for a living. LOL

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »
Drug addicts make and use this stuff because it gives a heroine like euphoria, but for a fraction of the cost. You can pretty easily make this stuff with cheap, everyday things you have laying around your house. The part where it causes necrosis doesn't matter to them, because for a drug addict all that matters is the here and now.

First impression is these people have more of a stainless steel addiction rather than an actual drug addiction.  Those that live for the rush, regardless of what's going into the vein.  For most of these there is no hope at all, not that there is a lot for the real drug users either.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 04:06:27 pm »

Exactly! You and the vast majority of people will pass on using any drug whether prohibited or not.

So, let's remove prohibition, institute treatment in it's place and empty overcrowded jails of nonviolent drug "criminals."

I completely agree with you. They have shown that the war on drugs has pretty much been a failure. When lots and lots of people want an illegal product, like pot, the demand for it simply goes up when they throw the dealers in prison. When the demand goes up, it makes the product more expensive, which makes it even more profitable to be a drug dealer. Once it becomes more profitable, more, new dealers are going to pop up all over the place and bring the demand back down. The only way you're going to kill the black market is to make what they are supplying legal and treat the problems it causes to the minority of people that are doing them whether it is legal or not.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 04:25:00 pm »
I completely agree with you. They have shown that the war on drugs has pretty much been a failure. When lots and lots of people want an illegal product, like pot, the demand for it simply goes up when they throw the dealers in prison. When the demand goes up, it makes the product more expensive, which makes it even more profitable to be a drug dealer. Once it becomes more profitable, more, new dealers are going to pop up all over the place and bring the demand back down. The only way you're going to kill the black market is to make what they are supplying legal and treat the problems it causes to the minority of people that are doing them whether it is legal or not.

And legalizing alcohol and tobacco has accomplished what besides feeding the government coffers?  Don't both of those rank pretty high on the cause of death lists in the US?

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
And legalizing alcohol and tobacco has accomplished what besides feeding the government coffers?  Don't both of those rank pretty high on the cause of death lists in the US?

Well, the organized crime gangs that made all of their money off selling booze illegally went away. Also, saying alcohol and tobacco are bad for you but still legal is not a justification for keeping drugs that are not as bad for you as those illegal.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:48:44 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 05:44:21 pm »
Well, the organized crime gangs that made all of their money off selling booze illegally went away. Also, saying alcohol and tobacco are bad for you but still legal is not a justification for keeping drugs that are not as bad for you as those illegal.

There is no such thing as a safe drug, they all cause problems.  Pot is always touted as being "safer" than alcohol.  I think much of that is purely a numbers game anyway since there are far more drinkers than pot smokers.  Pot is often labeled as 'natural', well, so are poppies, coca, mushrooms, peyote, hell a good southern sour mash starts with corn.

Don't know what the solution is but legalizing is not really viable.  We don't need another version of Switzerland's Needle Park in this county.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 05:53:22 pm »
There is no such thing as a safe drug, they all cause problems.  Pot is always touted as being "safer" than alcohol.  I think much of that is purely a numbers game anyway since there are far more drinkers than pot smokers.  Pot is often labeled as 'natural', well, so are poppies, coca, mushrooms, peyote, hell a good southern sour mash starts with corn.

Don't know what the solution is but legalizing is not really viable.  We don't need another version of Switzerland's Needle Park in this county.

It's impossible to overdose on pot. There is not a single recorded death that was solely caused my marijuana use. It has been proven that it doesn't actually cause cancer, and it has also been proven that it does not actually cause any kind of brain damage. They can even make breathalyzers to test for it. Alcohol and tobacco use are among the leading causes of death in the United States. It's not even close, not by a long shot. As far as pot in particular goes, it is not even remotely close to as bad as tobacco or alcohol.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 06:06:44 pm »

Legalizing drugs will make their use even more wide spread and acceptable.

Do we really want younger and younger kids, and more and more people on hard drugs?

You're right.

NOT a viable solution.