Author Topic: Shot by the Taliban a year ago, Malala is a favorite for the Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 1525 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/11/world/europe/nobel-peace-prize-speculation-malala/index.html

(CNN) -- At 16, Malala Yousafzai would be the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, if she is awarded it Friday. In addition, she would be the youngest winner ever of a Nobel Prize in any category.

The activist from Pakistan, who has stood defiant against the Taliban in the face of death since age 11, has become a global figurehead for a girl's right to get an education.

A year ago an Islamist militant shot her in the head. It looked like she would die. Now, headlines are cheering for her to win the peace prize.

If she does, she will feel extremely honored, she told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in a taped interview that will air Sunday at 7 p.m.

The prize would give momentum to Malala's lifetime task she has laid out for herself -- to make education available to every child around the world.

But she is modest about her prospects. She feels that giving her the prize at this point might be a little premature and more appropriate further down her life's path. She wants to work for it first.

"I think that it's really an early age. And I would feel proud, when I would work for education, when I would have done something, when I would be feeling confident to tell people, 'Yes! I have built that school; I have done that teachers' training, I have sent that (many) children to school,'" she said.

"Then if I get the Nobel Peace Prize, I will be saying, Yeah, I deserve it, somehow."

The comment drew warm laughter from the audience.

More at link.

No one deserves it more. If she doesn't win, give her Obama's.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Terrific.  **nononono*

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 2m

'Weapons Watchdog Wins Nobel Peace Prize' http://news.sky.com/story/1153077/weapons-watchdog-wins-nobel-peace-prize

Offline happyg

Malala deserved it, but the committee was afraid to insult the Taliban.

Offline GourmetDan

Malala deserved it, but the committee was afraid to insult the Taliban.

I guess they didn't want to be found on the street with a butcher-knife in their chest...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline happyg

I guess they didn't want to be found on the street with a butcher-knife in their chest...

In their chest, back, arms, legs, crotch, head...

Liberal_Spy

In their chest, back, arms, legs, crotch, head...

Maybe even a separate knife for each one.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not their style. They don't waste blades.

Liberal_Spy

Not their style. They don't waste blades.

They sure do waste explosives. Those guys can't aim a mortar round to save their lives.

Offline NavyCanDo

She truly is the "Rosa Parks" for the struggle of women's rights in the Muslim world. Can she make a difference and be the spark needed for the reformation of the Muslim religion, only time will tell. If reformation does come  it will be very very slow coming, and there will be much blood left to shed.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Liberal_Spy

She truly is the "Rosa Parks" for the struggle of women's rights in the Muslim world. Can she make a difference and be the spark needed for the reformation of the Muslim religion, only time will tell. If reformation does come  it will be very very slow coming, and there will be much blood left to shed.

It's already starting to happen. Saudi Arabia was recently trying to pass something that would criminally charge men that beat their wives. It seems like that should be common sense, but at least it is progress.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Saudi Arabia won't do that. Jordan has. Dubai has.