Author Topic: BREAKING: Obama Rejects GOP’s Proposal For Short-Term Debt Limit Hike…  (Read 1017 times)

famousdayandyear

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/10/10/report-obama-rejects-gops-proposal-for-short-term-debt-limit-plan/

BREAKING: Obama Rejects GOP’s Proposal For Short-Term Debt Limit Hike…

Woah.

Update: And if we default it will still be the GOP’s fault, that much you can be sure of.

WASHINGTON – President Obama on Thursday rejected a proposal from politically besieged House Republican leaders to extend the nation’s borrowing authority for six weeks because it would not also reopen the government. Yet both parties saw it as the first break in Republicans’ brinkmanship and a step toward a fiscal truce.

Twenty Republicans, led by Speaker John A. Boehner, went to the White House at Mr. Obama’s invitation after a day of fine-tuning their offer to increase the Treasury Department’s authority to borrow money to pay existing obligations through Nov. 22. In exchange, they sought the president’s commitment to negotiate a deal for long-term deficit reduction and a tax overhaul.

Mr. Boehner and his colleagues left after about an hour and a half without speaking to waiting reporters.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Of course he did.  He wants a default.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online Right_in_Virginia

Fox is reporting that Obama didn't reject this out of hand....but insists on an end to the shutdown.

I pray the Republicans can hold the line.   :0001:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Of course he did.  He wants a default.
He wants an albatross around the neck of the GOP for the 2014 midterm elections. He will be talking about this shutdown, from now until the elections, regardless of the outcome from now forward.

He wanted to do far more to "transform" America, but got stopped cold by the 2010 midterm victory, gaining a GOP majority in the House.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

When he said he wouldn't negotiate, it may have been the first time in his life he actually meant what he said.

Edit:  I take that back. He really did mean it when he said he'd transform America. We're being transformed into a Third World country.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:06:34 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Liberal_Spy

He wants an albatross around the neck of the GOP for the 2014 midterm elections. He will be talking about this shutdown, from now until the elections, regardless of the outcome from now forward.

He wanted to do far more to "transform" America, but got stopped cold by the 2010 midterm victory, gaining a GOP majority in the House.

You are 100% correct. You guys are not going to hear the end of this when elections roll around.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:57:41 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Online Right_in_Virginia

And that's exactly why Sparky used the IRS to shut down the Tea Party in 2012.

Let's not let that happen again!!

Online kevindavis007

This is why I was against this shutdown to begin with. I think we may come out of this unscathed.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rapunzel

This is why I was against this shutdown to begin with. I think we may come out of this unscathed.

Doesn't make sense.  If you think we will come out of this unscathed (which we will if Boehner holds the line) and Obama comes out looking even worse than ever - why is your having been against it a good thing?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776