Author Topic: Carney: Spiteful Tea Party 'Doing Harm to the Republican Party'  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Carney: Spiteful Tea Party 'Doing Harm to the Republican Party'
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:32 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/10/Carney-tea-Party

Carney: Spiteful Tea Party 'Doing Harm to the Republican Party'

by Ben Shapiro 10 Oct 2013, 10:18 AM PDT

On Thursday, White House press secretary Jay Carney launched into an attack on the Tea Party, suggesting that conservatives were thwarting the will of the people and perverting House leadership on the debt ceiling issue and the government shutdown. “We should put everything on the table,” Carney said. “But what we cannot continue to do is punish the American people which is what the Tea Party Republicans are doing in the name of trying to extract partisan demands.”

Carney added, “The president has always said he will talk about anything. What he won’t do is pay a ransom…in exchange for Congress doing its fundamental job.” He continued by blaming the Tea Party, saying, “the Tea Party can’t get what it wants through normal legislative means or the ballot box.”

Over and over again, Carney blamed what he called the Tea Party subsection of the Republican Party for the current shutdown situation, despite the administration’s unwillingness to pass any piecemeal budgeting for particular portions of the government. “It’s spite, it’s deliberate harm to average folks out there,” he said of the Tea Party’s insistence on Obamacare changes. “They’re doing harm to the America people, they’re doing harm to the American economy, and they’re doing harm to the Republican Party, which by all accounts is bad for America,” Carney said, saying the country benefits from two strong parties working together, and ripping “one faction of one house of one branch of government.”

Ben Shapiro is Editor-At-Large of Breitbart News and author of the New York Times bestseller “Bullies: How the Left’s Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences America” (Threshold Editions, January 8, 2013).
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Liberal_Spy

Re: Carney: Spiteful Tea Party 'Doing Harm to the Republican Party'
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
I don't foresee Obama budging on this at all. He knows the public is mostly blaming the house Republicans, so no matter how bad it gets it will be worse for the Republicans. Worst case scenario as he sees it is probably that we default, the economy gets messed up for a while, and blame and hatred towards the house Republicans will lead to a majority for Democrats in the house. At this point I think the Republicans should cut their losses, but we'll see what happens.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:24:19 pm »
I don't foresee Obama budging on this at all. He knows the public is mostly blaming the house Republicans, so no matter how bad it gets it will be worse for the Republicans. Worst case scenario as he sees it is probably that we default, the economy gets messed up for a while, and blame and hatred towards the house Republicans will lead to a majority for Democrats in the house. At this point I think the Republicans should cut their losses, but we'll see what happens.

You must have missed the part where his polling numbers have tanked.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:26:04 pm »
You must have missed the part where his polling numbers have tanked.

His approval is down for sure, but majority blame for this situation is still going to the house Republicans. Public opinion is that they are both at fault, but the house is more at fault. That's a win in the eyes of Democrats.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:30:33 pm »
Repub's numbers are always low, we are used to it...Obama isn't!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »

I guess my thought process was that if Republicans don't want to lose the house to the Democrats they should urge congress to end this and cut their losses. It won't be worth it for Republicans if 2016 rolls around and our government is blue across the board.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:34:26 pm »
The Democrats are bound and determined to turn "Tea Party" into an epithet. It's high time that its members remind them that they are common citizens. Thus, by attacking the "Tea Party" they are attacking normal, everyday people whose only crime is caring about the direction of the republic.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:34:33 pm »
I guess my thought process was that if Republicans don't want to lose the house to the Democrats they should urge congress to end this and cut their losses. It won't be worth it for Republicans if 2016 rolls around and our government is blue across the board.

GOP isn't going to lose the house. Obama hopes they will.. but that isn't going to happen.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:35:08 pm »

True enough!

Because the left is always lying about us in order to hurt us, and they're always lying about Obama to protect him from the wrath of Americans who still don't know the truth about him.

The best thing about this shutdown, no matter who leftists say is to blame, is that it's making Obama look really, really bad.

And that's perhaps the best thing that can happen right now in America.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:23 pm »

Did you considered Democrat_Spy or would that have been too obvious

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:09 pm »
The Democrats are bound and determined to turn "Tea Party" into an epithet. It's high time that its members remind them that they are common citizens. Thus, by attacking the "Tea Party" they are attacking normal, everyday people whose only crime is caring about the direction of the republic.

That's exactly what they are doing.

By attacking the Tea Party, they're attacking American citizens who care enough about our country to stand up and be counted.

It may be working right now, but with this Obamacare fiasco, and people finding out how rotten it really is, some people are starting to wake up.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:24 pm »

I'm not a democrat, and this is off topic.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
GOP isn't going to lose the house. Obama hopes they will.. but that isn't going to happen.

Wishful thinking for a young leftist.

You're right.  It's not going to happen, and possibly will help us gain seats in the House AND the Senate.

Courage has a way of resulting in good things.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 10:39:57 pm »

Never say never. If we actually default on our debt and the economy does take a big hit, house Republicans are going to take most of the flak for that. Considering that polls show the house is taking most of the blame already, that frustration will only be amplified if the economy takes a hit. I guarantee the Democrats would beat that horse until it was unrecognizable come election time.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 10:40:49 pm »

He claims he's not a Democrat, but rather a radical leftist.

That's OH, so much better, you know.....      :whistle:

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:46:24 pm »
I'm not a democrat, and this is off topic.

Would the observation that your advise is right in line with Carney's also be off target?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
Wishful thinking and head buried in the sand doesn't change facts and the fact is how this country is districted right now is a negative for liberals in congress.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:52 pm »
Never say never. If we actually default on our debt and the economy does take a big hit, house Republicans are going to take most of the flak for that. Considering that polls show the house is taking most of the blame already, that frustration will only be amplified if the economy takes a hit. I guarantee the Democrats would beat that horse until it was unrecognizable come election time.

First, stop with the nonsense.  The US is not going to default.  Period.

Second, your "thoughtful" presentation of how Democrats are going to win the day forgets that in 2014 Obamacare will be in full bloom.

I predict the American electorate will carry Republicans to Congress on their shoulders.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »
First, stop with the nonsense.  The US is not going to default.  Period.

Second, your "thoughtful" presentation of how Democrats are going to win the day forgets that in 2014 Obamacare will be in full bloom.

I predict the American electorate will carry Republicans to Congress on their shoulders.

I hope you're right about defaulting. The deadline is getting close, though. Something needs to happen soon.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:00 pm »
I hope you're right about defaulting. The deadline is getting close, though. Something needs to happen soon.

We are not going to default because we take in the money we need to cover the debts, this is about spending MORE money than we take in.  Sleigh of hand, just as sequester was - sequester did not cut prior spending it was a small cut to future spending.

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 11:21:14 pm »

No worries.  I'm right about both points.

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:04 pm »

Even if the deadline is missed .... surely you know we must pay our debt first.  So where's the default?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 11:59:56 pm »
It always gives me the warm and fuzzies when the likes of Jay Carney intone their worries over the health of the republican party! / sarc
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 12:09:23 am »
As far as the debt ceiling: consider that, as of right now, there is no budget explicitly authorizing funding for the government. Everything that is operating now is operating under one of two provisions: protecting life and property or "mandatory spending."

Basically, if there is no budget, when the debt ceiling comes, all that means is that it will have to spend only what it takes in, or else sell assets to cover the difference. Since, as it stands now, there is nothing explicitly being budgeted, that means almost anything could theoretically be frozen.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 12:28:39 am »

No offense intended, but all of the observations thus far in this thread, while astute and interesting, completely miss the elephant in the room.  Any time Democrats start counseling the Republicans on how to avoid destroying the Republican party you can rest assured that they are not saying what they believe, they are saying what they want to believe and what they want any wavering Republicans to believe.  They only do this when they know that the voters do not favor their position on a given subject.  It is an attempt to make Republicans question their support for their current strategy.

Is it coincidental that as soon as the polls were released indicating that the president's approval rating is at its lowest point, the Dems start worrying about the Republican party destroying itself?  It's their only hope.  At 37% approval rating, the president's ability to move their cause forward is quite diminished.  They know that Obamacare is not sitting well with the public, and especially with the young, and they need to weaken the Republicans from the inside because it's becoming more difficult to defeat them from the outside.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".