Author Topic: Jake Tapper on media bias: ‘a lot of’ reporters have never fired a gun, worked 9 to 5  (Read 1362 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/09/jake-tapper-on-media-bias-most-reporters-have-never-fired-a-gun-worked-9-to-5/

Jake Tapper on media bias: ‘a lot of’ reporters have never fired a gun, worked 9 to 5
3:45 PM 10/09/2013

Award-winning journalist and author Jake Tapper says most reporters’ bias comes from being out of touch.

In an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Reddit today, Tapper wrote:

“I think there are a lot of hard-working reporters in NYC and DC who have never fired a gun, or never worked a 9-5 manual labor job, or lived in the middle of the country, or worried about their next paycheck, or have anyone in their family who serves in the military and I think that creates a cultural bias. But I also think there are a lot of reporters who work to counter that and understand the limitations of their own realities. But yes, I do think there is bias. Reluctant to name names though because I try to be collegial.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

That is indeed an interesting observation but I think the major factors which have crippled political reporting in this country was first Watergate and secondly the political biases present in our journalism schools. The former because the work of Woodward and Bernstein made a number of people think they could improve the world by becoming reporters. Not report on it, but improve it. Such people were already geared up to become missionaries of their idea of the good were then incubated in the Liberal viewpoint present in most schools of journalism. In addition, most of their role models in the media were Liberals (look no further than the major networks).

Most of the Conservatives and Libertarians I met in college came out of the sciences, engineering, and political science. I never met a Conservative journalism student and the student newspaper at my college was dominated by Libs.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That is indeed an interesting observation but I think the major factors which have crippled political reporting in this country was first Watergate and secondly the political biases present in our journalism schools. The former because the work of Woodward and Bernstein made a number of people think they could improve the world by becoming reporters. Not report on it, but improve it. Such people were already geared up to become missionaries of their idea of the good were then incubated in the Liberal viewpoint present in most schools of journalism. In addition, most of their role models in the media were Liberals (look no further than the major networks).

Most of the Conservatives and Libertarians I met in college came out of the sciences, engineering, and political science. I never met a Conservative journalism student and the student newspaper at my college was dominated by Libs.

One night, probably in 1880, John Swinton, then the preeminent New York journalist, was the guest of honour at a banquet given him by the leaders of his craft. Someone who knew neither the press nor Swinton offered a toast to the independent press. Swinton outraged his colleagues by replying:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.
You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?
We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

Source: Labor's Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

Less than 20% of our reps in DC have served in the military.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

Less than 20% of our reps in DC have served in the military.

Very few Americans have ever served in the military.  I'm not sure this is relevant to anything.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GourmetDan

Jake Tapper on media bias: ‘a lot of’ reporters have never fired a gun...

Means nothing to true hypocrites...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:09:46 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

famousdayandyear

Service in the military is highly relevant to the development of skills necessary in a law abiding, civil society. 

Among them:  Discipline, Honorable Behavior, Respect, Personal Sacrifice-- as well as other qualities and values.

Qualities sorely lacking in much of Congress (and IMO the culture at large).