Author Topic: 'OPEC obsolete' if Keystone pipeline OK'd: Pickens  (Read 1410 times)

Offline happyg

'OPEC obsolete' if Keystone pipeline OK'd: Pickens
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:09:11 pm »
The proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada to the U.S. would make "OPEC obsolete," billionaire energy entrepreneur T. Boone Pickens told CNBC on Wednesday.

"Canadians say they have 250 billion barrels [of oil]. That's exactly what the Saudis claim they have," he said in a "Squawk Box" interview. "You're sitting there with the same amount of oil available to the United States from Canada … as Saudi Arabia."

"But when you move the oil through the Strait of Hormuz everyday, it's 17 million barrels," Pickens said. "The Navy is shepherding a cartel daily through the Strait of Hormuz. And then to China and Europe, and we get 10 percent of it."

Since the pipeline by TransCanada would run from Alberta province through the U.S. to the Gulf of Mexico, it needs approval by President Barack Obama, who has faced intense lobbying from environmental groups against the project.

Last week, the Energy Information Administration estimated that the U.S. will be the top producer of oil and natural gas in 2013, surpassing Russia and Saudi Arabia.

In advocating for the Keystone pipeline, Pickens said, "What you should do is put Canada, Mexico, and the United States together."

Canada doesn't need help from the U.S., but Mexico does, he added. "You could give Mexico a great deal of help, money. You could loan them money. You get a call on the oil. They repay the debt."

—By CNBC's Matthew J. Belvedere

Video at link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101098969#_gus
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:09:44 pm by happyg »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: 'OPEC obsolete' if Keystone pipeline OK'd: Pickens
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:31:08 pm »
We should have this pipeline, for our national security.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »
We should have this pipeline, for our national security.

Warren Buffett is making too much money off transporting it by train for O to sign it. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:00:56 pm »
Like the democrats assuring the people of West Virginia they were not anti-coal before the election, then after the election shutting down West Virginia's coal industry.  The democrats BITCH SLAPPED Wisconsin for helping Biden to beat Trump then shut down Wisconsins XL pipeline immediately after the election.  Think of how many liberal morons will bawl their eyes out at the increasing higher prices of fuel, the increasing loss of jobs (and the thousands of people in Wisconsin instantly out of work in very high paying jobs, Canadians too).  The out of work  workers can vie for jobs with the thousands of South of the Border foreigners coming here to compete and take whatever jobs are left.
  The damn fools Utopians won again, stand up, step forward, and be proud !  We certainly have them here!  Remember, all that matters is Trump got defeated!  That's all that matters, now go jobless and hungry useful fools. 
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:22:49 pm »
T Boon Pickens also said oil would never go below $100 a barrel.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 12:59:34 am »
T Boon Pickens also said oil would never go below $100 a barrel.
Don't know where you got that fairy tale.

Listen to the man himself just 5 years ago.

Not even T. Boone Pickens, the quintessential oil man, thinks oil is returning to $100 a barrel any time soon.
Sure, oil prices have staged a remarkable comeback in recent weeks after crashing to a 13-year low of $26 a barrel in February.

"It'll be a long time until $100 oil returns," Pickens told CNNMoney. He said oil could end 2016 at $50 to $60 a barrel but won't return to triple-digit territory until 2020 -- or later.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/04/27/investing/boone-pickens-oil-prices-100-dollars/index.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 01:18:09 am »
Don't know where you got that fairy tale.

@IsailedawayfromFR @Restored

T Boone said a lot of things.

T. Boone Pickens: ‘I think you’re looking at $100-plus for oil forever’
https://www.ccjdigital.com/business/article/14931308/t-boone-pickens-i-think-youre-looking-at-100-plus-for-oil-forever
May 05, 2015

...“If natural gas doubled to $6, it would increase your fuel cost 37 cents a gallon,” he says. “$100 oil in parity with natural gas is $16, and I’ve never seen $16.”

“I have said that in my lifetime, I don’t think I’ll ever see $10 natural gas again,” he says, “but I do think we may see $8. I think you’re looking at $100-plus for oil forever.”...

and less than a year later:

Even T. Boone Pickens doesn't see $100 oil
https://money.cnn.com/2016/04/27/investing/boone-pickens-oil-prices-100-dollars/index.html
April 27, 2016

..."It'll be a long time until $100 oil returns," Pickens told CNNMoney. He said oil could end 2016 at $50 to $60 a barrel but won't return to triple-digit territory until 2020 -- or later....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 01:26:28 am »
T-Bone was a self promoter. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 02:02:35 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR @Restored

T Boone said a lot of things.

T. Boone Pickens: ‘I think you’re looking at $100-plus for oil forever’
https://www.ccjdigital.com/business/article/14931308/t-boone-pickens-i-think-youre-looking-at-100-plus-for-oil-forever
May 05, 2015

...“If natural gas doubled to $6, it would increase your fuel cost 37 cents a gallon,” he says. “$100 oil in parity with natural gas is $16, and I’ve never seen $16.”

“I have said that in my lifetime, I don’t think I’ll ever see $10 natural gas again,” he says, “but I do think we may see $8. I think you’re looking at $100-plus for oil forever.”...

I would not necessarily trust what he was supposed to have said.

I found another article that reported on the event and it said his quote was

Looking out five to 10 years, “things get a bit fuzzier,” Pickens said, “but I think we’re looking at $100 plus [per barrel] forever after.” https://www.fleetowner.com/news/article/21690665/pickens-predicts-natural-gas-will-retain-price-advantage

The quote you posted appears to be out of context.

There is a video of the event but I did not check it to see if a faithful rendition was made by either quote.

Always trust the last thing he said then, which is the 2016 video I posted which is undeniable.

BTW, I have consistently said for years that oil resources will be considerably shrunkened during this decade, causing a great rise in crude prices. Means I believe he was correct in what he said, just a bit later than he thought.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:05:45 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 02:06:16 am »
I read he was a promoter of cowboys, really.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 06:04:02 am »
Years ago with fracking and the findings of massive oil reserves in America making America independent of world oil.  Our lower prices to cause many democrats to fume and foam at the mouth, the evil President Trump made the artificial prices of world oil collusion's fail.  With Biden's globalist buddies we see energy prices ready to take off alike a titan missile.  Fools wanted Trump defeated, now we are back in the groove of economic devastation Obama brought in 8 years of utopia.  Fools hate to be denied, they hate to get their way too.  They are what they are, and they forced their stupidity upon us.  Look how hateful and angry the democrats are upon getting both houses, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court!  Filled with hate, blowing it fiercely like a dragon of old.  How does that compare to the fools paradise the fools were sure was going to happen and promoted?  Realization didn't even take a week.  Commies sure know how to utilize our fools against us.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:54:06 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 02:45:07 pm »
And a lousy businessman. He made billions only to lose billions just as quickly.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 03:33:43 pm »
And a lousy businessman. He made billions only to lose billions just as quickly.
Guess the largest college gift in history to OSU was just a myth to some.

And I thought I saw a pretty stadium there.  Must have been a mirage.

Offline mikezpen

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 03:43:47 pm »
OPEC, thanks to the Moron-in-Chief, is now relevant again.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 03:49:44 pm »

Even worse, with the loss of energy independence, is the potential of losing more of our military needlessly.  Their blood will now be on Biden's hands.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 01:46:10 am »
Maybe we should adopt the moniker MIC when we talk about him,