Author Topic: Krauthammer: Obama administration using shutdown ‘to punish’ American people  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Olivia

Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer believes that during the partial government shutdown, the bureaucracy in Washington demonstrated its willingness to punish citizens when it does not get its way.
------
“The administration is using anything it doesn’t like as a way to punish the American people,” he continued. “But there’s a larger issue here. And that is, as the state becomes larger and larger, the bureaucracy becomes stronger and more arrogant and independent. It believes in it so, and after all, it regulates. That’s what it does. And it becomes punitive, in the sense it says, ‘Listen, you want to hold up the government. We’re going to show you who’s in charge. We’re going to shut down all the monuments, you know. And if we don’t get a blank check, we’re going to do x, y and z.”

The political left wins the war of the language with terms like “clean C.R.” Republicans, Krauthammer suggested, should use language like “blank check” to counter it.

“And incidentally, on the question of language, the liberals always seize the dictionary here,” he said. “When we talk about a clean C.R., well, that sounds nice — it’s clean, right? And the Republicans want a dirty C.R., continuing resolution. I would say what Republicans are asking for is to deny the administration a blank check. That’s what the Democrats and the bureaucracy are demanding. So it would be nice if we could undo that language where all of stuff the Democrats are asking for is inherently good — after all, clean is good. But blank check is a bad idea.”

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/09/krauthammer-obama-administration-using-shutdown-to-punish-american-people-video/
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Rapunzel

Sure didn't stop him from having an off the record sit down with POTUS and the grinning like a Cheshire cat over it, when a honest journalist would have refused to go off record.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Relic

Sure didn't stop him from having an off the record sit down with POTUS and the grinning like a Cheshire cat over it, when a honest journalist would have refused to go off record.

Let's not shoot the messenger. I know Krauthammer isn't a rock solid conservative, but he is often reasonable and insightful.

I'm sorry, but your post elicits visions of FR style conservative purity tests. I doubt that was your intention, I'm not attacking you, just telling you how it comes across to me.

Offline Olivia

I disagree with CK more than I agree with him.  He is very critical of the conservative wing of the republican party and falls into the Karl Rove group.

I also agree with Rapunzel that he didn't refuse the "off the record" meeting which is what I would have thought he would do.   Of course, none of the others did either so there you go.

On the other hand, my disgust of Obama is probably clouding my opinion. 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Rapunzel

I disagree with CK more than I agree with him.  He is very critical of the conservative wing of the republican party and falls into the Karl Rove group.

I also agree with Rapunzel that he didn't refuse the "off the record" meeting which is what I would have thought he would do.   Of course, none of the others did either so there you go.

On the other hand, my disgust of Obama is probably clouding my opinion.

Exactly.  Meet with Obama - but transparency is the word as far as I am concerned - be it journalists or Boehner.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776