Author Topic: Obamacare website resets all passwords  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Obamacare website resets all passwords
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:05 am »
More problems.  88finger point

The president’s much touted health care plan continues to be plagued by embarrassing technical glitches, despite three years of preparation, the latest being where they are now resetting individual passwords.

In the days and weeks prior to the healthcare exchange going live on Oct. 1, president Obama consistently and adamantly insisted that the website would be ready to go and be up and running by the deadline. Critics across the industry attempted to sound the warning that despite the president’s proclamations, the websites were not ready to go and should not go live; however the president brushed aside their concerns.

Since that day, the website has become a nightmare for the administration as well as those attempting to use it. Individual attempting to log on frequently complain about it taking hours to merely create an account. The administration attempted to downplay these reports by saying it was due to the fault of the American people by too many people trying to log on at once.

However, critics pointed out that the administration had three years to get the system up and running and nearly unlimited taxpayer dollars to get it right. Over the weekend, officials said if the traffic to the site were reduced the system works just fine. In an attempt to resolve these issues the government brought the site down over the weekend, however it appears their fixes only made this problem worse.

It is now being reported that registrants are having to contact phone support after learning that all user passwords are being reset as part of a process to help resolve login issues with the site. Additionally, tech support is apparently telling some registrants they will have to completely reregister under a new username because their previously chosen names are stuck in a type of authentication limbo.

If the website problems persist, which all indications suggest that they will, into the near future it could prove extremely problematic for the Obama administration. While much has been focused on the public relations aspect of the failure of the site to meet expectations set by the president himself, there are real world practical considerations vital to the future of the law itself to be considered.
[emphasis added with great glee]

http://usfinancepost.com/obamacare-website-resets-all-passwords-8223.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Liberal_Spy

Re: Obamacare website resets all passwords
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:20 am »
The website will probably have quite a few technical issues in the time to come. Lots of people trying to use the service all at once is going to bog the website down a lot.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:12 am »
The website will probably have quite a few technical issues in the time to come. Lots of people trying to use the service all at once is going to bog the website down a lot.

err....like Lady Gaga said:  "It was BORN THAT WAY"

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:32:58 am »

A lot of big businesses would simply not accept the poor quality which is now routinely accepted and defended by this government.

This administration is amateur.

Where is the transparency? Remarks from systems people, to the user-public?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:25 am »
err....like Lady Gaga said:  "It was BORN THAT WAY"

I'm not familiar with much of what Lady Gaga says.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:35:30 am »

System load is the least of the problems with a $600 million site.  http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/obamacare-healthcare-gov-website-cost/

They've already said that hardware has been added to handle the load but it hasn't helped.

I work in the website business.  I know a guy who has a single ecommerce server that handles 1 million requests per day, and he's what's considered small-time. 

Network bandwidth and web server capacity are the easiest things to augment if a site is designed properly.  This site is not designed properly.

Wanna know what's worse than the current debacle?  When a website is built, security is almost always an afterthought, compared to the attention paid to getting the site features working.  If the site sucks this bad, I can only imagine how bad the security is.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:37:09 am »
Some have already found out how bad the security is... and in addition to the poor security how about all the additional data they are gathering in these signups to send over to the IRS and heaven knows who else.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:37:20 am »
System load is the least of the problems with a $600 million site.  http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/obamacare-healthcare-gov-website-cost/

They've already said that hardware has been added to handle the load but it hasn't helped.

I work in the website business.  I know a guy who has a single ecommerce server that handles 1 million requests per day, and he's what's considered small-time. 

Network bandwidth and web server capacity are the easiest things to augment if a site is designed properly.  This site is not designed properly.

Wanna know what's worse than the current debacle?  When a website is built, security is almost always an afterthought, compared to the attention paid to getting the site features working.  If the site sucks this bad, I can only imagine how bad the security is.

I want to know how it costs over half a billion dollars to design a website.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:01 am »

Uh huh, L_S, only thing is they had THREE years to get it right, spent $630 MILLION to get it wrong ( http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,115869.0.html ), and have received strong criticism by experts on how poorly the site is structured ( http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,115581.msg465715.html#msg465715 ).

So I'm afraid the talking points of too many people trying to log on at once and the bugs to be expected 'cause it's new is not going to fly.

Accept it for what it is: a major blunder due to poor planning.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:18 am »

Uh huh, L_S, only thing is they had THREE years to get it right, spent $630 MILLION to get it wrong ( http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,115869.0.html ), and have received strong criticism by experts on how poorly the site is structured ( http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,115581.msg465715.html#msg465715 ).

So I'm afraid the talking points of too many people trying to log on at once and the bugs to be expected 'cause it's new is not going to fly.

Accept it for what it is: a major blunder due to poor planning.

I think the amount of money spent on that website is obscene. The planning for this was definitely not what it should have been, especially considering the money spent. For that much money you should have been able to hire a team of the best designers on the planet to create a website so beautiful it brings a tear to your eye.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:20 am »
I want to know how it costs over half a billion dollars to design a website.

Agreed.  You can get mid- to senior-level developers for $100k in most cities outside of California.  For $200 million a year, the services of 2000 quality software developers could have been purchased for the last 3 years.  It's not as simple as this, of course.  A baby can't be born in 1 month if 9 women are assigned to the task, for example.   :-)  However, there's no reason this thing should have cost so much.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:32 am »
No offense lib, but liberals love to waste tax payer money - especially if they get a lot of it back in kickbacks.  Look at what Colorado just 1.5M for .. anyone on this site could have done better than this for almost nothing!

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/01/check-out-colorados-new-1-5m-clip-art-logo/

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 12:52:55 am »
For that much money you should have been able to hire a team of the best designers on the planet to create a website so beautiful it brings a tear to your eye.

To be sure, L_S, but the hitch here is that this was a government project so therefore it will cost too much and probably won't do what it is supposed to do.

That is true of almost governmental endeavors and is one of the things that separates Conservatives (like me) from Liberals (like you). Liberals, at least theoretically, prefer government solutions and control, even though historically it can be seen the private sector almost always does a better job at lower cost. This is but one instance.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:01:11 am »
For that much money you should have been able to hire a team of the best designers on the planet to create a website so beautiful it brings a tear to your eye.

To be sure, L_S, but the hitch here is that this was a government project so therefore it will cost too much and probably won't do what it is supposed to do.

That is true of almost governmental endeavors and is one of the things that separates Conservatives (like me) from Liberals (like you). Liberals, at least theoretically, prefer government solutions and control, even though historically it can be seen the private sector almost always does a better job at lower cost. This is but one instance.

Where I differ from a lot of liberals is I actually do support the shrinking of the government and being frugal with money wherever it is beneficial to do so. I am pro guns and am completely against any movement towards restricting our access to them. Where I differ from Republicans is I do not support cutting government where it involves helping people. When minimum wage is so low that a parent working full time can't support their kids, that's a problem, and I support that person getting food stamps so their family can survive. I feel a better solution would to get our economy out of the trash can so so many Americans don't NEED all that government assistance just to get by, but that seems to be a less and less tangible dream.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:02:29 am by Liberal_Spy »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 02:02:06 am »
Where I differ from a lot of liberals is I actually do support the shrinking of the government where ever I feel it is beneficial to do so. I am pro guns and am completely against any movement towards restricting our access to them. Where I differ from Republicans is I do not support cutting government where it involves helping people. When minimum wage is so low that a parent working full time can't support their kids, that's a problem, and I support that person getting food stamps so their family can survive. I feel a better solution would to get our economy out of the trash can so so many Americans don't NEED all that government assistance just to get by, but that seems to be a less and less tangible dream.

I have to ask - what makes you think you ARE a liberal?

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 02:04:27 am »
I have to ask - what makes you think you ARE a liberal?

I don't think people should have to pay unreasonable amounts of money to stay healthy. I don't think a young person should have to go tens of thousands of dollars into debt just for seeking education. I don't think we need to spend more money on military than the rest of the world combined.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:28 am »
I don't think people should have to pay unreasonable amounts of money to stay healthy. I don't think a young person should have to go tens of thousands of dollars into debt just for seeking education. I don't think we need to spend more money on military than the rest of the world combined.

Why should I be required to pay healthcare for you or your family?  Especially those who smoke, drink, do drugs, live on junk food and more? 

I paid for my own college education, why should I be required to pay for your college education, after all I helped pay for K-12 and I have no children. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 02:09:28 am »
and.. BTW most doctors will discount your visits if you pay cash. Before Obama screwed up the HC system a young person could purchase a major medical policy at a relatively low rate and then pay cash for visits... better yet as Dr. Carson has recommended - have Health Savings Accounts.  And, the POOR in this country have always received FREE healthcare - it is called MEDICAID - and a hospital never turns anyone away,

Another thing one reason the cost of healthcare has gone through the roof - especially in the border states - is illegal immigrants coming here and overwhelming the system with visits and not paying the bill, those costs are then passed on to those who DO have insurance.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 02:12:29 am »
Why should I be required to pay healthcare for you or your family?  Especially those who smoke, drink, do drugs, live on junk food and more? 

I paid for my own college education, why should I be required to pay for your college education, after all I helped pay for K-12 and I have no children.

None of those uninsured people can pay for their medical bills anyway is the way I see it. They go to the ER last minute, once it is so painful that they can't put it off anymore, get charged tens of thousands of dollars for a procedure that would have been way easier to manage if they'd had insurance to take care of it before it got bad, and then never pay it, ever. The government is already picking up the tab on that. That's not even the main problem though. The main problem is the actual cost of the healthcare. Did you know there are vials of antivenom that can cost in excess of a million dollars? Just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting bit by a snake. Pretty much all of the price tags on anything medicine related are OUTRAGEOUS, and the same is true for the colleges. 50-60 years ago people were able to afford to pay their loans out of pocket. People don't make enough money to keep up with how much all of this costs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:14:28 am by Liberal_Spy »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 02:15:02 am »
Obamacare Website:  BORN THAT WAY

(excerpt from Ace of Spades HQ)

First, let's talk about how awful this thing is built.

Five outside technology experts interviewed by Reuters, however, say they believe flaws in system architecture, not traffic alone, contributed to the problems.

One possible cause of the problems is that hitting "apply" on HealthCare.gov causes 92 separate files, plug-ins and other mammoth swarms of data to stream between the user's computer and the servers powering the government website, said Matthew Hancock, an independent expert in website design. He was able to track the files being requested through a feature in the Firefox browser.

Of the 92 he found, 56 were JavaScript files, including plug-ins that make it easier for code to work on multiple browsers (such as Microsoft Corp's Internet Explorer and Google Inc's Chrome) and let users upload files to HealthCare.gov.

It is not clear why the upload function was included.

"They set up the website in such a way that too many requests to the server arrived at the same time," Hancock said.

In case you missed it, @johnekdahl noted last night that the administration has reset everyone's passwords in an effort to... I don't even know what. It's a drastic step, though.

Well, I suppose that's one way to try fix this. Generally speaking, the "your username got eaten by the computer machine or lost in the interwebs tubes so choose a different one, and no, we don't know what happened to the original" isn't a best practice solution. If I were a cynic, I might suggest they're just wingin' it at this point.

In other words, the software architecture was set up so as TO PERFORM A DENIAL OF SERVICE ATTACK ON ITSELF!   So that it will NEVER work as promoted, no matter how many passwords are changed.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 02:18:29 am »
None of those uninsured people can pay for their medical bills anyway is the way I see it. They go to the ER last minute, once it is so painful that they can't put it off anymore, get charged tens of thousands of dollars for a procedure that would have been way easier to manage if they'd had insurance to take care of it before it got bad, and then never pay it, ever. The government is already picking up the tab on that. That's not even the main problem though. The main problem is the actual cost of the healthcare. Did you know their are vials of antivenom that can cost in excess of a million dollars? Just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting bit by a snake. Pretty much all of the price tags on anything medicine related are OUTRAGEOUS, and the same is true for the colleges. 50-60 years ago people were able to afford to pay their loans out of pocket. People don't make enough money to keep up with how much all of this costs.

You do realize that the hospitals are for PROFIT - they are not government run.

You do realize the more government gets involved the more costs increase - when you allow private industry to work and there is competition - prices go down.

Do you realize one of the reasons cost of insurance is so high is different states hang a lot of requirements on insurance companies like a Christmas tree... and someone has to pay for those goodies - you know like free contraceptives.

You do realize that unlike auto insurance health insurance companies are prevented from selling policies across state lines - because of the above mentioned requirements from the states.........

You do realize one of the reasons things like the vaccines are an issue today can be traced back directly to Hillarycare - most of the vaccine manufacturing ended up offshore...

You do realize it costs MILLIONS to develop new drugs and those pharmaceuticals have to make back those costs - which is one reason there is a limit of the time someone can produce a drug in a generic form?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 02:21:14 am »
But you still didn't answer why I should be required to pay for your healthcare?  If a person wants to have a family then they need to stop and think...  :pondering: :pondering: :pondering: diapers - check!  food - check!  insurance - check!  money for college - check!

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 02:21:42 am »
You do realize that the hospitals are for PROFIT - they are not government run.

You do realize the more government gets involved the more costs increase - when you allow private industry to work and there is competition - prices go down.

Do you realize one of the reasons cost of insurance is so high is different states hang a lot of requirements on insurance companies like a Christmas tree... and someone has to pay for those goodies - you know like free contraceptives.

You do realize that unlike auto insurance health insurance companies are prevented from selling policies across state lines - because of the above mentioned requirements from the states.........

You do realize one of the reasons things like the vaccines are an issue today can be traced back directly to Hillarycare - most of the vaccine manufacturing ended up offshore...

You do realize it costs MILLIONS to develop new drugs and those pharmaceuticals have to make back those costs - which is one reason there is a limit of the time someone can produce a drug in a generic form?

Well, we all know where this conversation goes from here. You and I have the realization that we are two different people that see the world in dramatically different ways. I could continue this conversation to its conclusion if you want, but I feel it will just lead to people getting annoyed with me and pushing the admin to ban me from the forums. That's not really what I'm here to do. You asked what makes me a liberal and I told you.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 02:27:45 am »
Unfortunately there isn't much you can add since like most liberals you don't believe in personal responsibility and think the government is the solution while most conservatives believe the exact opposite.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 02:29:39 am »
Unfortunately there isn't much you can add since like most liberals you don't believe in personal responsibility and think the government is the solution while most conservatives believe the exact opposite.

I respect that you feel that way. :)