Author Topic: Redskins Owners Writes Letter To Season-Ticket Holders: We Are Never Going To Change Our Team’s Name. End of Story  (Read 1126 times)

famousdayandyear

http://weaselzippers.us/

Redskins Owners Writes Letter To Season-Ticket Holders: We Are Never Going To Change Our Team’s Name. End of Story…

Stand strong.

Via WaPo:

The following is the text of a letter dated Oct. 9 from Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to season-ticket holders:

To Everyone in our Washington Redskins Nation:

As loyal fans, you deserve to know that everyone in the Washington Redskins organization — our players, coaches and staff — are truly privileged to represent this team and everything it stands for. We are relentlessly committed to our fans and to the sustained long-term success of this franchise.

That’s why I want to reach out to you — our fans — about a topic I wish to address directly: the team name, “Washington Redskins.” While our focus is firmly on the playing field, it is important that you hear straight from me on this issue. As the owner of the Redskins and a lifelong fan of the team, here is what I believe and why I believe it.

Like so many of you, I was born a fan of the Washington Redskins. I still remember my first Redskins game.

Most people do. I was only six, but I remember coming through the tunnel into the stands at RFK with my father, and immediately being struck by the enormity of the stadium and the passion of the fans all around me.

I remember how quiet it got when the Redskins had the ball, and then how deafening it was when we scored. The ground beneath me seemed to move and shake, and I reached up to grab my father’s hand. The smile on his face as he sang that song … he’s been gone for 10 years now, but that smile, and his pride, are still with me every day.

That tradition — the song, the cheer — it mattered so much to me as a child, and I know it matters to every other Redskins fan in the D.C. area and across the nation.

Our past isn’t just where we came from — it’s who we are.

As some of you may know, our team began 81 years ago — in 1932 — with the name “Boston Braves.” The following year, the franchise name was changed to the “Boston Redskins.” On that inaugural Redskins team, four players and our Head Coach were Native Americans. The name was never a label. It was, and continues to be, a badge of honor.

In 1971, our legendary coach, the late George Allen, consulted with the Red Cloud Athletic Fund located on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and designed our emblem on the Redskins helmets. Several years later, Coach Allen was honored by the Red Cloud Athletic Fund. On the wall at our Ashburn, Virginia, offices is the plaque given to Coach Allen — a source of pride for all of us. “Washington Redskins is more than a name we have called our football team for over eight decades. It is a symbol of everything we stand for: strength, courage, pride, and respect — the same values we know guide Native Americans and which are embedded throughout their rich history as the original Americans. [...]

I respect the opinions of those who disagree. I want them to know that I do hear them, and I will continue to listen and learn. But we cannot ignore our 81 year history, or the strong feelings of most of our fans as well as Native Americans throughout the country. After 81 years, the team name “Redskins” continues to hold the memories and meaning of where we came from, who we are, and who we want to be in the years to come.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline collins

Good. Now shut up, Obama.

Hella yeah. Could the Redskins owner be ANY clearer about this? Petty issue for a petty POTUS.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

Don Rickles could never have launched his brilliant comedic career in today's panties in-a-bunch environment.

I can't believe metrosexuals even watch football.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

The do!   I was getting my hair done at the salon yesterday, which of course is always teeming with gays.  One of them had his iPhone out, going over all yesterday's NFL scores with a customer and talking about how great this and that game was. 

I was really surprised by that.

Offline aligncare

Well now that you mention it. I guess the sight of all those men in tight ... Well you know where I'm going with this.