Author Topic: Meet the Man Running Against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in Kentucky  (Read 5479 times)

Offline happyg

On Wednesday, Glenn Beck interviewed Matt Bevin, one of the individuals running against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) in the 2014 elections. Beck said he looked in to Bevin before the interview, consulting with groups like FreedomWorks and the Senate Conservatives Fund, and was shocked that some of the groups’ members described him as the best constitutional candidate they have seen, period.

Bevin modestly commented: “To say I’m a constitutionalist like [Senators] Mike Lee or Ted Cruz would be an insult to them, although we’ve had interesting discussions and I think the world of them.”

When asked to describe himself and the condition of his soul (Beck’s favorite question to ask aspiring politicians), Bevin remarked: “I’m a guy who grew up, second of six children, and I grew up in the country in a three bedroom house. Ate everything we grew on our own land…It was a home grounded very much on Judeo-Christian ethics and principles. And my Christian faith is really the cornerstone of who I am as a person. So my entire life as a business person, husband, father, how I will be as a politician is grounded in my Christian faith. So that’s me from a broad stroke.”

Speaking about his professional experience, Bevin said he put himself through college and joined the military, where he was an army officer on active duty for “a number of years.”

“Left the military a little over twenty years ago. Have worked exclusively in the private sector. Small business owner, a guy who employs other people, pays taxes and pays attention,” Bevin said. “That’s why I am in this race, because I do not see the future, the American dream being offered to future generations in the way that it was to mine and those who preceded me.”

Bevin’s website has more information on his experience.  One accomplishment, in particular, stands out:

In 2008, Matt began helping out at Bevin Bros. – a bell manufacturing company that had been in the Bevin family since it opened its doors in 1832. Besieged by high taxes and foreign competition, Bevin Bros. was on the verge of bankruptcy and Matt’s uncle was planning to shut it down. In 2011, Matt became the President of Bevin Bros. In only a year, he paid off all the company’s debts and back taxes, modernized the business model, and saved more than 20 jobs. After the company was struck by lightning in 2012 and burned to the ground, Matt started over yet again. Today, Bevin Bros. continues to make thousands of bells including those used by the Salvation Army and Macy’s Santas every year.

Bevin has also served on numerous non-profit boards, including as chairman of the board of the American Red Cross, Louisville Area Chapter, according to his website. He has permanently endowed a number of scholarship funds, grants and centers that offer educational opportunities for young people in the U.S. with limited financial resources. He has also done extensive work to help the underprivileged overseas, helping to construct water towers, expand electrical grids, erect security walls, develop agriculture and dairy programs, and update classroom facilities in India and Africa.

Meet Matt Bevin, Constitutionalist Running Against Mitch McConnell for Senate in Kentucky

Beck said he felt the need to get one question out of the way before continuing the interview, seeing as Bevin described himself first and foremost as a Christian.

“Do you believe that rape is sometimes the way God works to create children?” Beck asked sarcastically.

“No,” Bevin remarked, adding that he has no “burning desire to to discuss the physiology of women at any point in this campaign.”

The two proceeded to discuss issues like Obamacare, the national debt, domestic surveillance, and Common Core.

Beck also asked Bevin about an MSNBC interview that, when you look him up on Google, is prominently displayed.  The title is, “Matt Bevin: I’m Not ‘a Tea Party Guy.’”

Bevin explained that while he agrees with many of the values of the Tea Party, and is proud to have the support of more than 15 local Tea Party affiliates around the state, he isn’t a member of one.

“I want people to understand, I’m not pretending to be something I’m not,” Bevin said.  “I don’t want to give the impression that I’ve been a Tea Party leader. I’m not. I’m the father of nine children. I own a number of businesses. And I’ve been busy paying taxes and living life.”

Bevin’s children range in age from ages 3-14.  Four were adopted from Ethiopia.

Video at link: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/09/meet-the-man-running-against-senate-minority-leader-mitch-mcconnell-in-kentucky/

Offline Rapunzel

Sounds good to me, may have to send him a check.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
He's just one of several that will spread the votes around.

I'd be far more impressed by postings here, about great GOP opponents of sitting democrat officeholders.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

I'd be far more impressed by postings here, about great GOP opponents of sitting democrat officeholders.

Ok, great, and I will be far more impressed when YOU start that ball rolling.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

He's just one of several that will spread the votes around.

Nope, the GOP is rotting from the inside out for the very reason people like you support the old guard over and over no matter how bad they are or how little they actually accomplish to stop the forward march to this becoming a third world country.  People like McConnell are every bit as much the problem as Reid.  Just because they have an R behind their name means squat.  Case in point you insisted McCain should be returned to the senate. What - EXACTLY - has he done for the GOP since he was re-elected.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

Less and less civil and friendly here.

Place has morphed from --

-- favoring Rudy Giuliani, to

--"GOP Briefing Room", to

--The Briefing Room, to

--Tea Party central, and if your veer off their line, your are attacked personally, by moderators.

Offline happyg

--The Briefing Room, to

--Tea Party central, and if your veer off their line, your are attacked personally, by moderators.

Rap is not speaking as a Mod, nor am I. We are regular posters like anyone else, who have to abide by the same rules. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Rap is not speaking as a Mod, nor am I. We are regular posters like anyone else, who have to abide by the same rules. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Exactly.  None of us here speak as staff members when giving our opinions.  We speak for ourselves and no one else.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

:amen:
Nope, the GOP is rotting from the inside out for the very reason people like you support the old guard over and over no matter how bad they are or how little they actually accomplish to stop the forward march to this becoming a third world country.  People like McConnell are every bit as much the problem as Reid.  Just because they have an R behind their name means squat.  Case in point you insisted McCain should be returned to the senate. What - EXACTLY - has he done for the GOP since he was re-elected.

A truly brain-dead remark.  Look at McConnell's voting record, look at his rating from the ACU.

It's all or nothing with the TP.  Vote with me on THIS, or to hell with you, no matter what you've done in the past.  Now Mitch McConnell, who spent hours trying to stop Obamacare, went to the wall on the sequester, is now, according to Rap, no better than Harry Reid.

Unappeaseables are just that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

--The Briefing Room, to

I am the ONLY poster on this board who has been slapped, twice, by mods in the last two weeks.  Both slaps were delivered, I suspect, by happyg (who has as much business being an impartial moderator on this board as I do.)  Now I'm told, in a personal email by the owner of this board, that bullshit is a perfectly acceptable word, especially when it is the most apt word in reaction to a post.

You and I are endangered here. We're both Republicans, but we're not the RIGHT KIND of Republican.  More and more this place is resembling the place I left seven years ago because of the increasing rancor,  insistence on lock-step opinions, and a condemnation to the pits of hell because of a disagreement over tactics.

Offline Cincinnatus

You mean, like this: A truly brain-dead remark?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

I am the ONLY poster on this board who has been slapped, twice, by mods in the last two weeks.  Both slaps were delivered, I suspect, by happyg (who has as much business being an impartial moderator on this board as I do.)  Now I'm told, in a personal email by the owner of this board, that bullshit is a perfectly acceptable word, especially when it is the most apt word in reaction to a post.

You and I are endangered here. We're both Republicans, but we're not the RIGHT KIND of Republican.  More and more this place is resembling the place I left seven years ago because of the increasing rancor,  insistence on lock-step opinions, and a condemnation to the pits of hell because of a disagreement over tactics.

Well, you had me with your first paragraph, and lost me with all your freakin' drama in the second one.   Honestly, you remind me of the Carol Burnett parody of the aging drama queen.   :laugh:

I agree that the moderation has gotten more a lot more persnickety the past couple of months, and like you, I suspect its coming from the same overzealous (in my opinion) moderator.  That being said, your whining, throwing stones and playing the victim is most unattractive, but then, those who throw stones usually have the thinnest skins anyway.  At least in my experience.

Offline happyg

I agree that the moderation has gotten more a lot more persnickety the past couple of months, and like you, I suspect its coming from the same overzealous (in my opinion) moderator

Both slaps were delivered, I suspect, by happyg (who has as much business being an impartial moderator on this board as I do.)

You are both wrong. I have never used the Mod status, but always posted as a regular poster, while keeping an eye open. I enjoy your posts, Hillary, but mostly ignore sink's because of the confrontations. Whatever the slapdowns were, I assume they were earned.

Offline Rapunzel

You mean, like this: A truly brain-dead remark?

~LOL~ no kidding.  Sink you are incapable of making a statement without insulting someone within that post.... be it one of us or Palin or Cruz or...  you truly live in a glass house.

Offline truth_seeker

So it is fine with you, speaking not as a moderators, but as a "regular posters like anyone else," to be less civil and friendly?

And to do personal attacks?

Offline truth_seeker

Exactly.  None of us here speak as staff members when giving our opinions.  We speak for ourselves and no one else.
So it is fine with you, speaking not as a moderator, but as a member, to be less civil and friendly?

Offline Rapunzel

So it is fine with you, speaking not as a moderator, but as a member, to be less civil and friendly?

You seem to consider pretty much anything from us "peons" on this site as a personal attack...    you love to come in here and throw out ad hominem remarks aimed at the people who post here and conservative sites in general; I've lost count of the number of times you said how stupid black people are - because you are convinced one book you read is the holy grail on the subject - and then for good measure you make comments about people who listen to Limbaugh or Hannity, etc.  In general whether you mean it to sound that way or not your posts are looking down your nose at most of us as you if we are unworthy of breathing the same rarefied air... which does not garner a lot of respect in return no matter what position a person does or does not hold - but when people respond in kind you whine that we are rude or stalking you or making personal attacks.  Try actually discussing with everyone instead of putting everyone down and perhaps we'll all get along better... you may have been the boss in your prior working life, but in here you put your pants on one leg at a time like everyone else.

Offline truth_seeker

You seem to consider pretty much anything from us "peons" on this site as a personal attack...    you love to come in here and throw out ad hominem remarks aimed at the people who post here and conservative sites in general; I've lost count of the number of times you said how stupid black people are - because you are convinced one book you read is the holy grail on the subject - and then for good measure you make comments about people who listen to Limbaugh or Hannity, etc.  In general whether you mean it to sound that way or not your posts are looking down your nose at most of us as you if we are unworthy of breathing the same rarefied air... which does not garner a lot of respect in return no matter what position a person does or does not hold - but when people respond in kind you whine that we are rude or stalking you or making personal attacks.  Try actually discussing with everyone instead of putting everyone down and perhaps we'll all get along better... you may have been the boss in your prior working life, but in here you put your pants on one leg at a time like everyone else.
1. In that  diatribe against me, you used the word "you" about 15 times.

2. Are you speaking as a moderator?

Sure is not civil and friendly, as I stated.

Offline Rapunzel

1. In that  diatribe against me, you used the word "you" about 15 times.

2. Are you speaking as a moderator?

Sure is not civil and friendly, as I stated.

Did you see this showing as "mod"........ nope this was spoken as a member who is tired of you talking down to all us and then complaining when someone says something that offends you.

Offline truth_seeker

Did you see this showing as "mod"........ nope this was spoken as a member who is tired of you talking down to all us and then complaining when someone says something that offends you.
I'm tired of your personal attacks on me. OVER and over.

Offline Rapunzel

I'm tired of your personal attacks on me. OVER and over.

You pretty much consider any response to you as an attack.  Nothing is stopping you from placing people you don't like on ignore.

Offline truth_seeker

You pretty much consider any response to you as an attack.  Nothing is stopping you from placing people you don't like on ignore.
No, just you and two or three others.

Offline sinkspur

Well, you had me with your first paragraph, and lost me with all your freakin' drama in the second one.   Honestly, you remind me of the Carol Burnett parody of the aging drama queen.   :laugh:

I agree that the moderation has gotten more a lot more persnickety the past couple of months, and like you, I suspect its coming from the same overzealous (in my opinion) moderator.  That being said, your whining, throwing stones and playing the victim is most unattractive, but then, those who throw stones usually have the thinnest skins anyway.  At least in my experience.

My skin is thicker than cowhide.  It has to be to put up with the Cruzites and their "we will brook no opposition" attitudes. 

Offline sinkspur

~LOL~ no kidding.  Sink you are incapable of making a statement without insulting someone within that post.... be it one of us or Palin or Cruz or...  you truly live in a glass house.

"Brain dead" is an insult?  That's mild up against some of the vitriol you spew.

Offline Rapunzel

"Brain dead" is an insult?  That's mild up against some of the vitriol you spew.

Perhaps you can show me where I ever referred to you as "brain dead."  Projecting again, Sinky.