Author Topic: Obama 'expects' solution on military death benefits Wednesday  (Read 3560 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama 'expects' solution on military death benefits Wednesday
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:16 pm »
http://www.politico.com/politico44/?hp=bh

By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
10/9/13 1:21 PM EDT

President Obama "expects" that the situation preventing military spouses from receiving death benefits during the government shutdown will be resolved on Wednesday.

"The president was very disturbed to learn of this problem and he directed the Department of Defense to work with the Office of Management and Budget and his lawyers to develop a possible solution," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters. "The president expects this to be fixed today."

Carney said the Defense Department had notified Congress before the shutdown that military death benefits would be among the programs that would be put on hold in the event of a shutdown, but that it didn't make it into the Pay Our Military Act, the stopgap bill to pay military salaries that Obama signed into law last week. It's "unthinkable that these benefits would not be available" to the families of members of the military, Carney said, and once the president learned of the lapse, he asked his administration to try to fix it.

The House plans to vote Wednesday afternoon on a bill to fund military death benefits.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Obama 'expects' solution on military death benefits Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »
Caught with their pants down, and trying to cover up.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:53:28 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/9/angry-obama-order-gi-death-benefits-restored/

Angry Obama orders GI death benefits restored

By Dave Boyer

-

The Washington Times

Updated: 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A “very disturbed” President Obama has ordered his top aides to restore death benefits today for families of military service members killed in action.

“The president was very disturbed to learn of this problem,” said White House press secretary Jay Carney. “The president expects this to be fixed today. He was not pleased.”

The payments have been suspended as a result of the partial government shutdown. GOP House Speaker John A. Boehner blasted the administration and the Pentagon, saying Congress gave the authority to pay such bills in a law passed just before the partial government shut down on Oct. 1.

Mr. Carney said the Defense Department informed Congress about the potential problem before the shutdown, and “unfortunately” the legislation didn’t specifically address death benefits.

Mr. Carney said he didn’t know when the president learned of the problem. The White House tried to blame congressional Republicans for the lapse.

“The Department of Defense informed Congress that the department would be legally unable to pay death benefits were there to be a lapse in DOD appropriations — in other words, informed Congress prior to the lapse that that would be the case if there were to be a lapse,” Mr. Carney said. “Unfortunately, this issue was not explicitly addressed as part of the Pay Our Military Act.”

Asked why the president didn’t make sure that the issue was addressed in the act, Mr. Carney replied, “The Republicans shut the government down. None of this would be an issue if the government were open, OK?”

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:54:33 pm »
Pure BS..this has been going on since Monday and he is now doing something about it on Wed....the families had to suffer through this for 3 days
Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:38 pm »
That 37% approval rating is gonna have Obammy scramblin'. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:14:36 pm »
The president was very disturbed to learn of this problem,

"This problem" being the negative blowback he's gotten from this latest bit of stupidity.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »

It took 6 years of a lying, hostile press to bring President Bush's polls down this far.

Obama has had a worshipping, obedient media, covering his butt at every turn, and even so, the American people have started to figure it out.

Maybe there IS hope for us!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »
The federal government pays the family of fallen heroes $100,000 for travel and burial costs?

Isn't that a bit ridiculous?  $100K?? :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:01:45 pm »
It took 6 years of a lying, hostile press to bring President Bush's polls down this far.

Obama has had a worshipping, obedient media, covering his butt at every turn, and even so, the American people have started to figure it out.

Maybe there IS hope for us!

Nixon's poll stayed high and he was also re-elected and then his polls stayed strong for the first year, but when they started to tank they never looked back....... expecially once the GOP agreed to work in a bipartisan manner with the Democrats on a "Select" Committee to investigate Watergate....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:06:05 pm »
the American people have started to figure it out.

They have started to figure it out, MusicLady, because the Praetorian Guard that is the MSM cannot cover up or bury what is going on this time. It is right in our faces.

Hubris has finally caught up with Obama. Based on the record and the protection the MSM has provided him, his Majesty thought he could get away with anything.

He was wrong.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 09:06:41 pm »
I wonder if he dropped his scepter and orb or was there only an askewing of his crown?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:35:43 pm »
the American people have started to figure it out.

They have started to figure it out, MusicLady, because the Praetorian Guard that is the MSM cannot cover up or bury what is going on this time. It is right in our faces.

Hubris has finally caught up with Obama. Based on the record and the protection the MSM has provided him, his Majesty thought he could get away with anything.

He was wrong.

I wonder what the punk-dictator wannabe will do, if and when he finds out that he's out of favor with the vast majority of the country?

I'm thinking he's going to dig in farther, get more strident, and throw more tantrums like he did yesterday.

His media lackeys will still cover for him, but I think it will do less and less good.

(Maybe a hint of optimism returning to my soul??)

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:01 pm »
He has no reason to care about his approval rating. He's more concerned with making sure the fallout from this makes the Republicans look significantly worse. I'm about as left wing as you can get, and I am disgusted with most of the Democrats over all of this. I realize John Boehner is the one that could end it, but all the Democrats seem to care about is winning the PR battle and making the Republicans look as bad as possible over an extremist faction of their party shutting the government down.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »
He has no reason to care about his approval rating. He's more concerned with making sure the fallout from this makes the Republicans look significantly worse. I'm about as left wing as you can get, and I am disgusted with most of the Democrats over all of this. I realize John Boehner is the one that could end it, but all the Democrats seem to care about is winning the PR battle and making the Republicans look as bad as possible over an extremist faction of their party shutting the government down.

But you are wrong..he does care about his approval rating..that is why he had the phony presser yesterday with all the softball questions from the *reporters* Carney told him to choose...
Support the USO

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »
But you are wrong..he does care about his approval rating..that is why he had the phony presser yesterday with all the softball questions from the *reporters* Carney told him to choose...

To be fair all presidents do this now. He cares about saving face for the Democrats as a whole, because he and the rest of the party see all of this as a huge opportunity for the left to take over the house and get another left wing president in the White House.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:11 pm »

And that's why he's pretending to care that the death benefits of the families of our heroes have been denied (by his own 'people').

The only possible goal of this creep who hates the military is to improve his standing with pro-military Democrats.

There's not an honest bone is his body.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:52 pm »
To be fair all presidents do this now. He cares about saving face for the Democrats as a whole, because he and the rest of the party see all of this as a huge opportunity for the left to take over the house and get another left wing president in the White House.

You never heard a Bush press conference, did you??

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 10:46:10 pm »
You never heard a Bush press conference, did you??

Right..those were grueling...
Support the USO

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:15 pm »

See, we're agreeing already.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 10:50:58 pm »

Yes.  The press was so filled with disdain for him that I'm surprised that they didn't throw shoes at him.

What I'd like to see is just a little bit of the adversarial role that the press is supposed to have for ANY President.

I'm sick of the worship services, and the bowing, groveling, and stroking that the pseudo-journalists do with their lord and master, Obama.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:20 pm »
Yes.  The press was so filled with disdain for him that I'm surprised that they didn't throw shoes at him.

What I'd like to see is just a little bit of the adversarial role that the press is supposed to have for ANY President.

I'm sick of the worship services, and the bowing, groveling, and stroking that the pseudo-journalists do with their lord and master, Obama.

Now THERE is something we can really agree on. Bring back real journalism. The press should be able to grill these guys over their bullshit without being marginalized and having their careers ruined over it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:41 pm »
Now THERE is something we can really agree on. Bring back real journalism. The press should be able to grill these guys over their bullshit without being marginalized and having their careers ruined over it.

Republicans don't do that to people.  Bush didn't do that to the media that lied about him and excoriated him.

The only people who are that vindictive are liberals.

Like you.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 11:47:26 pm »
Republicans don't do that to people.  Bush didn't do that to the media that lied about him and excoriated him.

The only people who are that vindictive are liberals.

Like you.

It's not vindictive. If a politician is lying, left wing or right, the press should have our back and call out their nonsense. These guys are running the country; they SHOULD have to answer really hard, complicated questions, and if they're not lying, and actually have the betterment of the people in mind, they should have nothing to worry about. Common sense, reason and TRUTH should be the core values of the press.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 11:50:59 pm »
It's not vindictive. If a politician is lying, left wing or right, the press should have our back and call out their nonsense. These guys are running the country; they SHOULD have to answer really hard, complicated questions, and if they're not lying, and actually have the betterment of the people in mind, they should have nothing to worry about. Common sense, reason and TRUTH should be the core values of the press.

Well, you're right about what the liberal press SHOULD be doing.

But you seem to be missing the part that the media (almost entirely left-wing, like you), is fawning over, lying about, and protecting one of the most corrupt people ever to sit in the Oval Office.

They're supposed to be questioning, not worshipping.

(btw, that never, ever, EVER happens with a Republican president.  EVER).

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 11:56:07 pm »
Well, you're right about what the liberal press SHOULD be doing.

But you seem to be missing the part that the media (almost entirely left-wing, like you), is fawning over, lying about, and protecting one of the most corrupt people ever to sit in the Oval Office.

They're supposed to be questioning, not worshipping.

(btw, that never, ever, EVER happens with a Republican president.  EVER).

I'm not a democrat by any stretch of the imagination. I don't vote for democrats and I don't try to defend them. Some of their ideology intersects with my own, but the same can be said of conservatives. I personally believe that all the news organizations are bought and paid for. I think real journalism died out years ago, and all that remains is the puppet show that is designed to spoon feed their obedient audience.