Author Topic: Dick Morris on the government shutdown  (Read 1670 times)

Offline pjohns

Dick Morris on the government shutdown
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:16:43 pm »
I believe Dick Morris is right on target as regarding President Obama's attempt to frame the issue of the government shutdown in a way that is most favorable to his own position, by using weasel words in place of the unvarnished truth:

As his battle with the Republicans focuses more on the debt limit and less on ObamaCare, the president has invented a new vocabulary to suit his political needs.

"Seeking to raise the debt limit" is out.  "Preventing an economic shutdown" is in.

"Debt" is never mentioned.  The word is "obligations". ...

The words "debt" and "borrowing" and "spending" are politically anathema.  So Obama has to invent new words to describe his position. ...

All of these word games are designed to camouflage how unattractive the president's position really is.  Every American understands that before your raise your credit limit on your cards, you had better limit your spending and change your ways.

Here is the link:  http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/h/search?si=1&so=0&sc=4115&st=message&id=176440&xim=1&action=view

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Dick Morris on the government shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »
I believe Dick Morris is right on target as regarding President Obama's attempt to frame the issue of the government shutdown in a way that is most favorable to his own position, by using weasel words in place of the unvarnished truth:

Here is the link:  http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/h/search?si=1&so=0&sc=4115&st=message&id=176440&xim=1&action=view

Your link doesn't work.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

Offline pjohns

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:54:17 pm »
Your link doesn't work.

I just now tried it (both in the OP and in your own post, which included it), and it worked for me...

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:52 pm »
I just now tried it (both in the OP and in your own post, which included it), and it worked for me...

Odd. The link redirects me to Comcast's Xfinity website. Might be my set up.

In any event, I got it here: http://www.dickmorris.com/obamas-new-vocabulary/

Thanks!
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn