Author Topic: NFL Will Meet with Tribe About Redskins Name  (Read 1333 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NFL Will Meet with Tribe About Redskins Name
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/10/07/NFL-says-itll-meet-with-tribe-about-Redskins-name

AP 7 Oct 2013
(AP) NFL says it'll meet with tribe about Redskins name
By HOWARD FENDRICH
AP Pro Football Writer
WASHINGTON
The NFL is prepared to meet with an Indian tribe pushing for the Washington Redskins to drop the team's nickname. Just not this week.

As league owners gathered Monday in the nation's capital for their fall meetings, the Oneida Indian Nation held a symposium across town to promote their "Change the Mascot" campaign. Oneida representative Ray Halbritter said the NFL was invited to attend.

Instead, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said, a meeting has been scheduled for next month _ and could happen sooner.

"We respect that people have differing views," McCarthy said. "It is important that we listen to all perspectives."

He said the Redskins name is not on the agenda for the owners' meetings. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed to keep the name, and an AP-GfK poll conducted in April found that nearly 4 in 5 Americans don't think the team should change its name.

It's a topic generating discussion lately, though. President Barack Obama said in an interview with The Associated Press last week that he would "think about changing" the team's name if he were the owner.

Halbritter called that statement "nothing less than historic" and said the team's nickname is "a divisive epithet ... and an outdated sign of division and hate."

Addressing the NFL, Halbritter said: "It is hypocritical to say you're America's pastime but not represent the ideals of America."

U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn., said the league and team are "promoting a racial slur" and "this issue is not going away."

For years, a group of American Indians has tried to block the team from having federal trademark protection, and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's envoy to Congress, predicted Monday that effort eventually will succeed.

"This name is going to go into the dustbin of history," she said.

Lanny Davis, a lawyer who said he's been advising Snyder on the name issue for "at least several months," said in a telephone interview after the symposium: "The Washington Redskins support people's feelings, but the overwhelming data is that Native Americans are not offended and only a small minority are."

Davis also said the campaign is "showing selective attention" by focusing on the Redskins and not teams such as the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, or Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves.

Earlier, Halbritter was asked about those other nicknames.

"The name of Washington's team is a dictionary-defined, offensive racial epithet. Those other names aren't," Halbritter said. "But there is a broader discussion to be had about using mascots generally."

Players for the Redskins have remained mostly silent on the topic, including star quarterback Robert Griffin III, who recently called the debate "something way above my understanding."

Some players approached in the locker room Monday avoided addressing the subject altogether.

"It's really tough. And I mean this sincerely: I get both sides of the argument," guard Chris Chester said. "I see how it can offend some people, but I feel like the context that this organization has, there's no negative connotation. You wouldn't name your team something you didn't have respect for. At least I wouldn't. I mean, I understand, too, that it offends some people, so I sympathize with both sides."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: NFL Will Meet with Tribe About Redskins Name
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »
In truth, there haven't been very many Native Americans extant in the Washington, D.C. environs for generations now.

So perhaps it would be fitting after all to rechristen the team after a more contemporary set of local denizens, for example:

The Washington Bureaucrats
The Washington Lobbyists
The Washington Lawyers
The Washington Policy Analysts
The Washington 501(c)(3) Foundations

I'm open to suggestion.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:12 pm »
I am highly offended by all these people being offended. Redskins is not a derogatory term.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 05:19:44 pm »
I'm open to suggestion.

I kinda lead toward names that would honor the royal couple.

The Washington Obamas

The Washington Baracks

The Washington Michelles

Something along those lines. Although I admit they sound a tad awkward it is the intent, to show our adoration for the Obamas, that really ought matter.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:22:18 pm »
The Washington Shutdowns
The Washington Barrycades

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:07:55 pm »
The Washington Choom Gang.

Honors the current occupant of the White House and appeals to the NFL Playa Association.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:57 pm »
The Redskins are one of the world's  top three professional sports franchises...worth over $1.5 BILLION.

Snyder is NOT going to change the name while he's drawing a breath....not even if the league PAYS him $1 BILLION as 'damages'.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »
The Washington Leeches.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org