Author Topic: Common Core Reaches a New Low – Check This Out!  (Read 923 times)

Offline happyg

Common Core Reaches a New Low – Check This Out!
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:16:09 am »
Rosalie Hanson

Editorial Note: Readers of this post seem intent on debunking it. These are the facts: the sources are at the bottom of the post; one of the sources – jeopardy labs – is widely used; the worksheets do not come from the Education Department; the Education Department has produced the skill sets not the materials; the worksheets were given out in public schools. The effect Common Core is having on school materials is for parents and teachers to assess. It is better to examine now than after the Standards and all that goes with them are nationalized.

Take a look at these third grade Common Core worksheets [Correction: Common Core-aligned worksheets].*

The first story for third graders takes a twisted social work approach to learning. The next story is about a cheating husband and father, and, again, it’s for third grade.

Could we forego the nonsensical touchy-feely stuff and go back to actually teaching the children how to read literature and do math?

The first worksheet is the tale of Peter and Patty. It’s a terrible piece of literature (I’m using the word ‘literature’ very loosely). It’s about a father who abandons his children in the woods but wishes them well; some woman in the woods takes them in, feeds them fruits and vegetables (she must have been listening to Michelle Obama); and they all live happily ever after. Seriously???  I don’t think I’m overstating it when I say it’s bizarre! Whoever made this up is not right in the head.

Here is the other extremely age-inappropriate worksheet for third grade. This parent had the good sense to reject it. Who is making this stuff up?

* Common Core is a set of Standards – age-inappropriate Standards – and the curricula being aligned with it is also age-inappropriate.

Source: The second story came from ELA Common Core Jeopardy Labs, Grade 3 , The first story is a worksheet given out in a 3rd grade Long Island school- no publisher was listed but we found it on ereading.com. There are many more worksheets just like these.
http://www.independentsentinel.com/common-core-reaches-a-new-low-check-this-out/

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Common Core Reaches a New Low – Check This Out!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:42:47 am »
Good grief!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Re: Common Core Reaches a New Low – Check This Out!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:42:46 am »
"... fondling in her newly suspicious palms ..."

Great writing. No, really.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org