Author Topic: Comcast to Verizon FIOS Confusion  (Read 2106 times)

Offline mrclose

Comcast to Verizon FIOS Confusion
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:01 pm »
Try to bear with me on this please.
(No One seems to know WTH I am trying to ask .. including Verizon!)

I have comcast for my tv broadcast.
I received my set top boxes today for FIOS tv.

Two months ago Verizon installed the outside box (ORT) and battery backup for my internet and landline .. which I am now using.

THE question: Do I need to do a 'physical' disconnect of the comcast cable at the outside (comcast) box?

If I do, will I be able to run FIOS cable tv to the existing cables that are in my walls now .. the ones that comcast is broadcast through?

I am unclear on whether two signals (comcast and Verizon) are running over these inside cables right now?

The tech ran the line from an existing wall cable to my verizon modem but I am in the dark on whether that cable comes from the comcast box outside or from verizons ORT box?

In other words .. How will my tv signal be routed?

Do I just leave everything alone .. disconnect my comcast boxes and connect the fios boxes to the same cable outlets?

I told you that No one could understand my question!

Have I confused all of you too?

Thanks

BTW: The only thing Verizon told me was that I didn't need a tech to come out and sent the boxes by UPS!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:56:27 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Comcast to Verizon FIOS Confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:27:15 am »
Note to myself for tomorrow.. (I'll try to find an answer for you, I work for big red).

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:23:03 am »
Are you switching from Comcast to Verizon FiOS?

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:31:18 am »
The Optical Network Terminal (ONT) is the last box in the chain before you get to your set-top box.  The existing coaxial cable in the house should be connected to the ONT - which, of course, means that it will no longer be connected to the Comcast box, where ever that happens to be.  The Verizon set-top box is then connected to the coaxial in the house, and then to the TV itself.  If you have both FiOS TV and FiOS internet, then you'll need a cable splitter for the coaxial if the router and the set-top box are to be set up near each other.  You attach the coaxial to the signal splitter, which will have two separate pieces of coax coming out of it, then attach one of those pieces to the set-top box and the other to the modem.

sort of like this:

Outside ------------->ONT->pre-existing inside coax-------------------------->signal splitter------------------>TV set-top box------------>TV
                                                                                                                          |
                                                                                                                          |
                                                                                                                          |--------------------->modem (should have wireless)

If the router and set-top box are going to be set up in different locations, and you have pre-existing coax going to each location, then you wouldn't need a signal splitter (your existing wiring already has a splitter somewhere), in which case you would just plug the TV set-top box into the coax at the location where it'll go and the router into the coax at the location where it'll go.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:14:12 am »
The Optical Network Terminal (ONT) is the last box in the chain before you get to your set-top box.  The existing coaxial cable in the house should be connected to the ONT - which, of course, means that it will no longer be connected to the Comcast box, where ever that happens to be.  The Verizon set-top box is then connected to the coaxial in the house, and then to the TV itself.  If you have both FiOS TV and FiOS internet, then you'll need a cable splitter for the coaxial if the router and the set-top box are to be set up near each other.  You attach the coaxial to the signal splitter, which will have two separate pieces of coax coming out of it, then attach one of those pieces to the set-top box and the other to the modem.

sort of like this:

If the router and set-top box are going to be set up in different locations, and you have pre-existing coax going to each location, then you wouldn't need a signal splitter (your existing wiring already has a splitter somewhere), in which case you would just plug the TV set-top box into the coax at the location where it'll go and the router into the coax at the location where it'll go.

All of my confusion comes from the fact that I have FIOS in my man cave.

The tech used an existing cable in the wall to my FIOS modem.

This was after he installed the ONT outside, battery backup for the phone and then went into the attic .. to do something?

Now, I don't know if I only have FIOS in that (man cave) room and all of the other in wall cables can only run comcast?

I am running comcast tv right now from the rooms that I want to run FIOS tomorrow.

I just don't know if when I cancel comcast tomorrow and activate FIOS .. will it run over those existing cables without me having to do anything else.

Unplug comcast boxes .. plug in FIOS?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:19:40 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »
Took the modem from the man cave and connected it to the cable in one of the rooms where I want FIOS TV.

Power on .. no WAN which would indicate .. no FIOS in that room!

Argued with a 'tech' on the phone who told me I need new tv terminals because FIOS doesn't run over coax!

I said, "Your Nuts" .. Fios DOES run over coax, the same coax that I was running comcast on!
The ONT box converts the signal.

I also told him that he better send someone to pick up the boxes they sent since .. They Have Coax terminals on the back!

He quickly transfered me and a tech will be out tomorrow!

I KNEW that this wasn't going to be a smooth transition!
~ Self

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 02:50:25 am »
Took the modem from the man cave and connected it to the cable in one of the rooms where I want FIOS TV.

Power on .. no WAN which would indicate .. no FIOS in that room!

Argued with a 'tech' on the phone who told me I need new tv terminals because FIOS doesn't run over coax!

I said, "Your Nuts" .. Fios DOES run over coax, the same coax that I was running comcast on!
The ONT box converts the signal.

I also told him that he better send someone to pick up the boxes they sent since .. They Have Coax terminals on the back!

He quickly transfered me and a tech will be out tomorrow!

I KNEW that this wasn't going to be a smooth transition!

Unfortunately Verizon's customer service is a serious hit-or-miss affair.