Author Topic: Washington Post Presses Justice Ginsburg: ‘Time to Leave?’ ‘A Justice Selected by …President Cruz is Going to Produce a Very Different Nation’  (Read 771 times)

Offline happyg

Terence P. Jeffrey
In a major feature piece published this weekend, the Washington Post Magazine--with its eye on a closely divided Supreme Court and the end of Barack Obama’s presidency in 2016--asked Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg when she was going to get off the court and make room for Obama to appoint a younger liberal justice to replace her.

The piece, written by Washington Post Supreme Court reporter Robert Barnes, made not-so-subtle references to Justice Ginsburg's "84-year-old ankle" and "84-year-old head."

“The court has four consistent liberals, including Ginsburg, and four consistent conservatives, and the justice in the middle, Anthony M. Kennedy, is a Ronald Reagan-nominee who more often than not sides with conservatives,” explained this piece in the Post's magazine. “If the court’s membership does not change before the 2016 election, the new president would see a Supreme Court with four of its nine members older than 77, including half of the liberal bloc.”

“The reality of the court, and the parties, these days is that Ginsburg ... should know that a justice selected by President Rubio or President Jindal or President Cruz is going to produce a very different nation than one selected by Barack Obama,” the Post quoted political scientist Jonathan Bernstein as having written in The Washington Post itself.

The Post then noted that Ginsburg has been stricken with cancer twice since she has served on the court.

“Ginsburg has appeared frail for years and battled cancer twice, early-stage colon cancer in 1999 and early-stage pancreatic cancer in 2009,” said the Post. “She moves slowly, often with her head down, and speaks deliberately, with pauses that leave listeners wondering if she has finished her thought.”

“And still, the question: When is it time to leave a lifetime appointment?” the Post asked Ginsburg.

“When I can’t do the job, there will be signs,” Ginsburg said. “I know that Justice [John Paul] Stevens [who retired when he was 90] was concerned the last few years about his hearing,” Ginsburg told the paper. “I’ve had no loss of hearing yet. But who knows when it could happen?

“So all I can say is what I’ve already said: At my age, you take it year by year,” said Ginsburg.

The Post also asked former Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, who retired seven years ago, whether Ginsburg should retire from the court. The paper seemed to think O’Connor’s views on the matter might have some influence on Ginsburg, whom the paper said has questioned whether O’Connor has regretted retiring. The Post was able to put that question to rest for the not-yet-retired-while-Obama-is-still-president Ginsburg.

“In interviews, Ginsburg has raised the question of whether O’Connor regrets her decision to leave the court in 2006, at age 75,” the Post said. “The nation’s first female justice, now 83, has hardly slowed down since leaving, serving on commissions, spearheading a national movement to revive civics education and continuing to serve on courts of appeals around the country.

“She retired when her husband, John O’Connor, was suffering from Alzheimer’s; he died in 2009,” said the Post.

“But O’Connor doesn’t look backward,” said the Post.

“I don’t regret it for a minute,” quote O’Connor saying about her retirement. “I felt in my case I’d had a fantastic experience, and my husband needed my care. For me, it was the time to do that.”

The title of the Post’s piece: “The question facing Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Stay or go?”
- See more at: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/washington-post-presses-justice-ginsburg-time-leave-justice-selected#sthash.xdg3YUhk.dpuf

Offline Olivia

Justice Ginsburg must be related to John McCain. Doddering old biddies that hate to give up their power.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline GourmetDan

Justice Ginsburg must be related to John McCain. Doddering old biddies that hate to give up their power.

I don't think she wants Obama to appoint her successor due to her jewish heritage and her perception of  Obama as being anti-Israel.

That could be a good thing because another Obama appointment would be another commie and be on the court for a long, long time.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:48:21 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ I don't think she wants Obama to appoint her successor due to her jewish heritage and her perception of  Obama as being anti-Israel. ]]

Absolute agreement. I was one of the first folks who promulgated this reason as to why Ginsburg insists on remaining in her seat.

I sense that regardless of the fact that she is as "card-carrying" a liberal that could come a-walkin' down the street, Ginsburg sees Obama for who he is: a Jew hating muslim who would destroy Israel if he possibly could.

I sense that deep down, she detests him -- and wants to try to "outlive" him.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:15:24 am by Fishrrman »

Offline GourmetDan

[[ I don't think she wants Obama to appoint her successor due to her jewish heritage and her perception of  Obama as being anti-Israel. ]]

Absolute agreement. I was one of the first folks who promulgated this reason as to why Ginsburg insists on remaining in her seat.

I think I got it from you because it made so much sense.  I just remember reading it, but not where I saw it.   :beer:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Justice Ginsberg is a card carrying, dyed in the wool liberal.

Old school style.

Makes her no more a leftist, or progressive, or whatever they call themselves these days than anyone else.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink