Author Topic: The single most insane Government shutdown quote  (Read 3262 times)

rangerrebew

The single most insane Government shutdown quote
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:53:33 am »
The Single Most Insane Government Shutdown Quote

October 6, 2013 By Daniel Greenfield 7 Comments

The Pisgah Inn, a privately run restaurant run by the same family for decades on Federal land decided to stay open during the shutdown. Since the restaurant isn’t staffed or funded by the government, there was no rational reason for shutting it down.

Except one.

At a spot 5,000 feet above sea level and 20 miles from the nearest town, an innkeeper decided Friday to defy the federal government and reopen his lodge.

That stand lasted about two hours as National Park Service rangers blocked the entrances to the privately run Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway after owner Bruce O’Connell decided to reopen his dining room, gift shop and country store at noon Friday for lunch.

A handful of guests had lunch before Park Service patrol cars blocked the driveways, turning on their orange flashing lights. Rangers turned customers away, saying the government was closed.

The government employees were apparently incapable of distinguishing between the government and an inn. It’s a natural mistake since they have a free lunch.

“If they were government employees, they’d get back pay when government re-funded,” said Baird Lefter of Waynesville, N.C., in a valley about 20 miles northwest of the inn. He was dining with his wife and a friend. “They are just being shut out of work. And if they haven’t closed the parkway why should they close the concessions?”

100 employees are idled; 35 live on the property.

But wait.

There’s a perfectly good reason why the government can’t allow a restaurant that it doesn’t fund to stay open, but has the resources to send employees to keep people from eating there.

The parkway’s chief ranger, Steve Stinnett, said Park Service managers in Washington directed him to block access to the inn at milepost 408.6 and ensure “people don’t utilize a business that, according to the federal government, is closed.”

The business is open. But the government has decided it’s really closed. So the government sent its enforcers down to prevent people from patronizing a business that is open to make reality conform to the government’s view of reality.

The oceans better watch out.

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/the-single-most-insane-government-shutdown-quote/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:56:07 am by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

Re: The single most insane Government shutdown quote
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:41 am »
This is what "soft" tyranny looks like, folks. Get used to it. America's been heading down this road for decades. It won't stop unless "we the people" make it stop. What are the odds we can make DC respect the Constitution again? Any gamblers out there?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:16:01 pm »
"The business is open. But the government has decided it’s really closed. So the government sent its enforcers down to prevent people from patronizing a business that is open to make reality conform to the government’s view of reality.

“The chaplain had mastered, in a moment of divine intuition, the handy technique of protective rationalization, and he was exhilarated by his discovery. It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
  ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:42:42 pm »
This is what "soft" tyranny looks like, folks. Get used to it. America's been heading down this road for decades. It won't stop unless "we the people" make it stop. What are the odds we can make DC respect the Constitution again? Any gamblers out there?

People like Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Mike Lee and others give me hope, but I am a realist, and not too much of an optimist right now that things will start to turn around yet.  I think it's going to get a whole lot worse before the LIV wakes up and joins us radicals. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »

Well said aligncare! Well said indeed! No bet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:13:35 pm »

There is no constitution. The government is closed

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 01:43:58 pm »
People like Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Mike Lee and others give me hope, but I am a realist, and not too much of an optimist right now that things will start to turn around yet.  I think it's going to get a whole lot worse before the LIV wakes up and joins us radicals.

I think we delude ourselves calling them Low Information Voters. I would agree that such a thing exists, a voter who is otherwise undamaged in thought process and doesn't get the proper information.

I think the situation with most of what we call LIVs is much worse. I think the majority of what we call LIVs are actually damaged voters. They are damaged in the sense that they are unable to apply critical thinking skills to what they are told by the media. They are also damaged in the sense that they've been indoctrinated and see government as the ultimate solution to most of their problems.

It's a grim picture.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »
I think we delude ourselves calling them Low Information Voters. I would agree that such a thing exists, a voter who is otherwise undamaged in thought process and doesn't get the proper information.

I think the situation with most of what we call LIVs is much worse. I think the majority of what we call LIVs are actually damaged voters. They are damaged in the sense that they are unable to apply critical thinking skills to what they are told by the media. They are also damaged in the sense that they've been indoctrinated and see government as the ultimate solution to most of their problems.

It's a grim picture.

:thumbsup:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:51:41 pm »

It's a grim picture.

Critical thinking skills have been completely taken out of our public education system...and it shows.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:08:51 pm »
Critical thinking skills have been completely taken out of our public education system...and it shows.

That is correct, and the effort has been accomplished with an intention of creating a mass of people submissive to authority, and incapable of distinguishing the manner or means by which they are being deceived.

Our schools were once designed to create citizens. Now they create sheep.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:51 pm »
That is correct, and the effort has been accomplished with an intention of creating a mass of people submissive to authority, and incapable of distinguishing the manner or means by which they are being deceived.

Our schools were once designed to create citizens. Now they create sheep.

This is our mistake. While this was going on, we conservatives did what conservatives do, took care of our own. We homeschooled, or moved our kids to parochial schools. In general, we fled the public schools and allowed liberals free reign in the public schools. This was a major mistake, in fact it is the core, the beginning of the end. With the ability to indoctrinate, not educate, the public schools have been churning out mush heads for 2+ generations.

Throughout the years, dictators have known controlling the children is the way to get what they want, (yes, I'm thinking of Hitler). We let the left gain the advantage, and now we're paying. And will continue to pay for many years.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 02:37:51 pm »
This is our mistake. While this was going on, we conservatives did what conservatives do, took care of our own. We homeschooled, or moved our kids to parochial schools. In general, we fled the public schools and allowed liberals free reign in the public schools. This was a major mistake, in fact it is the core, the beginning of the end. With the ability to indoctrinate, not educate, the public schools have been churning out mush heads for 2+ generations.

Throughout the years, dictators have known controlling the children is the way to get what they want, (yes, I'm thinking of Hitler). We let the left gain the advantage, and now we're paying. And will continue to pay for many years.

You are right, again. Progressives used our own virtues against us. To defeat their efforts, we must use our virtues against them.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 02:51:26 pm »
You are right, again. Progressives used our own virtues against us. To defeat their efforts, we must use our virtues against them.

We can no longer stand on the sidelines and remain silent. We must involve ourselves at every level and in every possible way if we are ever to turn this around!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:39 am »
[[ This is what "soft" tyranny looks like, folks. Get used to it. America's been heading down this road for decades. It won't stop unless "we the people" make it stop. What are the odds we can make DC respect the Constitution again? Any gamblers out there? ]]

It won't happen until a group of states unite in opposition to the DC government, and those states are willing to open up "the third box". Only then will it become clear "which side everyone is on", including the military.

But then, we've been down that road before.

If that _doesn't_ happen, Americans better accept the reality of tyranny and an ever-increasing Orwellian police state.

Tyrants don't give up being tyrants until they are _stopped_ from doing same.
That's part of the human condition. It's human nature.
Where in history has that not been true?
What makes anyone think it could be any different here?

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »

Every time I see little kids being supervised by adults playing football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. I cringe with dread for America.  When I was young we always knew where we could find others to play the sport of the season.  We learned to negotiate, we learned to accept others even if they weren't very good, se learned not to always blame others, we learned to share our equipment, we learned to make rules, etc.  Now little kids learn nothing but to depend on someone else to tell them what to do, how to do it, and when to do it; thinking is gone. 8888crybaby

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »
As seen on this model this new uniform of National Park Service thugs, er, employees, will soon be standard. 

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 08:01:35 pm »
Every time I see little kids being supervised by adults playing football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. I cringe with dread for America.  When I was young we always knew where we could find others to play the sport of the season.  We learned to negotiate, we learned to accept others even if they weren't very good, se learned not to always blame others, we learned to share our equipment, we learned to make rules, etc.  Now little kids learn nothing but to depend on someone else to tell them what to do, how to do it, and when to do it; thinking is gone. 8888crybaby

Excellent Point. I never thought about it that way before. How do we raise up individuals when our children are so over supervised?

Offline Relic

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:40 pm »
Excellent Point. I never thought about it that way before. How do we raise up individuals when our children are so over supervised?

It is an excellent point.

I remember 2 on 2 football in the street. Baseball with pitchers hand, ghost runners, and closed fields. Basketball in the driveway. Wiffle ball home run derbys. Just to name some of the more sane things we did. We had to think, and create our own entertainment.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 08:17:39 pm »
It is an excellent point.

I remember 2 on 2 football in the street. Baseball with pitchers hand, ghost runners, and closed fields. Basketball in the driveway. Wiffle ball home run derbys. Just to name some of the more sane things we did. We had to think, and create our own entertainment.

Every Sunday afternoon in the fall we gathered on the Jr. High school football field and played tackle football without pads, shoes, or refs and no one ever got hurt very badly although some thought they were at times.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:29 pm »
Every Sunday afternoon in the fall we gathered on the Jr. High school football field and played tackle football without pads, shoes, or refs and no one ever got hurt very badly although some thought they were at times.

Great times. I played for the High School team, and also participated in those Sunday games. We had to get past the fence, but it wasn't too much of a challenge. Ahhh, those were, in fact, the good old days.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:40 pm »
Great times. I played for the High School team, and also participated in those Sunday games. We had to get past the fence, but it wasn't too much of a challenge. Ahhh, those were, in fact, the good old days.

Yes indeed! PC had yet to be invented!

My H.S. Baseball coach (a former professional player) used to hit fungos to the outfields routinely using golf balls instead of baseballs. Believe me you learned quickly to WATCH the ball!

- J. R. R. Tolkien