Author Topic: Rev. Billy Graham prepares 'Perhaps.....my last message'  (Read 1201 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
Rev. Billy Graham prepares 'Perhaps.....my last message'
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:45:15 AM »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Rev. Billy Graham prepares 'Perhaps.....my last message'
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:15:05 AM »
Rev. Graham's path is not mine. Yet he is well worth listening to, regardless and one always to be respected.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
Billy is going to be leaving us soon, I fear.

There is no man on earth I admire or admire more.  He has consistently told the message of Jesus Christ, and the salvation that comes ONLY through Him.  He has consistently led a life of complete integrity, and has led his organization with exemplary transparency and honor.  (One slip of opinion on Clinton!)

He loves the Lord.  He loved his dear wife.  He loves his family, and they love him.

He has been a beacon of truth for decades, and he has been the chaplain of Presidents of both parties.

But he is so strongly opposed to the valueless "president" we have now, and sees so clearly what he is doing to this country, that he understands that America cannot recover from the damage being done................without revival.

The path that Billy Graham has taken is the one that God, through Jesus Christ, has led him on, and I pray that in his remaining time he can continue to speak the truth, as he is doing right now.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »
Religion is the opiate of the masses.  Truer words have never been spoken.  It's easier to slice one's throat, pick one's pocket or place one's hands and feet in chains then when one is looking to the Heaven's for remedy.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
Religion is the opiate of the masses.  Truer words have never been spoken.  It's easier to slice one's throat, pick one's pocket or place one's hands and feet in chains then when one is looking to the Heaven's for remedy.

You're quoting Marx to support your case?

Odd.......

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
You're quoting Marx to support your case?

Odd.......

Even a broken clock

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Even a broken clock

Not with this one, olde north church...................not with this one.

Marxism in this area may suit your feelings against Christians, but Marx was no more right about religion than he was about the economy.

Sorry.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
Not with this one, olde north church...................not with this one.

Marxism in this area may suit your feelings against Christians, but Marx was no more right about religion than he was about the economy.

Sorry.

I wouldn't single out Christians.  The poverty, squalor and other deprivations people have accepted as suitable living conditions based upon what they accept as wishes of their personal deity is the sin.
Again, we can agree to disagree but my argument isn't with the Creator.  It's with those who claim to be his messenger.
Always nice chatting with you.  Be well.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »
I wouldn't single out Christians.  The poverty, squalor and other deprivations people have accepted as suitable living conditions based upon what they accept as wishes of their personal deity is the sin.
Again, we can agree to disagree but my argument isn't with the Creator.  It's with those who claim to be his messenger.
Always nice chatting with you.  Be well.

But Marx was most likely talking about us Christians when he called us druggies, wasn't he?  Think he was talking about anyone else, living there in Germany?

My point is that your quoting Marx to vent your feelings against Billy Graham was a tad bizarre.

And on that, I'm sure you will disagree...........but you have been agreeable this time, so thanks for that.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
But Marx was most likely talking about us Christians when he called us druggies, wasn't he?  Think he was talking about anyone else, living there in Germany?

My point is that your quoting Marx to vent your feelings against Billy Graham was a tad bizarre.

And on that, I'm sure you will disagree...........but you have been agreeable this time, so thanks for that.

I have no personal animosity toward Rev Graham.  I actually have a great deal of respect for him.  I have a great deal of respect for his son for having the courage to speak against radical islam.  I would actually consider him, if one could, the Reverend Laureate for America.  He has ministered to many in the government that he has had obvious disagreements.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »
I know Marx meant to be offensive toward Christianity when he wrote that, but he has a bit of a point. Compare Marx to, say, Richard Dawkins and other militant atheists of our era, who blame Christianity and religion in general for all forms of evil, war, and wrongdoing against our fellow man.

If Marx, the militant atheist of his day, openly admitted that religion was (to his dismay) a tool of peace, it totally deflates the arguments of the modern atheist movement.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
I have no personal animosity toward Rev Graham.  I actually have a great deal of respect for him.  I have a great deal of respect for his son for having the courage to speak against radical islam.  I would actually consider him, if one could, the Reverend Laureate for America.  He has ministered to many in the government that he has had obvious disagreements.

OK then, if this is true, your first point quoting Marx was entirely pointless.........was it not?

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
OK then, if this is true, your first point quoting Marx was entirely pointless.........was it not?

Not really.  First, I don't think any statement gets the gist of deception (I'm sorry it's not the exact word I want.  I'm struggling to find it.).  The deception of the clergy.  The self-deception of the believers.
Again, Marx may have been referring to Christians but I think that's entirely beside that point.  He was living in Christian Europe, as a Jew.  I don't think there was much distinction between observant and non-observant Jews in the 19th Century, considering the amount of anti-Semitism.
Would he have written this in India surrounded by Hindus?  Who can say.  I think it was a response to what he knew.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »
Not really.  First, I don't think any statement gets the gist of deception (I'm sorry it's not the exact word I want.  I'm struggling to find it.).  The deception of the clergy.  The self-deception of the believers.
Again, Marx may have been referring to Christians but I think that's entirely beside that point.  He was living in Christian Europe, as a Jew.  I don't think there was much distinction between observant and non-observant Jews in the 19th Century, considering the amount of anti-Semitism.
Would he have written this in India surrounded by Hindus?  Who can say.  I think it was a response to what he knew.

This is not the place to debate the correctness, or error of your view regarding who's deceiving whom.

But let me put in my final thought by noting that Karl Marx was fooled by the Father of all Lies, as were his followers.

And point out as well that Jesus didn't lie.  His followers are obviously sinful, but that doesn't change the reality of who HE is.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 06:18:24 PM »
For more information about this "last message," visit the website My Hope with Billy Graham.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf