Author Topic: Shutdown meltdown: Elderly residents kicked out of private Lake Mead homes; 60 families affected  (Read 1175 times)

famousdayandyear

http://twitchy.com/2013/10/06/shutdown-meltdown-elderly-residents-kicked-out-of-private-lake-mead-homes-60-families-affected/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Shutdown meltdown: Elderly residents kicked out of private Lake Mead homes; 60 families affected
Posted at 8:27 am on October 6, 2013

The party that ran ads with @pryan throwing grandma off a cliff just kicked an elderly couple out of their home http://t.co/i6v6ZXjGva
    —
    Amy Otto (@CAAmyO) October 06, 2013

Nail on the head.

Thanks to President Stompy Foot, elderly residents have been forced out of their private homes on Lake Mead because they happen to be located on federal land.

It’s shutdown theater gone wild.

Obama administration forces elderly couple out of their home because it sits on federal land. ktnv.com/news/local/Lak…—
    B Fojtik (@PositiveEnerG) October 06, 2013

Elderly couple forced out of home at Lake Mead #insane #obama #shutdown RT #viral ktnv.com/news/local/226…—
    Dawn (@3Quarters2Day) October 06, 2013

The government shutdown has forced those with vacation homes on the north shore of Lake Mead to pack up and leave. reviewjr.nl/19sH7GM—
    Review-Journal (@reviewjournal) October 06, 2013

As the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports, some 60 families were given notice:

Bob Hitchcock is in his “least favorite place” these days — inside his landlocked Las Vegas home instead of at his cabin on the North Shore of Lake Mead, tooling around with old engines in his garage.

He’s one of an estimated 60 families with vacation homes along the lake who were given notice by the National Park Service earlier this week to gather their stuff and leave, according to Christie Vanover, a spokeswoman for the Lake Mead Recreational Area.

The homes — from Stewart’s Point on the north to Katherine’s Landing and Temple Bar on the south — sit on federal land.

As a result, the federal government shutdown left Hitchcock just 24 hours to evacuate his two-bedroom, two bath cabin in Stewart’s Point, about 70 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

…“I wouldn’t call it a government shutdown,” said Hitchcock, 71, a retired zone manager for 7-Eleven. “I’d call it a government meltdown. If my kids ever acted like these politicians are acting — it’s probably not politically correct to say this anymore — but I’d beat the crap out of them, then send them to their rooms.”

KNTV has the story of another elderly couple affected by Obama’s shutdown evacuation notices.

President Stompy Foot strikes again! This time it’s forcing an elderly couple out of private homes on federal land. ktnv.com/news/local/226…—
    Ken Gardner (@kesgardner) October 06, 2013

The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they’re being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They’ve been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn’t an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they’ve owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

“I had to go to town today and buy Ralph undershirts and jeans because I forgot his pants,” Joyce Spencer told Action News.

The Stewart’s Point home sits on federal land, so even though the Spencers own their cabin outright, they’re not allowed in until the government reopens.

Obama kicks people out of private homes. Blames government shutdown and Republicans. ktnv.com/news/local/Lak…—
    William L (@WDLKD) October 06, 2013

Why does @BarackObama hate senior citizens? > Lake Mead property owners forced out until shutdown ends ktnv.com/news/local/226…—
    Rachel (@esqcapades) October 06, 2013

Attention, GOP.

If this couple isn't testifying on Capitol Hill by Tuesday, I want the entire House GOP caucus impeached: ktnv.com/news/local/226…—
    David Freddoso (@freddoso) October 06, 2013

Reminder:

@CAAmyO Apparently 0bama & Biden forget *their* homes are on Fed’l land.—
    WitCoHE (@EricStrobel) October 06, 2013

WAIT! Øbama threw people out of their homes on Lake Mead as they sat on Federal Land? Last time I checked, the White House does as well!—
    Tom Francois (@Tom_Francois) October 06, 2013

Turnabout is fair play.

If senior citizens in private homes on fed lands are thrown out of homes, then people in taxpayer owned homes should leave too. @BarackObama—
    Rachel (@esqcapades) October 06, 2013

If the feds are doing this, why hasn't the East wing been roped off? ktnv.com/news/local/226…—
    David Freddoso (@freddoso) October 06, 2013

Americans are pretty attached to the idea of Home. Kick somebody out of their home for no good reason… That's gotta have consequences.—
    Arthur Kimes (@ComradeArthur) October 06, 2013

Remember: You can’t fix craven fecklessness, but you can vote it out.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I sincerely hope that they blame Barack Obama next November. 

The Republicans are going to have to decide to unite in this stand.  Do NOT distance themselves from Senator Cruz.

But I have to admit.....this is tantamount to the commercial showing Ryan throwing Granny off the cliff in the wheelchair.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

Tantamount means "equivalent to" -- for yall rednecks out there.

DC, you saying

1) Disallowing residents access to their homes is equivalent to a video portrayal of a man pushing his grandmother off a cliff?

or

2) The emotional response of being thrown out of your home is the same as viewing same video?

PS:  I'm an not being obtuse

Offline DCPatriot

I'm picturing the low information voter seeing it every half-inning of every MLB game all damned Summer long.

Only it won't be a caricature of Ryan dumping a dummy dressed like Grandma.....it'll be a solemn B&W documentary-style hit piece with the same effect the SPCAA does with the sad, abused animals.

That's what bothers me.   

Take a look at what Obama gets away with saying today.....that he bends over backwards to work with Republicans.  He accuses Cruz of doing what he's been doing since his 04 Convention keynote speech.

Without the existence of an unbiased mainstream media, the only way to win is go directly to the people.  Cruz is in a position to make this happen....even if it means he falls on his sword.

People ARE suffering because of Obamacare.   

.....the irony of that 'word'     He doesn't care.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:19:51 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

I'm picturing the low information voter seeing it every half-inning of every MLB game all damned Summer long.

Only it won't be a caricature of Ryan dumping a dummy dressed like Grandma.....it'll be a solemn B&W documentary-style hit piece with the same effect the SPCAA does with the sad, abused animals.

That's what bothers me.   

Take a look at what Obama gets away with saying today.....that he bends over backwards to work with Republicans.  He accuses Cruz of doing what he's been doing since his 04 Convention keynote speech.

Without the existence of an unbiased mainstream media, the only way to win is go directly to the people.  Cruz is in a position to make this happen....even if it means he falls on his sword.

People ARE suffering because of Obamacare.   

.....the irony of that 'word'     He doesn't care.

Great points!  One caution:  A day at a time.  No telling if we'll even have another election based on the ways events are progressing.

Offline DCPatriot

No telling if we'll even have another election based on the ways events are progressing.

Wash your mouth!   :nono:

famousdayandyear

Wash your mouth!   :nono:

See you at the "rehab" camp.  (Can I bunk next to you?)