Author Topic: Thoughts on government: not mine; people wiser than I  (Read 995 times)

rangerrebew

Thoughts on government: not mine; people wiser than I
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »
The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem.
Milton Friedman

Government 'help' to business is just as disastrous as government persecution... the only way a government can be of service to national prosperity is by keeping its hands off.
Ayn Rand

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
Thomas Jefferson

People try to live within their income so they can afford to pay taxes to a government that can't live within its income.
Robert Half

For in reason, all government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery.
Jonathan Swift

Feeling good about government is like looking on the bright side of any catastrophe. When you quit looking on the bright side, the catastrophe is still there.
P. J. O'Rourke

If men were angels, no government would be necessary.
James Madison

Ninety eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them.
Lily Tomlin

I have long believed taxpayers make better use of their money than the government ever could.
Kay Bailey Hutchison

If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy.
Thomas Jefferson

Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced.
Albert Einstein

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.  Abraham Lincoln