Author Topic: The Civil War in COLOR for the first time:Painstakingly re-mastered images of a divided America that recreate era in amazing detail.  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Olivia

Two professional colorists have combined their skills with photographs and fascination with the American Civil War to create a remarkable series of color photographs from the era.

British colorist Jordan Lloyd, 27, met fellow colorist Mads Madsen, 19, from Denmark when he started posting on Madsen's subreddit 'Colorized History'.

Initially it was Madsen who was colorizing images from the Civil War era, but Lloyd eventually got interested and now the two work together restoring the images, improving their technique by giving each other critiques.

Madsen has been interested in the Civil War since he was 12, and was especially fascinated by all the images that emerged from the conflict.

'I love the fact that you can see veins in the eyes of humans born over 200 years ago as clear as day,' Madsen told MailOnline.

With amazing attention to detail, the pictures that Lloyd and Madsen have rendered in color paint a picture of the era and its characters, heroes and villains.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446391/Amazing-Civil-War-photographs-created-colorist-bring-eras-heroes-characters-life-color-time.html#ixzz2gxdEcWEV

Great pictures!

Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Wow, some of those renditions are amazing.  Thanks for posting!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
These are fascinating photos, and I am glad to see them as they add to my perception of the people and events depicted.  On the other hand, I would hope these images never replace the originals for the same reason I hope colorized versions of b&w movies never replace the originals.  The original black and white images represent the best the artists and archivists could do given the technology available to them at the time, and their work should be appreciated for what it was.

I must admit, though, these digitally remastered babies are pretty awesome.

famousdayandyear

Saw no remastered battlefield scenes.  Blood is always red, I suppose.  Mark Twain--a Confederate deserter.  Did not know that.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

That picture of Lewis Powell?  (Booth's co-conspirator)  In the colorized photo, he looks just like a contemporary man.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Saw no remastered battlefield scenes.  Blood is always red, I suppose.  Mark Twain--a Confederate deserter.  Did not know that.

It's the first I'd heard of it as well.  You'd think he'd have been criticized heavily in the South for this, particularly after Huckleberry Finn was written.

famousdayandyear

It's the first I'd heard of it as well.  You'd think he'd have been criticized heavily in the South for this, particularly after Huckleberry Finn was written.

Curious POV.  I would be more interested in a remastered scene from Gettysburg, for example.  (Do not understand why Mark Twain was included in this collection--being all "disassociated" from the whole bloody mess -- so to speak.)

Online mountaineer

That picture of Lewis Powell?  (Booth's co-conspirator)  In the colorized photo, he looks just like a contemporary man.
I always thought he appeared the most "modern" of the conspirators. Fascinating stuff.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

mmmm....In the 1860's Lewis Powell was a "contemporary man".   Men from the nineteenth century may have dressed differently, but the distinction ends there.  They did not look or THINK differently.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
mmmm....In the 1860's Lewis Powell was a "contemporary man".   Men from the nineteenth century may have dressed differently, but the distinction ends there.  They did not look or THINK differently.
The fact that he was clean shaven (he was, after all, only 21 at the time) and his hair was in a style not different from modern hair does make him look a bit anachronistic. The pose in the picture also makes a difference (as the pictures showed, most photographs were formal seated portraits at the time; most of the photos of Powell were while he was incarcerated).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline NavyCanDo

If photos were allowed to be candid rather than posed I think we would find many of them would look not much different than we do today if not for the fact that facial hair was more prominent, and for the clothing styles of the day.   The length of time they had to sit perfectly still for a photo to come out did not lend well to relaxed photos with smiles.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn