Author Topic: Sir Bob Geldof: 'All humans will die before 2030'  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Sir Bob Geldof: 'All humans will die before 2030'
« on: October 06, 2013, 06:43:01 pm »
Sir? When did that happen?

The musician-turned-activist reckons the world will end in 2030 - leading to the extinction of humankind.

Sir Bob, 61, based his miserable prediction on the effects of climate change.

“The world can decide in a fit of madness to kill itself," he told a group of youngsters at a summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The former Boomtown Rats singer also warned "the next war will not be a World War One or a World War Two, it will be the end."

He added: "We may not get to 2030. We need to address the problem of climate change urgently."

Sir Bob is best-known for his attempts in helping to fight famine in Africa, staging Live Aid at Wembley Stadium in 1985.

He finished his speech by apologising for being "bloody miserable", but added: "just get on with it".

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/342876/Sir-Bob-Geldof-All-humans-will-die-before-2030

Oh, and have a nice day.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Sir Bob Geldof: 'All humans will die before 2030'
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:45:48 pm »
It's an honorary knighthood. He should not be referred to as Sir in any public setting.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »
It's an honorary knighthood. He should not be referred to as Sir in any public setting.

Why thank you for that bit of proper etiquette, EC. I shall refrain from calling his "Sir" in any public setting just as you say, though I have no idea what an "honorary knighthood" could possibly mean. Besides I have no idea how many opportunities I might have to do so in my remaining 17 (16 1/4?) years of life.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »
 :tongue2:

If Bob Geldof was a UK citizen, calling him Sir Bob would be perfectly acceptable. He isn't - he's Irish, so the KBE he was granted is a sign of royal favor but not binding.

If you were awarded a KBE, as a non native, you would be referred to as Cincinnatus, KBE, not Sir Cincinnatus.

I like these obscure protocol things  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:04:46 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
Dat be retarded, sur.... (Rachel Jantael)

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 07:55:29 pm »
From what I understand, we're good 'til 9595.  Well, if man is still alive and if woman can survive.  We could thrive.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:42:13 pm »
2030, eh? I suppose it's not too early to start making plans for an "End of Humankind" party.

BTW- who (or what) is going to take our place?
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »
Him first.......   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »
The musician-turned-activist reckons the world will end in 2030 - leading to the extinction of humankind.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:49:47 pm »
Sir Bob is best-known for his attempts in helping to fight famine in Africa, staging Live Aid at Wembley Stadium in 1985.

IIRC, "Live Aid" made the performers rich and didn't help the starving in Africa one little bit.

Methinks sir bob is a phony.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 12:31:44 am »

Your sentiments may be correct, MusicLady, but please do not refer to him by that title in public. I have it on good authority that is simply not proper.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 01:47:53 am »

Your sentiments may be correct, MusicLady, but please do not refer to him by that title in public. I have it on good authority that is simply not proper.

Without the capital S, the title means absolutely nothing.   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.