Author Topic: 2014 poll: GOP could lose the House  (Read 1671 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
2014 poll: GOP could lose the House
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:20:57 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=D29E872B-87DE-4247-935C-ED8662356F34

2014 poll: GOP could lose the House
By: Lucy McCalmont
October 6, 2013 10:54 AM EDT

The Republican Party could be in danger of losing control of the House in 2014, new polls on Sunday show.

In a survey of 24 seats, Republicans fall behind in 17 head-to-head matches against “generic Democrat candidates” among registered voters and lag in an additional four districts when respondents are told the Republican candidate supported the shutdown, according to the surveys by Public Policy Polling which were funded by the liberal group, MoveOn.org

Democrats would need to pick up 17 seats to take over the House - something the polling reveals could be within reach.

One district that shows a favorable position for a Democratic challenger is N.Y.-19, the high-profile contest in which Sean Eldridge, the husband of Facebook co-founder and New Republic owner Chris Hughes, is looking to unseat the Republican incumbent, Chris Gibson. However, Eldridge’s name does not appear on the survey as the challenger.

The House Republicans that trail in races with no previous information given on the shutdown are: California’s Gary Miller, Colorado’s Michael Coffman, Florida Reps. Steve Southerland and Bill Young, Iowa’s Tom Latham and Steve King, Illinois’ Rodney Davis, Kentucky’s Andy Barr, Michigan’s Dan Benishek,Tim Walberg and Kerry Bentivolio, New York’s Chris Gibson, Ohio’s David Joyce, Pennsylvania’s Pat Meehan and Mike Fitzpatrick and Wisconsin’s Sean Duffy.

The poll also found that a majority of respondents opposed the government shutdown as a means to “to stop the health care law from being put into place.”

The 24 state surveys were conducted Sept. 2 to Sept. 4 and with sample sizes ranging from 600 to 700 voters.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: 2014 poll: GOP could lose the House
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
Right.  consider the source.

Offline Olivia

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »
Politico!  The 5th branch of the democrat party! 
These polls are useless and becoming so common that intelligent people have stopped paying attention.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:34:57 pm »
I don't think I've ever seen a poll where "generic Democrat" is losing an election.

The problem is, "generic Democrat" will not be running.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »
Right.  consider the source.

Yep, most of us bought that "consider the source" stuff in 2012.

The sources were right.  :shrug:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
This whole thing hasn't even played out yet.  I am really wondering what Americans' reactions are going to be when they finally can get into the Obamacare sites and get a gander of their new monthly premium. 

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 06:22:17 pm »
"I am really wondering what Americans' reactions are going to be when they finally can get into the Obamacare sites and get a gander of their new monthly premium."

Meet Tom Waschura, Californian, father of two – oh, and right: Obama supporter. Just got a letter from his healthcare provider telling him that his private health insurance just went up by ten grand a year:

“I was laughing at Boehner — until the mail came today,” Waschura said, referring to House Speaker John Boehner, who is leading the Republican charge to defund Obamacare.

“I really don’t like the Republican tactics, but at least now I can understand why they are so pissed about this. When you take $10,000 out of my family’s pocket each year, that’s otherwise disposable income or retirement savings that will not be going into our local economy.”

Let me tell you a secret: we don’t need people like Mr. Waschura to love us. We just need people like him to vote their class interests, to quote the Marxists who unaccountably confidently expect this rotating disaster of a health care rationing system to fuel public outcry for socialized medicine. They don’t have to vote Republican forever, you know. We’ll be happy if they vote Republican just enough to allow the party to kill this thing. With that in mind, let me just be the first to assure Mr. Waschura that his hope that the rates will be adjusted down in a few years is only half-justified: left unchecked, they will be adjusted. Only upwards. The Democrats always expected and planned that Obamacare would be funded by raiding the incomes of as many people as possible; making the insurance companies the mechanism for jacking up premiums was the only way to get the insurance companies on-board.

In other words, Mr. Waschura: what happened to you was not a bug in the system. It is the system. And now you have to ask yourself: are you really prepared to pay ten grand a year and rising for the privilege of having a legislator theatrically agree with you on, say, first-trimester abortion? – Because I’m sure that the California Republican party will be able to find a candidate that won’t go out of his or her way to aggravate you on that topic.

We’ll finish this up with an observation from Cindy Vinson. Also Californian, also Obama supporter; she got hit with a $1,800/year increase on her individual policy.

“Of course, I want people to have health care,” Vinson said. “I just didn’t realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally.”
[emphasis added]

http://www.redstate.com/2013/10/06/california-exchanges-sticker-shock-obamacare/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:23:32 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 06:23:48 pm »
This whole thing hasn't even played out yet.  I am really wondering what Americans' reactions are going to be when they finally can get into the Obamacare sites and get a gander of their new monthly premium.

The media will tell them the rates are a product of Republican obstructionism. The media will say that it's just a glitch, Democrats care about and are fighting for the little guy, and it will get better.

There will be minor unrest, but most will go back to their smartphones and continue along, unconcerned, totally happy knowing it's all the fault of Republicans.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:29:17 pm »

We’ll finish this up with an observation from Cindy Vinson. Also Californian, also Obama supporter; she got hit with a $1,800/year increase on her individual policy.

“Of course, I want people to have health care,” Vinson said. “I just didn’t realize I would be the one who was going to pay for it personally.”

Heh