Author Topic: Feds evict elderly couple from their home, cite shutdown (not satire,)  (Read 1503 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
National Park Service officials cited the government shutdown as the reason for ordering an elderly Nevada couple out of their home, which sits on federal land.

"Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen," an NPS spokesman explained to KTNV.

Ralph and Joyce Spencer, aged 80 and 77, respectively, own their home, but the government owns the land on which it sits.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Joyce Spencer told the local news outlet. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

Similarly, the NPS forced privately-operated inns on the Blue Ridge Parkway to close during the shut down.

“We've been told to make life as difficult for people as we can," an unnamed park ranger told the Washington Times. "It's disgusting.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/feds-evict-elderly-couple-from-their-home-cite-shutdown/article/2536875?custom_click=rss

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Feds evict elderly couple from their home, cite shutdown (not satire,)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:44:43 pm »
Let's call it like it is. Senator Reid owns it, he made it, and it is his baby.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »
Let's call it like it is. Senator Reid owns it, he made it, and it is his baby.
Very true! The dimocrats (mispelled intentionally) are overplaying their hand as the inevitably do always!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

"I had to go to town today and buy Ralph undershirts and jeans because I forgot his pants," Joyce Spencer told Action News.

The Stewart's Point home sits on federal land, so even though the Spencers own their cabin outright, they're not allowed in until the government reopens.

Park officials said property owners can visit only to retrieve belongings; they sent Action News a statement which reads in part, "Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen."

Joyce Spencer said she's alright in the meantime, staying with nearby family, but the move was a lot to handle as a senior citizen.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Spencer said. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

The Lake Mead properties are considered vacation homes; one of the lease requirements to own a plot is people must have an alternative residence.

Regardless, the Spencers said it's their property and they should be allowed in, shutdown or not.

Video at link: http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/226557661.html