Author Topic: Armed Forces Network Cuts Sports, Entertainment Programs For Troops, But Continues News  (Read 973 times)

famousdayandyear

http://weaselzippers.us/

Armed Forces Network Cuts Sports, Entertainment Programs For Troops, But Continues News

This is what we woke up to on our TV – American Forces Network goes dark. #AFN #Congress pic.twitter.com/2Yw9We0rGv

— Two Crabs (@twocrabs) October 1, 2013

So basically, again, not a monetary decision, but a pinhead decision, not about actually saving any money. According to AFN, “we determined”(whoever “we” is) that it wasn’t right to run it, given the law, that it was “non-essential” according to the DoD directive.

Via Newsmax:

U.S. troops deployed worldwide won’t get to watch their favorite pro sports teams while the government is closed for business.

The American Forces Network will not broadcast Major League Baseball playoff games or this weekend’s NFL games during the government shutdown, according to its Facebook page.

“We determined we do not have a sound policy or legal basis to air the sports channels at this time because it is not deemed critical to … military operations and activities,” the post reads. “In essence, we think we should walk a careful line on not providing any programs beyond the news/information realm, which can be clearly tied to direct support of force protection, situational awareness and readiness.”

The decision drew angry response from AFN Facebook and Twitter followers:

“We can read the news online, sports is more of a moral lifter, especially for the troops deployed.”

“I made due with all the cruddy commercials you play. Now you take away my football on the weekends.”

“I find this appalling. What a slap in the face to morale to these guys who cling to things like this to feel connected to back home.”

famousdayandyear

My view is Obama cuts the NFL games for our troops because it is not ISLAMIC.

rangerrebew

Who do you suppose the DOD has provide it's news?  The Communist News Network, the last I knew! :3:

Offline musiclady

“We determined we do not have a sound policy or legal basis to air the sports channels at this time because it is not deemed critical to … military operations and activities,”

Whereas it's critical for military operations to show the "news" blaming the Republicans for the shutdown.

Yeah.....

right.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

famousdayandyear

Active duty combat troops are not subject to a shutdown--and somehow I doubt they give a crap. All they want is a little down time with football.