Author Topic: Feds evict elderly couple from their home, cite shutdown  (Read 1112 times)

Offline happyg

Feds evict elderly couple from their home, cite shutdown
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »
National Park Service officials cited the government shutdown as the reason for ordering an elderly Nevada couple out of their home, which sits on federal land.

"Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen," an NPS spokesman explained to KTNV.

Ralph and Joyce Spencer, aged 80 and 77, respectively, own their home, but the government owns the land on which it sits.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Joyce Spencer told the local news outlet. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

Similarly, the NPS forced privately-operated inns on the Blue Ridge Parkway to close during the shut down.

“We've been told to make life as difficult for people as we can," an unnamed park ranger told the Washington Times. "It's disgusting.”

That ranger wasn't referring to the Spencers or the Blue Ridge Parkway, though, but rather the NPS's attempt to close Mt. Vernon -- which the federal government does not own.

Mt. Vernon media director Melissa Wood told The Blaze that there had been "a misunderstanding over the ownership of the spaces.”
http://washingtonexaminer.com/feds-evict-elderly-couple-from-their-home-cite-shutdown/article/2536875?custom_click=rss#

Oceander

Re: Feds evict elderly couple from their home, cite shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
Wonderful, another government agency that's been co-opted and turned into a political weapon.

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:06:59 pm »
I thought it was the republicans who wanted to throw old people out on the street. :peeonobama:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:31 pm »
I believe the White House sits on federal land.   

Time to remove the occupant?

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 02:30:23 pm »
I believe the White House sits on federal land.   

Time to remove the occupant?

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:52:01 pm »
Now that is a classic!