Author Topic: Minnesota's Somalians on Kenya massacre: youth being told 'this is right to hate people'  (Read 841 times)

Offline flowers

http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_10_05/Minnesotas-Somalians-on-Kenya-massacre-youth-being-told-this-is-right-to-hate-people-4625/

Two weeks ago on September 21st masked attackers stormed the packed upscale Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, spraying gunfire and eventually killing nearly 70 people, dozens more were wounded. Police evacuated shopper over three days as the gunmen were pinned down with hostages. Eventually the perpetrators were identified as members of al-Shabab – a militant Islamic group from Somalia. In Minneapolis there was immediate shocking concern – Minnesota is home to tens of thousands of Somalia refugees – the largest Somalia expat community in the US. There is nothing wrong with Islamic studies in the US, but radicalization of the youth and telling them that this is the right approach to hate people is wrong, expert told the Voice of Russia. (VIDEO)
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_10_05/Minnesotas-Somalians-on-Kenya-massacre-youth-being-told-this-is-right-to-hate-people-4625/

We, as the Somali-American community are very sad about the fact of what happened in Westgate mall. And we will do a vigil tomorrow to support our Kenyan people,” - says Abdirizak Bihi, Director of the Somali Education and Advocacy Center.

“We feel hard. The victims of the horrible attack that happened in Kenya will stay with us, stay in each soul. We really pray for them all the time,” - says Barkhad, Somali Minnesotan.

There are conflicting reports in Minnesota that Somali Minnesotans may have been among those involved in the attack on the Westgate mall in Kenya. Though this has been denied by many community leaders here, many community members have expressed concerns that al-Shabab has been recruiting in the area for some time.

“This radicalization, especially here in the “Twin Cities” where you have a large number of places that teach the Islamic studies, but not only. These Islamic studies, there is nothing wrong with that. But it is that radicalization of the youth telling them that this is the right approach to hate people, which is wrong. So, you have a family breakdown, you have high unemployment in the teen area, less education,” - says Saad A. Samatar, Chairmain of the Horn Development Center.

Ka Joog is a “Twin Cities” nonprofit founded by Somalia youth to address the issues. The organization’s member want to encourage youth to attain higher education and to realize their dreams in the US through arts and cultural activities.

“I know my issues and unless you take care of the problem it is still going to be there. So, I’m finding a solution. That’s why we are here. That’s number one, the first and foremost. The second part, the problems are in resources and education, and the lack of opportunities. If you look back at these kids, they went back. Why do they go back? What made them go back? No kids are just going to go back for no reason,” - says Abdifatah Farah, Artistic Director of Ka Joog.

“In the past we’ve put together programs that not directly had the intents of deterring kids from al-Shabab by actually equipping these kids with the understanding and the capabilities so that in future instances, where they might be approached by the recruiters from extremist organizations, they would be well off and they would be ready to deny and not go down that road. We try to educate our youth as much as possible about these threats.” - says Abdul Mohamed, Ka Joog's Public Relations representative.

“One of the key things I want to change and hopefully implement is definitely economic development, creating employment for our youth, as well as educate our youth and equip them with the knowledge that they need,” - adds Mohamed Hersi, Ka Joog's Artist Manager.

For some this appears to have helped.

“We are American. We are not in Kenya. And I think al-Shabab is a threat to the whole world, not only Somalia. They can attract, so we want people to stay away from al-Shabab. They use bad influence. Islam is about peace and love and I don’t think they are doing that right now,” - Barkhad says.

“These people are not Muslim. We are Muslim. They are not Muslim if they are killing people. They kill innocent people in Somalia every day. And we have been fighting with them for a long time. Now Kenya, America, Somalia, everyone has to join hands and save the world from these people,” - Abdirizak Bihi adds.

However, the community still has a long road to travel.

“There is more that can be done in terms of educating these kids that this is their country too. They are not here on transit, this is their country. They moved from the refugee camps and became new immigrants here. So, they have to understand that the family and the community organizations, the government departments do need to educate these kids that this is their home,” - Saad A. Samatar concludes.

Offline mountaineer

They are not Muslim if they are killing people.
Okaayyy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Okaayyy.

They really want us to believe this tripe, don't they?  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

Okaayyy.

Are white supremacists who take their raison d'etre from the Biblical story of Cain and Abel Christians when they take inspiration from that story to commit violent acts against non-whites?

Seems to me the biggest problem with most muslim communities - and most muslims - is that they will not disavow those who commit violent acts in the name of Islam and Allah.  If Christians can disavow violent white supremacists, then why can't muslims disavow islamic terrorists?